KilometerMagazine.com - Metallic rattle from passenger side rear
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 2013 VW Passat 3.6 SE
      03-21-2017 12:13 AM #1
      Hey guys, my 2013 Passat has, as described, a metallic rattle coming from the passenger side rear trunk area.
      It does not seem to come from the rear parcel shelf. It also comes and goes. Does not do it every day. If I am outside the car, and close the
      Passenger side door, front or rear, I can hear it from the outside. sounds like it's right by the fuel door.
      The fuel door locks and opens/closes correctly. Im usually good about finding and fixing these types of things but this one has me stumped.
      Any of you experience this or have any idea's?
      It sounds like it could be or would be one of the passenger side trunk hinge springs. But they are tight and do not move from what I can tell

2. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Passat 1.8 SEL, 09 Jetta SE, 01 Audi. Prev 13 Passat TDI, 05.5 Jetta, 03 GL, 03 W8, 02 Jetta.
      03-21-2017 11:44 AM #2
      Are you convinced its outside and not inside?
      If you are hearing it when you close either passenger doors, it sounds like something is loose for sure.

My 13 had a dry bushing for the rear back seat bottom pivot mount that made noise, more of a squeak than rattle though. A little lube and good to go.
      I had someone drive me around over some roads that I new would reproduce it and finally found it, sound can really travel around and make it difficult to track down.
      Get someone to close your doors while laying under it to try and track it down.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Passat Wolfsburg 1.8T
      03-21-2017 12:18 PM #3
      Had a similar mystery rattle that was hard to locate. Swore it was coming from rear shelf somewhere... turned out to be a loose bolt on the torque converter. Dealer replaced the bolt and added some locktite. Made me nuts trying to find that damn rattle - really surprised it ended up coming from the drive train.

4. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP, 2013 VW Passat 3.6 SE
      03-21-2017 07:50 PM #4
      Yeah it is for sure coming from behind the sheet metal, or inside the car. Not outside the car.
      It did not do it on my way to work this morning, but on my way home tonight it did.
      Ill have to lay in the trunk with the seat folded down and have a friend drive around the block or something so I can
      try and find where it's coming from. It's really annoying
      It is not coming from the drive-train or the suspension
      Last edited by 13se; 03-21-2017 at 07:53 PM.

5. Member
      Vehicles
      17 Passat 1.8 SEL, 09 Jetta SE, 01 Audi. Prev 13 Passat TDI, 05.5 Jetta, 03 GL, 03 W8, 02 Jetta.
      03-21-2017 11:22 PM #5
      I hope its not your license plate, see many of them loose....

For advertising information click HERE