KilometerMagazine.com - A4 (B9) versus A3 (MKII)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    1. Member
      Vehicles
      FWD & RWD
      03-20-2017 09:41 PM #1
      Just curious with anyone who has looked at or picked up one of these Audis. Looking for a new DD, going to lease and will see a mixture of driving environments. Both platforms are new, quattro is "better" than xDrive and 4matic and there seems to be some value (Season of Audi with the A4). Aside from size difference, what else makes one more attractive?

I also looked at a 2016 BMW 328i (dated design, new model looming), 2016 C300 4matic (really liked it, but not sure I'm ready to own a Mercedes) and Volvo S60 (surprisingly pleasant, but feel like I might grow bored with the plain jane personality).

*To get an SS, lease is horrible. Ditto the Guilia. I owned a GTI MKVI and the MKVII just seems too similar. What other TCL gem did I miss?
      Last edited by Hufeisen; 03-20-2017 at 09:48 PM.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      03-20-2017 09:44 PM #2
      Golf Alltrack would fit your bill nicely.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

3. Member
      Vehicles
      FWD & RWD
      03-20-2017 09:48 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Golf Alltrack would fit your bill nicely.
      The last time I inquired, the lease programs were not too strong and equipment wise I guess I want a little more in a DD.

Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      03-20-2017 09:54 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      The last time I inquired, the lease programs were not too strong and equipment wise I guess I want a little more in a DD.
      Really ? Thought you could option them up to Audi levels these days, including LED lights, distance radar, auto braking, etc.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

5. Member
      Vehicles
      FWD & RWD
      03-20-2017 09:57 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by J-Tim View Post
      Really ? Thought you could option them up to Audi levels these days, including LED lights, distance radar, auto braking, etc.
      LED light package cars seems to be hard to find. I have seen a few SELs, but seems most dealers are carrying S or SE models.

Vehicles
      2017 VW Golf R
      03-20-2017 10:03 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Hufeisen View Post
      Just curious with anyone who has looked at or picked up one of these Audis. Looking for a new DD, going to lease and will see a mixture of driving environments. Both platforms are new, quattro is "better" than xDrive and 4matic and there seems to be some value (Season of Audi with the A4). Aside from size difference, what else makes one more attractive?

I also looked at a 2016 BMW 328i (dated design, new model looming), 2016 C300 4matic (really liked it, but not sure I'm ready to own a Mercedes) and Volvo S60 (surprisingly pleasant, but feel like I might grow bored with the plain jane personality).

*To get an SS, lease is horrible. Ditto the Guilia. I owned a GTI MKVI and the MKVII just seems too similar. What other TCL gem did I miss?
      Well for one, the A3 is not Quattro, it has a haldex system. Personally the A3 is really just an overpriced VW. You're getting essentially a VW Golf with some extra bling. The real Audi line starts at the A4. If you want an Audi get the new A4 with the proper Quattro awd. Extremely nice cabin albeit a bit sterile in personality. Also available with a 6 speed manual if you wish.

As for the alternatives, the 340i m sport is still great, but expensive. An oddball choice could be a MINI clubman All4 perhaps? Nice premium interior and still very fun. You could get a fully loaded JCW model with all the goodies for the same price as the base entry execs. I'm not sure how MINI's lease but it is part of BMW so they could be promising. Extremely customizable too which is fun.
      Last edited by ZPayne; 03-20-2017 at 10:06 PM.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      FWD & RWD
      03-20-2017 10:15 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Well for one, the A3 is not Quattro, it has a haldex system. Personally the A3 is really just an overpriced VW. You're getting essentially a VW Golf with some extra bling. The real Audi line starts at the A4. If you want an Audi get the new A4 with the proper Quattro awd. Extremely nice cabin albeit a bit sterile in personality. Also available with a 6 speed manual if you wish.

As for the alternatives, the 340i m sport is still great, but expensive. An oddball choice could be a MINI clubman All4 perhaps? Nice premium interior and still very fun. You could get a fully loaded JCW model with all the goodies for the same price as the base entry execs. I'm not sure how MINI's lease but it is part of BMW so they could be promising. Extremely customizable too which is fun.
      Thank you for pointing that out with the quattro. The more I look at the pictures of the A4's interior, the more I like it.

Regarding your suggestions; I like the 340i M Sport, but you really start to climb in price. I like wagons and looked at the Clubman, but again to go JCW, it's more money. I really wanted to like the Clubman S, but just felt I need more speed.

Vehicles
      F31d
      03-20-2017 10:30 PM #8
      X2 for the A3, just get the A4. If I was to chose an Audi right now it would be the S5 sportback or the SQ5 (new one should be available soon)

03-20-2017 10:37 PM #9
      A4 is a nice package, the 2.0T absolutely hauls. On the Volvo, an R-Design is a great package if you can find it. Otherwise, yes, a bit dull.
      2016 Passion Red/Off-black S60 T5 R-Design
      2006 Ice White/Oak XC70
      1996 Polar White/Charcoal 854R

10. 03-20-2017 10:55 PM #10
      A3 crash ratings are significantly inferior to B9.

03-20-2017 11:09 PM #11
      I put 1,000 miles on a B9, and had a ear to ear grin the whole time. It is extremely spacious, and refined vs my old B5/6/7 a4s I owned. If you can swing the virtual cockpit, it is one of the first features that has really wowed me in years. It feels like s6 space, but at the same time it drives much better then previous iterations.

They are being aggressive right now with the lease deals, I say it is a no brainer to get the a4. The a3 seems like 2 steps down for me.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      '08 GTI, '09 C4S, '16 S3
      03-20-2017 11:18 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Kandiru1 View Post
      A3 crash ratings are significantly inferior to B9.
      Source? New A3 was designed from the outset to ace all the tests including the small overlap and is a top safety pick. Plus, it's roof can take a higher force than the new A4 (~1000lbs)

I went S3 cause I wanted a Golf R originally, but the S3 is quite a fun ride. The A4 is arguably a nicer ride, but I wanted smaller and more nimble. Can't go wrong with either!

Vehicles
      a Metro pass.
      03-21-2017 03:26 AM #13
      If you can afford the 2017 A4, I wouldn't even consider the A3. Audi really made up for the unconscionable dullness of the B8 by giving the new model a great balance of understated elegance and a look of technology. I'm sure the 3 Series is a great car but already looks much older than the A4.

Another oddball could be the Jaguar XE? I personally happen to love it, but the interior might really offend you especially after driving the Audi.
      Quote Originally Posted by Uber Wagon View Post
      I can literally eat off of that seat. She is immaculate.
      Quote Originally Posted by Sir UNBANNED_GERBIL M.B. View Post
      After 35 years of old man farts?

Vehicles
      2013 Audi S4
      03-21-2017 08:04 AM #14
      Are the A4 lease deals that good right now? Last I looked a month ago, they weren't anything special. When I had my 340i M-Sport the lease deal was better than a fairly standard Premium+ A4, also a B9.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      '03 Passat W8 6MT Variant
      03-21-2017 08:20 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by ZPayne View Post
      Well for one, the A3 is not Torsen Quattro,
      Audi markets both Torsen and Haldex AWD systems as Quattro.

For advertising information click HERE