KilometerMagazine.com - VR6 GTI 2.5 or 3 inch exhaust?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      1964 Chevelle SS,1998 GTI VR6,2003 Silverado SS,2008 M3,2008 GTI APR Stage 2+, 2011 Forester XT
      04-12-2017 08:24 PM #1
      I picked me up a 1998 GTI VR6 couple months ago finally getting it close to roadworthiness. New oil pan gasket oil coolant gasket, newer struts and springs. New break pads. GIAC chip installed. Picked up some 16 inch wheels I still need new tires. I want to do the exhaust I'm looking at getting a 2.5 inch or 3-inch custom exhaust figured I'd ask you guys because as of right now I don't have any plans to Turbo it BUT you never know the future so much space back there. Oh yeah the cats already removed.
      Last edited by Ruderegime; 04-12-2017 at 08:34 PM.
      Sit & Spin!

2. 04-12-2017 08:43 PM #2
      you'll get so many different opinions on this.....2.5" with resonator and nice flowing muffler/tips is my pick

Vehicles
      97 GLX, AAA, '99 Jetta TDI 1.9 1Z
      04-12-2017 08:45 PM #3
      2.5 Magnaflow is by far the best sound on a VR6. There are tons of sound clips on the web and they all sound nice till you hear that sound for real.... I love the way my VR6 sounds.
      Quote Originally Posted by oscar563 View Post
      VW's are like hot models...high maintenance but I just don't care
      Quote Originally Posted by jearp View Post
      zach is troll master

Vehicles
      1964 Chevelle SS,1998 GTI VR6,2003 Silverado SS,2008 M3,2008 GTI APR Stage 2+, 2011 Forester XT
      04-12-2017 08:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by uroslut View Post
      you'll get so many different opinions on this.....2.5" with resonator and nice flowing muffler/tips is my pick
      Thanks for your opinion I'm leaning towards that way but I don't have experience with the VR6 especially turboing it
      Sit & Spin!

Vehicles
      04-12-2017 09:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by RoseBud68 View Post
      2.5 Magnaflow is by far the best sound on a VR6. There are tons of sound clips on the web and they all sound nice till you hear that sound for real.... I love the way my VR6 sounds.
      I bet you're VR6 sounds amazing you should hear my M3 it sounds amazing with an catless X Pipe & Gianni exhaust I don't even turn on the radio the only time I turn on the radio is when my girlfriends in the car cuz she hates how loud it is. I think it sounds so sex
      Last edited by Ruderegime; 04-12-2017 at 09:04 PM.
      Sit & Spin!

Vehicles
      95 URS6, 96 2.9 project Jetta, '04 A4 Avant
      04-19-2017 12:01 PM #6
      I have a Vibrant muffler, no resonators, and 2.75" piping.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      98-VR6 96-tdi 05-Impreza 04-Tundra
      04-19-2017 01:21 PM #7
      3" is too big unless you have turbo.
      you want the exhaust air to be hot when it exits. cold air is denser than hot air and harder for the engine to push out.
      the extra .5" is enough to cool it enough to lose power.
      a large exhaust pipe will actually cause SLOWER exhaust flow, and decreased performance.

if you plan on doing turbo, do that first or deal with the lost power until then.

I had a 2.5 magnaflow on a 2.0 I bought already installed years ago and I hated the way it performed. the exhaust was too much on that little engine.

As well as many here, I've have a 2.5 magnaflow cat back with hi-flow cat on my otherwise stock VR6 engine for many years now with a UM chip.
      Quote Originally Posted by germancarnut51 View Post
      if you are within driving distance of the border, maybe it would be worth it to come across and vist a Harbor Freight store on the U.S. side of the border.
      Quote Originally Posted by Svën Höek View Post
      oh man, i almost choked.... did he really suggest international travel to Harbor freight???!!!!

8. 04-19-2017 02:51 PM #8
      3" is too big unless you have turbo.
      you want the exhaust air to be hot when it exits. cold air is denser than hot air and harder for the engine to push out.
      the extra .5" is enough to cool it enough to lose power.
      a large exhaust pipe will actually cause SLOWER exhaust flow, and decreased performance.

if you plan on doing turbo, do that first or deal with the lost power until then.

I had a 2.5 magnaflow on a 2.0 I bought already installed years ago and I hated the way it performed. the exhaust was too much on that little engine.

As well as many here, I've have a 2.5 magnaflow cat back with hi-flow cat on my otherwise stock VR6 engine for many years now with a UM chip.
      this is incorrect. more power is the be made with a proper mandrel bent 3" over the 2.5"... i ran a MBS 3" on my gti and it made the same whp as the 2.5 up until about 4500rpm, then the 3inch made more power. rootbeer if i recall did dyno testing and kept his sheets. i didnt keep my sheets.

3" is fine NA

Vehicles
      04-19-2017 05:05 PM #9
      Okay so anywhere between 2.5 and 3 inch and how does a borla sound?
      Sit & Spin!

10. Member
      Vehicles
      04-19-2017 05:16 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Mk3jedi2 View Post
      this is incorrect.
      that would be your opinion. I'd bet your low end torque was garbage.
      thats a nice house your parents have btw.
      how is fictional Pettr these days?

i ran a MBS 3" on my gti and it made the same whp as the 2.5 up until about 4500rpm, then the 3inch made more power.
      it's debatable for sure (and searchable) but a fact remains (for exact comparison examples) Not enough backpressure = loss of low end torque, which from 0-?? would be more annoying than the gain you might get at top speeds.

unless the engine is turbo'd or supercharged, with a 3" over 2.5" the low end torque will suck on a stock engine.
      Last edited by Svën Höek; 04-19-2017 at 09:07 PM.
      if you are within driving distance of the border, maybe it would be worth it to come across and vist a Harbor Freight store on the U.S. side of the border.
      oh man, i almost choked.... did he really suggest international travel to Harbor freight???!!!!

Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix GXP; 98 Jetta GLX
      04-19-2017 05:38 PM #11
      I have a 2.5 borla no res no cat and its amazing. I want to do a 3" now because I'm cammed and whatnot but i love my sound to much

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      1997 GTI R32
      04-20-2017 02:12 PM #12
      this is incorrect. more power is the be made with a proper mandrel bent 3" over the 2.5"... i ran a MBS 3" on my gti and it made the same whp as the 2.5 up until about 4500rpm, then the 3inch made more power. rootbeer if i recall did dyno testing and kept his sheets. i didnt keep my sheets.

3" is fine NA
      Here is the thread Root Beer had going: http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...able+vr6+power

Link to 2.5" vs 3". the 3" made more power from about 4500rpm all the way up. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...t-back-to-back
      Last edited by stevevr6; 04-20-2017 at 02:37 PM.

13. 04-20-2017 02:56 PM #13
      My rule of thumb is 2.5" on stock motor, 3" on turbo or even head work + cams.

Classic VR6 sound usually comes from 2.5". My 3" setup makes the car sound a little ......different.
      _/_/_/__/___/____/_____/______/_______/________/_________/__________/

Dub Cult | Simply Clean | MK3 Squad

14. 04-20-2017 03:19 PM #14
      that would be your opinion. I'd bet your low end torque was garbage.
      thats a nice house your parents have btw.
      how is fictional Pettr these days?

it's debatable for sure (and searchable) but a fact remains (for exact comparison examples) Not enough backpressure = loss of low end torque, which from 0-?? would be more annoying than the gain you might get at top speeds.

unless the engine is turbo'd or supercharged, with a 3" over 2.5" the low end torque will suck on a stock engine.

Its not an opinion
      Pettr is sexy AF still

I suppose if youre leaving the exhaust manifold stock as well then 2.5 would be not noticeable to the tire on a street car. however, with a properly designed mandrel bent 3 inch would be wiser if youre planning on doing cams, port work, etc later on down the line. 3" makes more power throughout the whole rev range. Torque doesnt win races, horsepower wins. less torque and more horsepower would make for a faster VR6. its a 6 Cylinder FWD, all this talk about torque from everyone with this car (not you specifically) is ridiculous. My next VR6 i will be trying to reduce the torque while increasing horsepower.

bottom line, if youre spending the money on exhaust youre better off purchasing a 3'' as it gives you much more room to expand. Back pressure is not something you want in exhaust. youre referring to exhaust velocity not back pressure, you want an exhaust that has the least back pressure possible. Im sure there is more out there than MBS exhaust, but theirs fit like a glove and sounds very good.

TL;DR - if youre looking for the most power go for 3"

Vehicles
      1997 GTI R32
      04-20-2017 04:23 PM #15
      Its not an opinion
      Pettr is sexy AF still

I suppose if youre leaving the exhaust manifold stock as well then 2.5 would be not noticeable to the tire on a street car. however, with a properly designed mandrel bent 3 inch would be wiser if youre planning on doing cams, port work, etc later on down the line. 3" makes more power throughout the whole rev range. Torque doesnt win races, horsepower wins. less torque and more horsepower would make for a faster VR6. its a 6 Cylinder FWD, all this talk about torque from everyone with this car (not you specifically) is ridiculous. My next VR6 i will be trying to reduce the torque while increasing horsepower.

bottom line, if youre spending the money on exhaust youre better off purchasing a 3'' as it gives you much more room to expand. Back pressure is not something you want in exhaust. youre referring to exhaust velocity not back pressure, you want an exhaust that has the least back pressure possible. Im sure there is more out there than MBS exhaust, but theirs fit like a glove and sounds very good.

TL;DR - if youre looking for the most power go for 3"
      I just installed a 3" 42 draft designs exhaust. I did stainless steel with V-bands. Great quality and recommend to anyone looking for an exhaust. You can build the exhaust system to your taste and specs.

Vehicles
      04-20-2017 05:01 PM #16
      Awesome info thanks for all the great replys!!! I'll probably end up just getting a 2.5 or 2.75 inch exhaust custom with either MagnaFlow or Borla...... as of right now I don't have any plans for forced induction or any other engine work I bought this car to drive to work. I have too many other toys in the horse stable. I think I could be happy with the VR6's performance with a chip and a exhaust?

Edit: I am loving the car so you never know what I'll do to it in the future like I said as of right now I have no plans
      Last edited by Ruderegime; 04-20-2017 at 05:10 PM.
      Sit & Spin!

17. Member
      Vehicles
      04-20-2017 05:43 PM #17
      Any info I provided was in reference to a stock motor.
      often times when someone comes here and asks a question like this thread's topic and says maybe-so/maybe-not about future engine work/turbo etc. they don't end up doing it.

2.5 is the perfect setup for a stock motor.
      some people aren't about racing.

Vehicles
      04-20-2017 08:13 PM #18
      I'm definitely leaning towards a 2.5 inch my only other exhaust concerns are do i go with that MagnaFlow or do I go with a borla? Do I go with a resonator or no resonator?
      Sit & Spin!

Vehicles
      1997 GTI R32
      04-21-2017 12:11 PM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Ruderegime View Post
      I'm definitely leaning towards a 2.5 inch my only other exhaust concerns are do i go with that MagnaFlow or do I go with a borla? Do I go with a resonator or no resonator?
      Honestly, don't get a custom one made. Head over to 42 Draft designs website and build on the way you want it. It will be cheaper the getting one made onsite by someone. It's a straight bolt on kit and it's a Magnaflow as well.

Vehicles
      2006 Grand Prix GXP; 98 Jetta GLX
      04-21-2017 12:49 PM #20
      Where are you located? Ill sell you my borla if you want videos send me a pm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE