Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
      Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      04-17-2017 07:55 AM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Deforce View Post
      And nothing says "Who the **** is this guy?" when I pull up to meetings like a big ass wing on an otherwise normal-looking sedan. It is a catch-22. If I wanted mad gainz yo aero, I will stick to a sports coupe where the wing isn't as out-of-place. The only way I would option the wing is if I was regularly at the track, which is admittedly this car's raison d'etre. For those of us that don't do that and need to maintain a certain image (Schnell, for example, is a lawyer and needs to looks proper at times I would imagine), the wing is a no-go.

If you buy one, I can't stop you for getting the wing. But don't knock others that don't want it.
      Does anyone really care whether a lawyer (or anyone) is driving an Impreza or an Impreza with a wing though? I feel anyone who would notice would be the ones to also notice the hood scoop and Brembos and know what an STI is, with or without wing. And those people would also respect it.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      04-17-2017 09:08 AM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      Does anyone really care whether a lawyer (or anyone) is driving an Impreza or an Impreza with a wing though? I feel anyone who would notice would be the ones to also notice the hood scoop and Brembos and know what an STI is, with or without wing. And those people would also respect it.
      I work at a law firm and no one cares about the spoiler on my car.

04-17-2017 10:11 AM #53
      And nothing says "Who the **** is this guy?" when I pull up to meetings like a big ass wing on an otherwise normal-looking sedan. It is a catch-22. If I wanted mad gainz yo aero, I will stick to a sports coupe where the wing isn't as out-of-place. The only way I would option the wing is if I was regularly at the track, which is admittedly this car's raison d'etre. For those of us that don't do that and need to maintain a certain image (Schnell, for example, is a lawyer and needs to looks proper at times I would imagine), the wing is a no-go.

If you buy one, I can't stop you for getting the wing. But don't knock others that don't want it.
      I'm not going to lie, I'd immediately remove it as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

4. 04-17-2017 10:16 AM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by SchnellFowVay View Post
      This is on my test drive list
      Something to think about:

Everyone wants a Scat Pack. With the new Daytona 392 Package, it's possible to get 99% of the SRT 392 for $5,000-ish less.

Which means there's a poopload of 2016 SRT392s out there with discounts and lease deals on them.

Here's one I have been flirting with, since I am literally in the same boat you are....carless and thinking about possibilities.

http://www.dupagechryslerdodgejeepra...d8769d343b.htm

If you know what you are doing, it's possible to lease one of these things for about $75 a month more than a loaded GTI Autobahn.

I am about as "Save the Manuals" as it gets, but once i drove one, I started thinking "Eh, I could get used to this paddle shifter business". It's VERY good, and mates very well with the 6.4.

There's effectively nothing quite like the Charger on the market, and I STRONGLY recommend trying one.

Plus, you have a very good Dodge dealer with a well liked Car Lounger just up the interstate from you in American Fork, UT. [Paging TurboMinivan, TurboMinivan to the Car Lounge please....]
      Last edited by Maximum_Download; 04-17-2017 at 10:23 AM.
      Matt
      2016 Honda Accord Sport CVT w/ HondaSensing, Crystal Black Pearl/Black

Vehicles
      '16 Durango
      04-17-2017 10:26 AM #55
      ^ This.

If the SRT Charger wasn't $50+ it would have been much harder for my wife to convince me the Durango was a better choice for our family situation at the time. Folks love the Scatpack, but I think the Bilstein suspension in the SRT plus the additional drive mode customization makes it what it is.
      Family Garage:
      2016 Dodge Durango Citadel AWD - mine
      2014 Dodge Durango Limited AWD - wife's
      2004 Acura TSX - for the kids to learn on and drive
      1967 Chevrolet Corvette <-- Father in Law's classic. We're just the caretaker/owners

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      04-17-2017 10:46 AM #56

Taking the wing off makes the car perform worse. It's in the same league as cutting springs...yeah it "looks cleaner" but if looks are what's important to you, then buying a car like an STI (or EVO or Focus RS) is the wrong move to begin with.

I work in an office too, and almost no one knows what each other drives unless you tell them.

In fairness to your point, I don't want the boy-racer look either...so I bought a Golf R. But I would never handicap a car by removing functional aero just for looks. That's DIW.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      Silver Volvos
      04-17-2017 11:02 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Ross1013 View Post
      Taking the wing off makes the car perform worse. It's in the same league as cutting springs...yeah it "looks cleaner" but if looks are what's important to you, then buying a car like an STI (or EVO or Focus RS) is the wrong move to begin with.
      This is a bit of a stretch.

Cut springs make a car dangerous to drive on regular roads, at regular speeds. Swapping out a huge aero spoiler for a factory lip spoiler might dull the car's behavior *slightly* at hyper-legal speeds (or on a track), but it's hardly the same thing.

If the wing was critical for vehicle dynamics, wouldn't the WRX come with it too? It's not like the STI is that much faster.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

Vehicles
      17 Golf R, 15 VW Tiguan, 93 LX Foxbody, 70 C10 5.3L LS
      04-17-2017 11:10 AM #58
      [Obligatory Golf R plug]
      came to post this as it checks every single box.

Quote Originally Posted by Perceptive Bunny View Post
      Get yourself a one-way ticket to Ohio and drive yourself back in an insanely fast mustang.
      save money on the ticket, and i can drive it out for you.

Vehicles
      '17 Golf R DSG, '12 Crosstour V6 AWD nav, '09 Civic Si 4d nav
      04-17-2017 11:14 AM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by Slipstream View Post
      This is a bit of a stretch.

Cut springs make a car dangerous to drive on regular roads, at regular speeds. Swapping out a huge aero spoiler for a factory lip spoiler might dull the car's behavior *slightly* at hyper-legal speeds (or on a track), but it's hardly the same thing.

If the wing was critical for vehicle dynamics, wouldn't the WRX come with it too? It's not like the STI is that much faster.
      Hostile Iain says the wing is functional at just 80mph. A 300hp STI is going to see a lot of 80+ mph. Take the wing off, rear end starts lifting at those speeds. Car is less stable during turns (long sweepers are easily 80mph in a car that fast) and especially under heavy or panic braking. That may sound OK to some of you but not me.
      Past: '06 Accord V6, '95 Taurus SHO, '01 ITR, '98 Civic HX CVT

Quote Originally Posted by jamerican1
      Dude, you know you're like the opposite of a purist, right?

Vehicles
      Silver Volvos
      04-17-2017 11:35 AM #60
      Hostile Iain says the wing is functional at just 80mph. A 300hp STI is going to see a lot of 80+ mph. Take the wing off, rear end starts lifting at those speeds. Car is less stable during turns (long sweepers are easily 80mph in a car that fast) and especially under heavy or panic braking. That may sound OK to some of you but not me.
      The WRX is just as capable of high-speed runs and maneuvers and is only a few hp down on the STI (268 vs. 300), yet it comes with no spoiler as standard. If the wing is essential wouldn't all performance Imprezas come equipped with it?

I get your point, but swapping to a subtle wing has far less impact on performance than something like an airbag suspension or stretched tires. It's a reasonable trade-off IMO.
      08 c30 | 10 xc70 | seventwosix

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      04-17-2017 11:35 AM #61
      Evidently it depends. If I was paying a high-priced lawyer to do some work and he showed up at my house with a new STI with wing, I would be like "awesome", but I am a car enthusiast. If I was Joe Shoe 55 years old and needed to get serious business done, I would probably think the dude had to apologize for taking his son's car that day. The lawyer example is just one example.

Wat?

I work in an office too, and almost no one knows what each other drives unless you tell them.

Ok?

In fairness to your point, I don't want the boy-racer look either...so I bought a Golf R. But I would never handicap a car by removing functional aero just for looks. That's DIW.

Lol, pick your battles, Ross. Pick your battles.
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 Chevrolet SS 6M
      04-17-2017 11:44 AM #62
      yeah, everyone, relax.
      UR BUTT SMELLS LIKE POOP! (throws pea across table)

Yeah, I'm placing too much value on image, especially for me. I did just buy something that looks like a rental car, solely for the driving performance; I took my last choice in color, with zero flips given. If a drunk takes out my SS (NOOOOOooo...), there's a chance I could end up in an STi and would learn to live with the wing. I used to roll up to the old city hall in a V8 5 series, while Oscar Goodman drove a relatively humble C Class, so it's not I give a crap about my professional image either...
      Quote Originally Posted by Broduski View Post
      TCL would suggest a Bi-Turbo to a single mother of 4 just for sh*t's and giggles.
      Quote Originally Posted by smoothsix View Post
      Quote Originally Posted by HackAC View Post
      What would America be like today if everyone had to sit through a 2 hour TFL seminar?
      Lots of suicides

Vehicles
      E46 320, MK IV GTI
      04-17-2017 12:09 PM #63
      Does anyone really care whether a lawyer (or anyone) is driving an Impreza or an Impreza with a wing though?
      Are you being serious?

Vehicles
      '17 STI Limited, Ross Edition
      04-17-2017 12:50 PM #64
      Taking the wing off makes the car perform worse..
      SUBARU SELLS THE CAR, FROM THE FACTORY, WITHOUT THE WING. Nobody is taking it off.

And the performance difference, particularly at street legal speeds, is absolutely negligible if not nonexistent.

Vehicles
      04-17-2017 12:52 PM #65
      The. Car. Comes. From. The. Factory. Without. The. Wing.

And the WRX, which puts out nearly the same amount of power (it's only about 10-12whp short on dynos) has the lip spoiler. It also has the same top speed.

The wing does have a function, yes. But let's not act like it's the airbrake on a Bugatti Veyron here.

Vehicles
      04-17-2017 12:55 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by TJSwoboda View Post
      while Oscar Goodman drove a relatively humble C Class, so it's not I give a crap about my professional image either...
      Interesting. Carolyn (his wife and current mayor) drives a loaded current-gem Merc S550. I just saw her and said hi last Friday. She then got in the car, and when she slammed the door, it sounded like it weighed 500 pounds. I almost wonder if she isn't driving the Mercedes S550 security pack car.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      2014 Mustang GT Premium; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      04-17-2017 12:58 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by BetterByDesign View Post
      Are you being serious?
      I don't see why he wouldn't be serious.

The vast, vast, vast majority of the public won't notice, nor care. The vast majority of the public just sees a car, and all cars are the same to them. How often is a lawyer's car visible to a client anyway, really? I don't know any lawyers that make house calls, but that's just me.

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      04-17-2017 01:03 PM #68
      And the performance difference, particularly at street legal speeds, is absolutely negligible if not nonexistent.
      If anything, it hurts performance. Extra drag = lower mpg and lower top speed.

Anyway, get the 392. Come on. Those are awesome.

Vehicles
      17 Golf R, 15 VW Tiguan, 93 LX Foxbody, 70 C10 5.3L LS
      04-17-2017 01:15 PM #69
      SUBARU SELLS THE CAR, FROM THE FACTORY, WITHOUT THE WING. Nobody is taking it off.

The. Car. Comes. From. The. Factory. Without. The. Wing.

And the WRX, which puts out nearly the same amount of power (it's only about 10-12whp short on dynos) has the lip spoiler. It also has the same top speed.

The wing does have a function, yes. But let's not act like it's the airbrake on a Bugatti Veyron here.
      see, this is why you should just buy the Golf R... no spoiler that you would have to worry about removing.

Vehicles
      04-17-2017 01:21 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Samson View Post

Anyway, get the 392. Come on. Those are awesome.
      I agree that they are awesome. However:

(1) I just got finished suing FCA for making crappy cars;

(2) I am not totally sold on some aspects of the Joe Dirt/Boy Racer looks of the car; and

(3) auto-only.

That said, I will test drive one and keep an open mind.

21. 04-17-2017 01:22 PM #71
      I think the real stunner in this thread is how many people cannot figure out how to use the multi-quote feature.

Back OT, I agree that the Golf R checks your boxes. Another option is to absorb someone else's lease that's inexpensive.
      Quote Originally Posted by pops View Post
      I'm naming my next child NightTrain EX.
      Quote Originally Posted by WhistlerYOW View Post
      You're a pretty cool dude.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      1991 Jetta GLI 16v, 2016 Golf GTI S
      04-17-2017 01:23 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbo Benzina! View Post
      Jeep Renegade.
      I think I see what you did there...

Vehicles
      2012 Mustang GT, 2008 Mazda3 GT, 1986 Mazda RX-7 GX
      04-17-2017 01:25 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      I don't see why he wouldn't be serious.

The vast, vast, vast majority of the public won't notice, nor care. The vast majority of the public just sees a car, and all cars are the same to them. How often is a lawyer's car visible to a client anyway, really? I don't know any lawyers that make house calls, but that's just me.
      Interesting claim. So you're telling me if I pull up next to an Accord in my new Lamborghini Aventador with Akrapovic exhaust and neon green paint, people will just ignore it cause it has 4 wheels and is sitting at a light so it's just a car right?

I think a lot of you guys either haven't seen a big wing in a long time or haven't hung out with non-car people in a long time. A big wing sticks out, both literally and figuratively.

And, like I said already, the lawyer example is just a single example. Get past that argument. If you want a better benchmark, think of realtors.
      Last edited by Elite_Deforce; 04-17-2017 at 01:28 PM.
      Panache, bruh.
      Quote Originally Posted by Ernie McCracken View Post
      I don't trust the judgment of anyone who likes black wheels.
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      I find it ironic that long time Euro brand fans would assume long term reliability issues would destroy any love of a unique product.

Vehicles
      04-17-2017 01:29 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      I don't know any lawyers that make house calls, but that's just me.
      I do. On a weekly basis. I manage the personal affairs of wealthy people for a living. I frequently need to drive to their house, ring the bell at their front gate (where they see me driving in my car), and then park in their front driveway. I need something that doesn't scream "LOOK AT ME, I"M A KID WHO LIKES BE RECKLESS AND DRIVE FAST."

Vehicles
      Ghetto35
      04-17-2017 01:35 PM #75
      I agree that they are awesome. However:

(1) I just got finished suing FCA for making crappy cars;

(2) I am not totally sold on some aspects of the Joe Dirt/Boy Racer looks of the car; and

(3) auto-only.

That said, I will test drive one and keep an open mind.
      All fair points. You seem to go through cars quite quickly though, so assuming you get a normal Dodge product, it'll likely be good for 2-3 years (though you've proven to have a certain brand of luck when it comes to cars). And hey, if you do go that route and it turns out to be another POS, at least you'll entertain all of us. It's not like a Golf R or STI have a reputation for trouble-free ownership experiences either, so I'd keep that in mind. It's a tough one though, especially with the manual preference.

A fast, under-the-radar option is a Q50 3.0t Sport (300hp), but it's auto only. ~$40k new though.
      Last edited by Samson; 04-17-2017 at 01:39 PM.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast