KilometerMagazine.com - New 2015 TDI models are selling again, would you buy?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    1. Member
      Vehicles
      '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI SE 6MT
      04-25-2017 11:28 PM #76
      I made the buyback appointment for the end of June, but that's only because they didn't take appointments later than that. I'll push it more towards Fall when possible. I still got some decent offers on a few "new" '15 TDI SE's with 6MT but I said no (cheapest one, with LP, offered to me for $24,300, before tax and fees; I like these engines but for this price I just don't think it makes sense). I'm a bit sad as I still think that for my long hwy commute the TDI is better (much better fuel economy is one thing, but also the TDI is so enjoyable to drive on the hwy). However, with the new 8" screen infotainment system with CarPlay, the nice features of DAP (much better than the basic stuff on the '15's), I decided to wait until the Fall and get the 2018 Alltrack. My main issue with the '15 GSW's is the dated infotainment; they were rolled out with a dated system. Not even a USB port... It was the reason I didn't get one as soon as they rolled out, I was holding out for the '16 GSW TDI (and we all know how that went). The reality is that while the TDI is a great engine, now you can only find it in a dated car. That doesn't matter to some people and until recently I thought I was one of them. But I recently test drove an AT SE DSG DAP and fiddled a bit with its infotainment and the DAP; I don't know, it just felt so upscale.

Also, I don't keep cars for more than 5 years; so even though I average about 20k miles per year, I don't really need a car that lasts forever.

Oops...some potentially bad news for VW: Mazda CX5 Diesel is up on their US website as coming soon. So, this time they're really bringing it! I'm no fan of SUV's, even smaller ones like this one, but if it comes in 6MT and AWD, oooh, that's sweet (depending on the price too!). Even with FWD I'd be OK (as long as it has the 6MT).

2. 04-26-2017 12:08 AM #77
      I agree completely about the infotainment, and DAP. I wasn't thrilled at only 5K off, but for a 2016, I would have paid it no question—maybe even closer to MSRP. If I'm buying a "new" car, I expect it to have the latest gadgets. Same with the Alltrack...it's introduced for one year, only to then get the mild refresh, with LED headlight option, larger infotainment screen, etc... To those who bought a 2015 TDI, great! I'm surprised, yet glad these are selling as well as they are. I prefer them to be driven than crushed / dismantled / sent to other countries.

As for the Mazda, looks like no dice on the manual:
      http://www.carscoops.com/2017/03/maz...ion-in-us.html

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2010 TDI DSG JSW, 2013 Tiguan SE 4Mo, 2000 Audi TT 180Q (sold)
      04-27-2017 02:39 PM #78
      So I thought I would keep my '10 jsw for longer since she is paid off but with 109k miles on the clock and no fix foreseen in the future...I began to search for a manual '15 GSW. I figured if it was a manual I could just upgrade for around 10k but since the frenzy began, the manuals have become unicorns for real (in SEL trim, there are a few S out there). Now I find myself working some sales guys to earn my business. I have been offered an additional 13-1400 off the msrp and the 5k rebate along with 72%. I plan on rolling all my buyback into the new loan as a downpayment so my payment will be about $200. Oh, and they are offering me a better equipped SEL (lighting pkg) for the price of one without it.

Moral of the story, don't let them control the sale, be patient and find the right dealership/salesguy that wants your business. A lot of people with deposits have been backing out, so yeah there phones have been ringing off the hook but money talks and bs walks. They can give you a dealer discount especially now at end of month.

Im still up against the fence on this, do I keep on piling on the miles or do I upgrade? How much will maintenance cost me over the next 5 yrs if I keep my '10? I know I need a new suspension soon if not past due already and what about brakes and timing belt? ....$5K over next 5 yrs is about $70/month so I would essentially be paying ~$120 for a newer "new" car. Does that make any sense?

4. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI S 5MT
      04-27-2017 03:17 PM #79
      I'd do it, but with an S model.

You're used to driving a '10, do you really need an SEL with LP? Isn't an S about $10k cheaper!?!

Either way, I think its worth the update/upgrade to a newer car. You can also wait until later next year, and continue to put on miles without worry as you have a guaranteed buyback. Then you'll be able to get into a 2018 VW, but maybe not a TDI. If you're only driving 15k miles per year, a TDI isn't a solid ROI for you, though, anyways. If you can buy a similar gasser for $2k less, you're in fairly even territory for total cost of ownership... (although if manual is a must, you are limited to TSI S, 4mo S, or AT S, for now)

5. 04-27-2017 03:26 PM #80
      What is VW offering your on the buyout?

6. Member
      Vehicles
      04-27-2017 06:13 PM #81
      Quote Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
      I'd do it, but with an S model.

You're used to driving a '10, do you really need an SEL with LP? Isn't an S about $10k cheaper!?!

)
      yeah it is but the payment only changes from ~136 for an S to ~216 for SEL

Quote Originally Posted by Jelly Donut View Post
      What is VW offering your on the buyout?
      14,925 till i get to 115k

7. Member
      Vehicles
      04-29-2017 12:22 AM #82
      So after rebate (5k) and an extra 1500 off MSRP total OTD comes out to $29,135. The dealer doubles the power train warranty to 10 yr 10000miles for free and they are offering a bumper to bumper extended warranty (10yr/100,000mile) for 1700.oo. And that is with 72month 0%.
      Having second thoughts....what do you guys think?

Vehicles
      17 Golf Alltrack S, 92 Miata SBY, 08 Yukon XL
      04-29-2017 07:55 AM #83
      Quote Originally Posted by gearheadzTV View Post
      So after rebate (5k) and an extra 1500 off MSRP total OTD comes out to $29,135. The dealer doubles the power train warranty to 10 yr 10000miles for free and they are offering a bumper to bumper extended warranty (10yr/100,000mile) for 1700.oo. And that is with 72month 0%.
      Having second thoughts....what do you guys think?
      I am not sure how long you can wait..it's not like they are making any more of them. It is what you want...get it.
      CLICK * POINT * CHUTE

Vehicles
      08 Rabbit 2.5, 14 Escape 2.0 awd
      04-29-2017 09:02 AM #84
      We picked up S model this week. MSRP was 27,055
      $8500 lease discount deal 24 month 15k mile year.

If anyone​ is curious vw is setting​ residual value around 45%

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

10. 05-01-2017 09:12 PM #85
      I purchased an S DSG over the weekend. I went to the dealer to look at a cheap Jetta as a commute car but left with the 2015 TDI Sportwagen. All told it ran me right at $20,500 out the door with the two year lease.(down payment, lease payments and residual) (I added an extended warranty that made it more expensive but removed that from that total) It was about $4K more than a 2017 Jetta S and very close to a Jetta SE. The Golf's felt like so much of a nicer car than the Jetta's I test drove.
      I have a 2004 TDI 5sp Bug and this Sportwagen will run circles around it with ease in performance. I wasn't expecting that. I wasn't even interested until they told me about the $8,500 off. Still wasn't sold till we ran the numbers.

Anyway, I was looking through my paperwork and found an "Additional Disclosures Regarding This Vehicle" note.
      It talks about additional software and hardware updates that will happen through 2019 on the car for emissions related stuff. The part that really got me was the warranty period...

... the greater of:
      11 years or 162,000 miles from in service
      OR
      5 years or 60,000 miles from Phase 2

All of the below includes parts, labor and taxes. (wish I could copy and paste all this...)
      - Entire exhaust system - (then lists stuff)
      - entire fuel system including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators
      - EGR system
      - The On-Board Diagnostic system, including Selective Catalytic Reduction SRC, Diesel Exhaust Fluid DEF quality sensor and any malfunctions detected by the ODB systems other than those related to the transmission

Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that that consists on the assembly block, crankshaft, cylinder head, and valve train.

I don't know if the last part about the block just means the normal 5/60 that comes with the car or it is covered by this new one.

Anyone else get one of these? I want to dig in to more now and see if it really is what I think I am reading...

11. Member
      Vehicles
      05-04-2017 04:31 PM #86
      Quote Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post
      Anyway, I was looking through my paperwork and found an "Additional Disclosures Regarding This Vehicle" note.
      It talks about additional software and hardware updates that will happen through 2019 on the car for emissions related stuff. The part that really got me was the warranty period...

... the greater of:
      11 years or 162,000 miles from in service
      OR
      5 years or 60,000 miles from Phase 2

All of the below includes parts, labor and taxes. (wish I could copy and paste all this...)
      - Entire exhaust system - (then lists stuff)
      - entire fuel system including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators
      - EGR system
      - The On-Board Diagnostic system, including Selective Catalytic Reduction SRC, Diesel Exhaust Fluid DEF quality sensor and any malfunctions detected by the ODB systems other than those related to the transmission

Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that that consists on the assembly block, crankshaft, cylinder head, and valve train.

I don't know if the last part about the block just means the normal 5/60 that comes with the car or it is covered by this new one.

Anyone else get one of these? I want to dig in to more now and see if it really is what I think I am reading...
      Yeah this is what persuaded me. Ended up keeping a few grand from scheduled buyback and 0% on balance with 10yr100k Bumper to Bumper and this 11yr162k power train warranty. Hard to beat.

12. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10TouaregTDI,11GolfTDI,17GSW SEL
      05-05-2017 10:45 AM #87
      good for you and very nice warranty. I really want to jump on the TDI but can't get over the price point and the VW deal I got for my replacement '17 GSW SEL. Although, I am sure if I bit the '15 TDI bullet, I would love it and never look back.

Do you get any kind of renumeration from VW for completing phase 2?

13. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      10TouaregTDI,11GolfTDI,17GSW SEL
      05-05-2017 10:52 AM #88
      Quote Originally Posted by arcaidy View Post
      ...Additionally, the engine long block warranty shall cover the engine sub-assembly that that consists on the assembly block, crankshaft, cylinder head, and valve train.

If it is part of the same paragraph or section, it should be covered by the new warranty. If it is still not clear, I think there was also something included that essentially said, if something is not clear or is vague in regards to the warranty, judgement will be made in the favor of the owner.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-05-2017 10:07 PM #89
      Quote Originally Posted by CsSWG View Post
      good for you and very nice warranty. I really want to jump on the TDI but can't get over the price point and the VW deal I got for my replacement '17 GSW SEL. Although, I am sure if I bit the '15 TDI bullet, I would love it and never look back.

Do you get any kind of renumeration from VW for completing phase 2?
      Thanks. Nothing yet, it only has phase 1 fix. They are going to contact me when it is ready for phase 2. I would hope they offer something of cash value but I believe the extended emissions warranty didn't go into affect until p2 is complete. Either way I have already reached out to Malone tuning.

Quote Originally Posted by CsSWG View Post
      If it is part of the same paragraph or section, it should be covered by the new warranty. If it is still not clear, I think there was also something included that essentially said, if something is not clear or is vague in regards to the warranty, judgement will be made in the favor of the owner.
      Yes! I loved reading that part, iirc it even says to keep a copy of that paper in case of any problems ever to just show it to the dealer. Woohoo, score 1 for the consumer.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      2016 GSW TSI S 5MT
      05-05-2017 11:18 PM #90
      Quote Originally Posted by gearheadzTV View Post
      Thanks. Nothing yet, it only has phase 1 fix. They are going to contact me when it is ready for phase 2. I would hope they offer something of cash value but I believe the extended emissions warranty didn't go into affect until p2 is complete. Either way I have already reached out to Malone tuning.

Yes! I loved reading that part, iirc it even says to keep a copy of that paper in case of any problems ever to just show it to the dealer. Woohoo, score 1 for the consumer.
      A tune would completely void that extended warranty, making tuning a fixed TDI quite a bit bigger of a gamble than a VW with the standard 5/60k warranty...

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-06-2017 12:15 AM #91
      Quote Originally Posted by surfstar View Post
      A tune would completely void that extended warranty, making tuning a fixed TDI quite a bit bigger of a gamble than a VW with the standard 5/60k warranty...
      Yes it could but my SA is mod friendly. He won't flash any of my VWs cus they are both tuned. Fingers crossed on this one, I miss st1.5 already.

17. 05-12-2017 02:39 PM #92
      I bought mine last week, 24900, with a 5k rebate and 0% finance.. Saw the dealer maintenance checklist, and they replaced complete brake system, all 4 tires, oil&filter, fuel filters, and I got them to do a trans fluid and filter change, and a bunch of other stuff required for them to start selling. I tell you what,, this car will get out in traffic pretty good, it's no slouch.. just rolled 700 miles and Im averaging 44hwy miles. I have no complaints at all..

18. Junior Member crescentwrench's Avatar
      Vehicles
      15 Kerosene fired shooting brake
      05-14-2017 08:13 AM #93
      Yes it could but my SA is mod friendly. He won't flash any of my VWs cus they are both tuned. Fingers crossed on this one, I miss st1.5 already.
      Mine isn't. I was interested in a stage 1 for the engine and trans. But the techs flat out told me that it voids the warranty and there's nothing they can do about that since it flags in the ECU. And I drive around, so it can break just about anywhere in CONUS or Canadia, which means even if they were cool about it, the other guys won't be if I'm on the road.
      That's a real bummer since there's some good performance behind the software wall.

But the car moves out well in stock trim and isn't as neutered as I thought it would be after the EPA fix. Oh well.

19. 05-15-2017 02:57 PM #94
      So I was one of those guys that bought a 15 TDI GSW. Just picked it up yesterday actually. I negotiated with my sales person and got it out the door for 23,500 (including taxes, title, registration, etc). It is an S model. On top of the incentive, what really sold me was the 0% for 672 months. Once I got over the fact it was a 3 year old car, I was fine with it. Since the KBB on it was 20K, self insuring for the gap was possible.

In the end, I looked at it like this. Is there another wagon out there (in north america) that can get you mid 40s on the hwy, have a good amount of torque, and is comfortable for the low 20,000 range. I could not think of one.

20. 05-15-2017 07:55 PM #95
      Quote Originally Posted by rage385 View Post
      So I was one of those guys that bought a 15 TDI GSW. Just picked it up yesterday actually. I negotiated with my sales person and got it out the door for 23,500 (including taxes, title, registration, etc). It is an S model. On top of the incentive, what really sold me was the 0% for 672 months. Once I got over the fact it was a 3 year old car, I was fine with it. Since the KBB on it was 20K, self insuring for the gap was possible.

In the end, I looked at it like this. Is there another wagon out there (in north america) that can get you mid 40s on the hwy, have a good amount of torque, and is comfortable for the low 20,000 range. I could not think of one.
      Agree, I test drove so many cars including the Cruze diesel and nothing came close to the GSW, congrats, was that 6MT or DSG?

21. 05-15-2017 08:19 PM #96
      Quote Originally Posted by gswtdi View Post
      Agree, I test drove so many cars including the Cruze diesel and nothing came close to the GSW, congrats, was that 6MT or DSG?
      DSG. I have a b5 S4, so I wanted something that wasn't a manual believe it or not .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

22. 05-15-2017 10:09 PM #97
      Quote Originally Posted by rage385 View Post
      DSG. I have a b5 S4, so I wanted something that wasn't a manual believe it or not .

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
      I believe it, I have DSG GSW and love it.

23. 05-17-2017 09:35 AM #98
      Quote Originally Posted by gswtdi View Post
      I believe it, I have DSG GSW and love it.
      Im glad you like it. I bought my car on Sunday. Drove it back from Phoenix to Yuma and have been driving it all week. I have not filled the tank up yet!

Vehicles
      2015 Golf Sportwagen S Manual Pure White
      05-19-2017 09:52 PM #99
      After putting a deposit on a Golf SEL with DSG I bailed because I wanted a manual. Searched all over my area (Long Island), found 2 white manual S Wagons at Open Road VW in Manhattan. Worked out a deal over the phone that I could not refuse. Sad to see the GTI go but I'm finally a diesel owner! MSRP was $24,595, $26,035 with destination charge, splash guards, Monster Mats, roadside assistance kit and wheel locks. $1550 off sticker $5000 VW Cash and the 0% 72 months plus more then I wanted for my GTI.. I'm very happy with the deal and averaged 44 mpg on the way home in heavy traffic and hwy driving...(as per MFI) Will start using my Fuelly to get accurate reading on next tank..
      They still have 1 manual left as of when I left...

My GTI and Golf side by side

25. Member
      Vehicles
      2017 GSW S 5MT
      05-19-2017 10:54 PM #100
      For me the wait was way too long. The MK7 came out like 1-2 years before in Europe vs. North America. Then Dieselgate with no quick fix. It took almost 2 years. Originally this was the car I had intended to buy. I really wanted an MK7 GSW TDI 6 spd manual to replace my last car, a Kia Carens 2.0 Turbo Diesel wagon manual which I drove while in Korea. This would have been my ideal come back to America upgrade. The long wait and not knowing the North American VW Diesel future made me take a deep look into the 1.8 TSI. Overall , I am happy I decided on my car, a 2017 GSW S 1.8 TSI 5-spd manual. It gets 40+ Highway. Low end torque is great and it runs on 87 making it very economical.

I am still very curious as of the future of VW Diesels in North America. Would the American 2019 or 2020 GSW have the Diesel option again? Or is this a get them while you can because we will no longer offer Diesel for American markets in the future. My guess is the latter applies.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast