KilometerMagazine.com - 2018 Golf R (USA) - LED headlights/taillights, digital cockpit, 8" Discovery Pro all standard
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Golf R
      04-12-2017 10:44 AM #26
      I'm with you. I don't think the visual changes are for the better. Not a fan of the front and definitely not a fan of the wheels. I mean geez. How did those ever make it out of the design department? You could use those wheels to induce vomiting.

LED tails, glass cockpit and a larger nav screen are nice, but not worth losing sleep over. Happy I bought my R when I did.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

APR Stage 2 ECU (HO, 93), APR TCU Tune, APR Intake, APR Downpipe, APR Intercooler, Milltek exhaust, ED Springs, Euro LED Tails

2. Member
      Vehicles
      17R,LG,DSG,Tech Pk
      04-12-2017 11:39 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Look closely - the R in the promo pics is clearly a eurospec model - too many euro-only items shown, including rear fog on light switch, folding mirrors, no side markers in lights, 9.2" infotainment, and seat upholstery we don't get. Therefore the LED tails shown are euro too and we won't necessarily get them. It's quite possible that only the down-spec euro tails that the Golf & GTI are getting are the only ones that will be DOT-compliant.
      Good eye, but maybe the NA will get those other Euro features too? But I suspect you might be right about the tail lights. I hope so, because then getting the Euro lights will be even more special! ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
      Digital dash is tits - I know some don't care for it, but I'd bet most of you who don't think you like it would be won over with one demo. .
      It's the same as those smart watches with fake virtual dials on them. Fake is fake. We already have so much of our world digitized. When I was a kid I loved playing in a virtual world with virtual cars and virtual guns. Now I am an adult, I want real things: real cars and real guns. I don't want to waste time in a virtual world any more. There's something to be said about owning something with real craftmanship, real materials, real art. A nicely crafted interior is a beautiful thing. I mean - if a virtual anything is a good thing - why not digitize the entire dashboard with digitized leather and stitching, digitized curves etc. If that happens you'll yearn for the day that things were physically made instead of drawn on a computer.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      17R,LG,DSG,Tech Pk
      04-12-2017 11:50 AM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Steel28 View Post
      I know everyone excited about 7spd dsg but the front end looks awful for sure. I went through many iG pictures and even new headlights are a bit off IMO.
      I agree. I don't like the stylized side intakes, because they look like the Chevy Cruze:

and the grille changes to that rectangles design looks really off for the sport variant of the line. Even though the Mk7 Golf R is really simple in design, it is a very honest simple design. I like that the Mk7R side intakes are giant holes because Corollas and Civics and every other car out there have fake side intakes - it's getting a little idiotic. Whereas the Mk7 R has these giant holes as side intakes - nothing stylized, just honest practical performance design, that I really really appreciate in this era of fakeness. The Mk7.5R side intakes on the other hand are stylized to the point where it's not clear that they are performance intakes and kinda looks fake too.
      Last edited by supesgolfr; 04-12-2017 at 11:53 AM.

4. 04-12-2017 12:34 PM #29
      Front Bumper is just terrible. This car looks too much like the GTI.

5. Member
      04-12-2017 12:57 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by DJ_Quaaludes View Post
      Likes; 7 Speed DSG and larger infotainment
      Meh; Digital cockpit and LED headlights
      Dislikes; Body changes, wheels, tails

Not enough to make me feel jealous at all, and in my own selfish world a good thing.

Ditto! It re-affirms to me mine is a keeper.

6. 04-12-2017 01:43 PM #31
      Did they get rid of the side skirts on the mk7.5 R?!!! Looks like it just has a small lip now like the GTI. Weak!

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

7. Member
      04-12-2017 05:41 PM #32
      I drove a 2017 S3, and the start/stop was definitely defeatable via dash switch. I imagine this will be, too.

I'm curious what advantages the new DSG offers over the 6sp unit.

I think the digital dash in the R is kinda cheap looking compared to the S3 implementation.

Vehicles
      2013 FR-S, 2011 Outlander XLS, Gone: 10 Santa Fe, 08 Legacy, 02 Jetta
      04-12-2017 05:55 PM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Kretrop View Post
      I think the digital dash in the R is kinda cheap looking compared to the S3 implementation.
      I like the s3 dash as well, but how long do we think it will be before you can upload that skin/dash layout? It's going to be a modders paradise I think. (The new Camaro dash/gauge cluster is even better than the s3 if you can believe it)

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 Golf R
      04-13-2017 08:18 AM #34
      I drove a 2017 S3, and the start/stop was definitely defeatable via dash switch. I imagine this will be, too.

Is the stop/start permanently defeatable or do you have to turn it off every time you get inside?

10. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2017 R
      04-13-2017 03:58 PM #35
      This makes me extremely happy that I bought my R before this refresh. The wheels are hideous IMO, I hate that stop/start crap and while I know some like the virtual cockpit, my friend has it in an A4 and now that the novelty has worn off, he wants his analog back.

Vehicles
      2016 Golf R Tornado Red DSG/DCC/NAV
      04-13-2017 05:02 PM #36
      I'm REALLY hoping it's a taller highway cruising gear for better HWY MPG.

Any guesses as to whether this is just the DQ500 used elsewhere? I'm in to see what the new gear ratios are.

Also curious if this is a "drop-in" replacement for our current transaxle, with a minor VCDS change to set DQ500 over DQ250. Would be a cheaper maneuver over a whole new R (especially since we don't get ROW fueling or the power bump), especially if you somehow destroy your current trans!
      Mine: 2016 VW Golf R DSG w/ DCC/NAV in Tornado Red - tint (35/20%), 18x8 RSe10 Hyper Black wheels w/ 235/40-18 PSS tire, DIY spare, aFe Pro Dry drop-in filter, Forge intake pipe, CTS Turbo Inlet, and armrest mod.
      Daughter: 2015 VW Beetle Convertible 1.8T in Platinum Grey Metallic - tint

12. Member
      04-13-2017 08:53 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by SJ_GTI View Post

Is the stop/start permanently defeatable or do you have to turn it off every time you get inside?
      Not 100% certain. I only took it for one test drive, so I don't know if it remembers the last setting, out has a menu option, or what.

13. Member
      Vehicles
      Rebel: 2016 Golf R DSG/DCC|NAV/DAP Black
      04-13-2017 10:08 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by htmlspinnr View Post
      I'm REALLY hoping it's a taller highway cruising gear for better HWY MPG.

Any guesses as to whether this is just the DQ500 used elsewhere? I'm in to see what the new gear ratios are.

Also curious if this is a "drop-in" replacement for our current transaxle, with a minor VCDS change to set DQ500 over DQ250. Would be a cheaper maneuver over a whole new R (especially since we don't get ROW fueling or the power bump), especially if you somehow destroy your current trans!
      I'm curious about this as well. Would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade, albeit costly. I don't think it will be the 500 though, I read somewhere it will be the DQ3xx something.

14. 04-13-2017 11:09 PM #39
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk7Rules View Post
      I'm curious about this as well. Would certainly be a worthwhile upgrade, albeit costly. I don't think it will be the 500 though, I read somewhere it will be the DQ3xx something.
      DQ381

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 BMW 135i
      04-13-2017 11:51 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk7Rules View Post
      You can see in the Audi uk website at the ratios and plugging them into the formulas that the 7th gear is a true highway gear. The 7th gear turns around 1800 RPM at 60mph which is a nice change.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      Rebel: 2016 Golf R DSG/DCC|NAV/DAP Black
      04-14-2017 05:50 AM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by vwwtchr View Post
      You can see in the Audi uk website at the ratios and plugging them into the formulas that the 7th gear is a true highway gear. The 7th gear turns around 1800 RPM at 60mph which is a nice change.
      if this is true, I'm going to have a hard time staying away from this new tranny. Thanks for the info. Looks like I'll have to start saving some benjamins

17. 04-14-2017 03:59 PM #42
      I'm interested to see what upgrades they have done to the manual transmission. Like other people before, I'm hoping and assuming it's a clutch upgrade. If it is, Id grab that clutch in a heartbeat and get tuning. The only reason I haven't done any tuning by getting a jb4 is the weak clutch.

Can anyone get any info on that?

Sent from my LG-H915 using Tapatalk

18. 04-15-2017 08:19 PM #43
      Quote Originally Posted by pappi16 View Post
      I'm interested to see what upgrades they have done to the manual transmission. Like other people before, I'm hoping and assuming it's a clutch upgrade. If it is, Id grab that clutch in a heartbeat and get tuning. The only reason I haven't done any tuning by getting a jb4 is the weak clutch.

Can anyone get any info on that?

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/...-golf-r-review

I don't know about the clutch, but the bog from launch is definitely still there. Very disappointing for those of us who enjoy the manual.

19. 04-15-2017 08:26 PM #44
      There's a new review out of the GTI PP vs R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfxc5Tmj1w

This new R seems like a really solid choice.

4.2s 0-60
      3.5s 50-70

The sounds from the akrapovich exhaust is awesome, but I don't know if it's 3k+ awesome. As someone who used to have a 6mt 2016 R, I'm really tempted to pick up the new 2018 with a DSG.

20. 04-15-2017 08:28 PM #45
      Quote Originally Posted by buumer View Post
      https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-video/...-golf-r-review

I don't know about the clutch, but the bog from launch is definitely still there. Very disappointing for those of us who enjoy the manual.
      I literally watched that 5 min ago and that stood out to me as well.

Is the bog there to protect the weak clutch?

21. 04-15-2017 10:58 PM #46
      The big question remaining is price. If the R comes in at a similar price point then these are nice updates. If it's bumped to being a $45k car... then...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

22. 04-15-2017 11:54 PM #47
      Hey guys check this review from 3:58... it's seems that the Golf R they had at NYIAS has the 9.2ich discover pro and all the euro stuff minus the power upgrade, can anyone confirm?

https://youtu.be/4twbI3PLxQQ

Or is that the 8 inch screen. I didn't notice any knobs so is it safe to say we can expect the multimedia upgrade package?

Thanks!
      Last edited by thadoggfatha; 04-15-2017 at 11:57 PM.

23. 04-15-2017 11:55 PM #48
      Quote Originally Posted by buumer View Post
      There's a new review out of the GTI PP vs R.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRfxc5Tmj1w

This new R seems like a really solid choice.

4.2s 0-60
      3.5s 50-70

The sounds from the akrapovich exhaust is awesome, but I don't know if it's 3k+ awesome. As someone who used to have a 6mt 2016 R, I'm really tempted to pick up the new 2018 with a DSG.
      Yeah, too bad we don't get the upgraded engine and exhaust in the US.

24. 04-16-2017 12:24 AM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by thadoggfatha View Post
      Hey guys check this review from 3:58... it's seems that the Golf R they had at NYIAS has the 9.2ich discover pro and all the euro stuff minus the power upgrade, can anyone confirm?

https://youtu.be/4twbI3PLxQQ

Or is that the 8 inch screen. I didn't notice any knobs so is it safe to say we can expect the multimedia upgrade package?

Thanks!
      The R at NYIAS is a euro spec. I was there today.

25. 04-16-2017 01:01 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by dcsh View Post
      The R at NYIAS is a euro spec. I was there today.
      Thanks for the clarification!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast