KilometerMagazine.com - Shifter Requires Extreme Force to Engage into Gear (2012 GLi base 6-speed)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLi | 2012 Jetta 2.5 SE | 2013 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe
      03-20-2017 07:42 PM #1
      hi there,

Totally new to all this. Read all stickies and most FAQ pages (and searched for similar issue) to no avail.

Here's the situation:
      Car: 2012 GLi base 6 speed manual w/45K miles
      All services up to date (at dealer)

Problem:
      When I try to shift into any gear I have to really force it in. This just happened instantly, i was driving and everything was working as always, then all of a sudden the total feel of the shift gate changes and now it's almost impossible to shift. The clutch pedal feels normal, and when I get it in gear it seems to take in the usual clutch position. It's the same stiffness in any gear (incl reverse). I didn't see any fluid leak once I got home. and I don't hear any odd noises when it is in gear and moving.
      One more thing, when stationary on flat surface, with the clutch depressed and when i am trying to push the shifter into first or second (unsuccessfully) the car creeps forward.

I've read something about linkages. Could this be it? Is this something I can tackle myself?
      Also, do you think this is covered by a VW warranty? I purchased CPO and so with the extra 2yr/24K it means i am only covered for the next 20 days (original in service date was 4/10/2012). BUT, I hesitate to take to dealership if it's not covered (or should i still anyway for this kind of job).

Super Bummed

Any suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance.

Dorron M

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      03-20-2017 08:29 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by GLI4DSM View Post

I've read something about linkages. Could this be it? Is this something I can tackle myself?
      I would first check the linkages are adjusted correctly.

-Remove intake to gain better access to shifter
      -Pull back and lock springs on linkages
      -Push down on transmission shifter while in neutral and push in locking pin on right side of transmission to lock transmission
      -Go in cabin and remove shifter boot. Lock the shifter in place with a large nail (it goes thru two holes to lock it in place)
      -Verify transmission is still locked
      -Release springs on shift linkages
      -Verify you can shift cleanly through all gears. If not, repeat above process
      -Reinstall intake

Also, do you think this is covered by a VW warranty? I purchased CPO and so with the extra 2yr/24K it means i am only covered for the next 20 days (original in service date was 4/10/2012). BUT, I hesitate to take to dealership if it's not covered (or should i still anyway for this kind of job).
      You bought your car CPO on 4/10/2012? That's now how a CPO warranty works. You have 2 years OR 24K miles from when you buy it CPO. Contact the dealer and see if they'll look at it under warranty (they may charge a small diagnostic fee).

Worst case is you have bad synchros which would probably be covered under warranty.
      Fuelly | 2012 GLI M/T | APR Stage 2 | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily | Forge Short Shift | CTS Turbo Intake | GFB DV+ | AWE Tuning Touring Turbo-back | Unibrace UB | CTS Turbo Catch Can | NeuSpeed TOP | ECS Throttle Pipe | I have VCDS if you need it!

Vehicles
      2008 R32 #794 DBP 2015 jetta
      03-21-2017 12:09 AM #3
      Clutch pressure plate spring is broken. Covered under factory limited warranty and CPO. I just did one and have another one coming out this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

4. Member
      Vehicles
      13 GLI Autobahn
      03-21-2017 11:02 AM #4
      It may not apply to you.... but does the car have an aftermarket downpipe? I ask because after I installed by downpipe I had the same shifter issues. I would have to almost wrestle the car into gear. Turns out my shifter cables were laying directly on top of my downpipe. I was all se to replace shifter cables.

I fixed this by installing a shifter cable bracket to raise the cables off of the downpipe. Problem solved.

To visualize the cables you may have to remove the intake as Tanderson mentioned

Vehicles
      '14 Jetta 1.8T, '16 Tiguan, '99 911
      03-21-2017 02:25 PM #5
      Good advice above. I had a similar issue when I installed a short shifter that wasn't adjusted correctly. Is it possible the pervious owner put on a short shifter?
      If your car feels like it's on rails, then you're going too slow.

6. n00b
      Vehicles
      2012 Jetta GLi | 2012 Jetta 2.5 SE | 2013 Little Tikes Cozy Coupe
      03-21-2017 06:01 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by vwauditek25 View Post
      Clutch pressure plate spring is broken. Covered under factory limited warranty and CPO. I just did one and have another one coming out this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
      Good to know.

I just verified with VW and I'm covered for two more weeks. Whew! I just hope it's the same as your issue and that it's covered. Taking it to the VW dealership here in HB.
      This is in direct contravention of Murphy's Law which dictates that **** like this only happens two week AFTER the warranty expires.

For advertising information click HERE