KilometerMagazine.com - Finally at a point of buying Level 2 home charger. Any suggestions?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016/VW/eGolf
      04-11-2017 12:38 AM #1
      Hello fellow eGolfers!

I was hoping to get some advice on home level 2 chargers. I know that there are a ton of them out and was wondering which ones are currently being used and what are the pros and cons.

I am currently looking at the ChargePoint (https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-E...dp/B0124KHJZ2/). The main reason why I'm looking at this charging station is because ChargePoint is all over the place (so support should be good) and I can monitor/control it via my phone / web UI.
      While mobile control is not a must-have, it's definitely a very appealing feature.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!
      2016 VW eGolf SEL (NorCal)

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      04-11-2017 12:41 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by dimaj View Post
      Hello fellow eGolfers!

I was hoping to get some advice on home level 2 chargers. I know that there are a ton of them out and was wondering which ones are currently being used and what are the pros and cons.

I am currently looking at the ChargePoint (https://www.amazon.com/ChargePoint-E...dp/B0124KHJZ2/). The main reason why I'm looking at this charging station is because ChargePoint is all over the place (so support should be good) and I can monitor/control it via my phone / web UI.
      While mobile control is not a must-have, it's definitely a very appealing feature.

Thanks in advance for your help and input!
      do you get any perks on the chargepoint network when you buy their EVSE, if so that would be sweet?

I purchased this one for $500

https://www.amazon.com/Siemens-VC30G...sicharge&psc=1

its been a solid unit, no issues in the 1 1/2 year of using it, it does make a loud pop noise when activated, not sure if that specific to this brand or all EVSE equipment. It does have a few quirks that I was able to figured out by trial and error. The big selling points for me at the time was the three year warranty (+ Citi cards tacks on 2 additional years for 5 total) and it uses a NEMA 6-50 so it only cost me $150ish for the plug to get installed and I can remove the unit without calling in an electrician, should I ever have to send it in for a replacement.

Mine doesn't have any Wifi capability but there are newer models that now have a Wifi chip.

3. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016/VW/eGolf
      04-11-2017 01:41 PM #3
      Thanks for your reply, DasCC!

I don't think there are any perks with having a CP charger at home, though I wish there were. In any case, I am going to call them up and ask them. Will get back to you with what they said.

As far as the loud click you hear when your charger starts charging and stops charging, I have the same thing with my level 1 (which came with my car). I think it's just a switch relay that switches on / off

So, outside of the warranty and ease of installation, what made you go for this Versicharge?

Vehicles
      04-11-2017 02:30 PM #4
      Thanks for your reply, DasCC!

I don't think there are any perks with having a CP charger at home, though I wish there were. In any case, I am going to call them up and ask them. Will get back to you with what they said.

As far as the loud click you hear when your charger starts charging and stops charging, I have the same thing with my level 1 (which came with my car). I think it's just a switch relay that switches on / off

So, outside of the warranty and ease of installation, what made you go for this Versicharge?
      In addition to the warranty and plug option (which didn't seem to be that common among the ones I was shopping)Other forum members had good comments on it and its price point. there are decent bit more options now these days than when I was shopping around. My only wish was that I had a 25ft cord vs 20ft. Mine is installed in the back of the garage so when you park nose in its pushing the limits of the 20ft one to reach the charging port on the rear of the car.

5. 04-13-2017 11:26 AM #5
      I have been using a Bosch EL-51253 for two+ years and it has been flawless (and has worked on my Volt, an i3 I borrowed, and my e-Golf). My only recommendation is to buy the longest cord you can. I went for the 18' cord and I wish I had sprung for 25'.

If I were to do it again, I may look at the Clipper Creek chargers because they are physically smaller.

Vehicles
      '15 e-Golf LE, '13 Touareg VR6, '12 Golf R, '14 smart cabrio
      04-21-2017 08:11 AM #6
      It's been in service close to 5 1/2 years; first with my '12 LEAF and now with my '15 e-Golf LE so its a first-gen unit -- its worth mentioning as Schneider sent me an updated circuit board to handle the 7.2 kW charge rate at no cost to me (the LEAF charged at 3.3 kW) so they do indeed have great (even well after the warranty has long since passed) service. Apparently when EV makers increased how much their cars can charge Schneider updated their boards as well --- the latest unit they sell is this one:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Schneider...30WS/203670265

I also plan to use it with the Tesla Model 3; most of these EVSE's should last close to 10 years as long as the cable/nozzle holds up -- I've also received email from Chargepoint on their home unit; I'm happy with what I've got -- you may also be able to find used ones but buyer beware without a warranty vs lower cost.

7. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016/VW/eGolf
      04-21-2017 11:34 AM #7
      Hey guys,

I wanted to give a little update...

I called up ChargePoint and, outside of the $400 rebate, no additional advantages.

I ended up going with Chargepoint anyway. Mainly because I wanted to have WiFi capability for remote charging and consumption tracking. From what I've seen, there were 3 major players in this category (L2 + wifi):
      • Siemens
      • ChargePoint
      • JuiceBox

Unfortunately, Siemens device received the lowest reviews from other users. Well, the one with wireless module. The non-wireless is one of the best units from what I've seen. People were mainly complaining that wireless module is not mature enough on the unit and additional features are not worth additional $200-$300.
      It was a close call between the Juicebox and the Chargepoint. I decided to go with Chargepoint because I was able to find some used units on Amazon (sold by Amazon) and was able to save ~$100. I figured that there isn't much in these chargers that could break and therefore a used unit should suffice. Furthermore, to save a little more, I've decided to get the direct wired unit and I'll make the power plug myself.

Once I install it and validate that it works, I'll update you guys once again.

Thanks again for the help!

Vehicles
      2016 MkVII e-Golf, 2017 MkVII Golf Alltrack, 2000 B5 4M Passat Wagon
      04-22-2017 08:12 AM #8
      I got a ClipperCreek and am very satisfied with it. For my needs, the LCS 20-P 16 Amp 25 ft cable, NEMA 14-30 plug was more than sufficient - but they have other models. The one I bought was just under $400 before shipping and tax. In the end, I got 30% back on federal taxes for the total of the charging station and installation.

While this station does not need it, I had my garage wired with an additional 70 Amp circuit to be future-proof.
      After incessant complaints from a to z, I am now calling all of my characters "special."

9. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016/VW/eGolf
      05-03-2017 03:56 AM #9
      Hey guys,

Reporting back with my findings.

I have purchased a used hardwired ChargePoint Home station. I've also purchased a 25' cable. I have ran a new circuit from my breaker box and have added a new Nema 6-50R outlet. The hardwired station could also be wired with a plug and that is exactly what I have done.

This charger is working beautifully and I am charging on average at 7.2 kWh. As of right now I absolutely love this charger and will highly recommend it to anyone who is currently looking for a new charger.

Thanks for your help guys.

Vehicles
      2016 VW e-Golf SE DCFC
      05-16-2017 12:14 AM #10
      Hey guys,

Reporting back with my findings.

I have purchased a used hardwired ChargePoint Home station. I've also purchased a 25' cable. I have ran a new circuit from my breaker box and have added a new Nema 6-50R outlet. The hardwired station could also be wired with a plug and that is exactly what I have done.

This charger is working beautifully and I am charging on average at 7.2 kWh. As of right now I absolutely love this charger and will highly recommend it to anyone who is currently looking for a new charger.

Thanks for your help guys.
      Sorry for not chiming in sooner. I have a ChargePoint and I love it. Good choice.

Also, if you're interested, ChargePoint is eligible for the PG&E Submetering Pilot Program. I'm on the program and it's great. My ChargePoint shows up as a separate meter on my PG&E bill and I get billed at like $0.10/kWh for my charger. Our home remains on the Tiered program as we don't use much electricity at home.

https://www.pge.com/en_US/residentia...t-program.page

11. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016/VW/eGolf
      05-16-2017 11:04 AM #11
      Thanks for the info, toasters!

I did see that there's a "partnership" between ChargePoint and PG&E and ChargePoint was doing rebates of either $200 or $400... I chose not to go that route as it'll cost me a rather large chunk of change to install a second meter. I think I had a quote of about $2500 to install a secondary meter (plus $100 convenience fee to PG&E).

Also, as far as cost goes, I currently have SolarCity on my roof and I'm paying $0.16/kWh produced. It's no $0.10, but it's the price of my entire house (both charging and day to day usage). I am still trying to get some numbers together to see if it makes sense to switch over to Time Of Use plan.

On a side note, PG&E is giving out $500 clean energy rebates to owners of electric vehicles (https://www.pge.com/en_US/residentia...-vehicles.page)

Vehicles
      2016 VW e-Golf SE DCFC
      05-26-2017 02:22 PM #12
      Thanks for the info, toasters!

I did see that there's a "partnership" between ChargePoint and PG&E and ChargePoint was doing rebates of either $200 or $400... I chose not to go that route as it'll cost me a rather large chunk of change to install a second meter. I think I had a quote of about $2500 to install a secondary meter (plus $100 convenience fee to PG&E).

Also, as far as cost goes, I currently have SolarCity on my roof and I'm paying $0.16/kWh produced. It's no $0.10, but it's the price of my entire house (both charging and day to day usage). I am still trying to get some numbers together to see if it makes sense to switch over to Time Of Use plan.

On a side note, PG&E is giving out $500 clean energy rebates to owners of electric vehicles (https://www.pge.com/en_US/residentia...-vehicles.page)
      That's the beauty of this Pilot Program. Your ChargePoint *IS* the second meter. It sends electricity usage to PGE through WiFi and bills your account accordingly. I didn't have space on the side of my house for a second meter, so when I heard about this pilot program and I saw that ChargePoint was participating, it was an easy sell.

I did get that $500 rebate from PGE that you mentioned too. That was an easy $500! Check came just about two weeks after applying for the rebate.

Vehicles
      05-26-2017 02:35 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by toasters View Post
      That's the beauty of this Pilot Program. Your ChargePoint *IS* the second meter. It sends electricity usage to PGE through WiFi and bills your account accordingly. I didn't have space on the side of my house for a second meter, so when I heard about this pilot program and I saw that ChargePoint was participating, it was an easy sell.

I did get that $500 rebate from PGE that you mentioned too. That was an easy $500! Check came just about two weeks after applying for the rebate.
      o wow that's cool. I was debating installing a 2nd meter but didn't want the added cost. Might have to check that out if the Siemens ever dies on me.

14. n00b
      Vehicles
      2016 E-Golf SE
      06-14-2017 01:20 AM #14
      I just bought a 2016 E-Golf SE with the quick charge package. Since you're in the Bay Area, some local utilities offer a free L2 charger, such as Sonoma Clean Power.

15. 06-21-2017 09:56 AM #15
      Anybody could post a picture of their EV charger installation at home...?

You guys installed it in the garage I guess...? Which side compared to the car's charge port...? Makes any difference...?

If no garage, have you guys installed it on the house front walls...? on the side...?

Please show me your setup...!

Cheers

Vehicles
      06-21-2017 11:48 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by plpaiement View Post
      Anybody could post a picture of their EV charger installation at home...?

You guys installed it in the garage I guess...? Which side compared to the car's charge port...? Makes any difference...?

If no garage, have you guys installed it on the house front walls...? on the side...?

Please show me your setup...!

Cheers

don't have any pics but I installed on the back wall of the garage, gives me flexibility to park on either side of garage if need be. If you're installing on the side of the garage I'd recommend installing based off of how you park. If you park nose in, right garage wall or if you back in to park, left side of the wall.

17. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016/VW/eGolf
      06-21-2017 12:47 PM #17
      I'll try to post some pictures when I'll get home today...

I ended up installing it on the side wall about 1/2 through the garage length. I also have a 25' cable for my charger and that gives me flexibility to park inside the garage and outside, while still being able to charge. When I park in the garage, I usually back in and my chargeport is right next to the charger, so I never really use the entire length of the cord.

For advertising information click HERE