KilometerMagazine.com - What upper strut mounts arent garbage these days?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Results 26 to 41 of 41
    1. Member
      Join Date
      Apr 22nd, 2002
      Location
      NJ 08002
      Posts
      4,998
      Vehicles
      2 clunkers & 2 nicer clunkers
      04-24-2017 05:52 PM #26
      Thanks for the confirmation.

      -Todd

    2. 04-26-2017 10:10 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbit83 View Post
      Ebay, they will be delivered tomorrow.

      Just to let everyone know..... I ordered KYB bump stops and dust boot kits for the front, they were made in Germany.
      Those are probably the expanded foam polyurethane type, white color? I think BASF has the patent on it.

      Superior to the old black rubber bump stops. Once they split-and it doesn't take long-- the boot falls down.

      Like most have realized, not such thing as good rubber anymore unless it is made here, Japan, or India, and, it is not going to beat the new high density foam bump stops and the thermoplastic bellows covers.

      I'll say it again because I like to, but all the second generation strut mounts, as they are =junk, regardless of the brand or country of manufacture on the box. The design is defective; however, you can make them good with the 3M Window weld trick.

      Also, keep some cover over the mounts, like tuna cans, so the dirt from the road won't drop down in the bearings. You want your mounts, ideally, to last at least as long as your next strut replacement. Most twin tube struts are starting to poop out around 60-100K; if you have monotubes, I think the life is a bit longer (better be, for the extra they cost). I promise you if the mounts are not covered, sand and road dirt will get in them, not to mention water.

      Even with covering, the bearings will wear out or corrode, and might go out before your 3M Window Weld-reinforced mount rubber does. I always pack as much grease as I can in the bearing before putting it all back together.
      Last edited by chickenfriend; 04-26-2017 at 10:26 AM.

    3. Member briano1234's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      18,777
      Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      04-26-2017 02:06 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by chickenfriend View Post

      Even with covering, the bearings will wear out or corrode, and might go out before your 3M Window Weld-reinforced mount rubber does. I always pack as much grease as I can in the bearing before putting it all back together.
      I just usually spray wd-40 or pb blaster on the things semi-monthly for the same reason.

      Quote Originally Posted by chickenfriend View Post
      Tuna Cans??????
      That is why cats love my car.... Dang...maybe I should of washed them first......

    4. 04-26-2017 02:12 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post

      That is why cats love my car.... Dang...maybe I should of washed them first......
      Good wit.

    5. Member rabbitnothopper's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 19th, 2009
      Location
      D-Town REPRESENT : Texas
      Posts
      10,429
      Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      04-26-2017 07:09 PM #30
      tuna cans do fit perfectly over the tops.
      i have a set of gold ones...

    6. 04-26-2017 10:14 PM #31
      'it is unlikely that WD40 contains an oil of sufficiently high viscosity to provide adequate lubrication for the rolling element/bearing raceway interface.'
      http://machinerylubrication.com/Read...ring-lubricant

      'Due to its low viscosity, WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for certain tasks. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils. Those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.'
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

      If I were to lubricate a ball bearing under load, I certainly would use a grease made for that application. I lubricated mine with Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease before I installed them.
      https://mobiloil.com/en/synthetic-gr...nthetic-grease

    7. 04-27-2017 07:09 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      tuna cans do fit perfectly over the tops.
      i have a set of gold ones...
      After painting mine hot rod red and looking at them on the car, I decided that I did not want to draw attention to my strut mounts, so I opted for flat black.

      I hear the tuna tastes better out of the gold cans, though.

      I have a magnet I put under each of mine to keep them in place.

    8. Member briano1234's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      18,777
      Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      04-27-2017 07:16 AM #33
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      'it is unlikely that WD40 contains an oil of sufficiently high viscosity to provide adequate lubrication for the rolling element/bearing raceway interface.'
      http://machinerylubrication.com/Read...ring-lubricant

      'Due to its low viscosity, WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for certain tasks. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils. Those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.'
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

      If I were to lubricate a ball bearing under load, I certainly would use a grease made for that application. I lubricated mine with Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease before I installed them.
      https://mobiloil.com/en/synthetic-gr...nthetic-grease
      These don't have ball bearings in them and this isn't what we are talking about.

      The Strut has a Bushing, which is a type of bearing allows the strut to spin in the mount. This bushing can get debris in it or rust forming on it from the shaft, WD-40, or PB-blaster works well to Creep in to the minute gap of this bushing and allow it to spin and not bind on the shaft. This helps to prevent torsion shear of the rubber to the center metal from the turning of the wheel. This is what we are talking about. I have been doing this for about 30 plus years... So take your wiki crap and use it for yourself. Bearings are bearings, Bushing are bushings and love to be clean...

      This is what the Covers or tuna cans prevent keeping Moisture and debris out of the bushing preventing a bind.

    9. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2005
      Location
      Burr Ridge, IL
      Posts
      7,267
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-27-2017 08:13 AM #34
      Before this turns needlessly ugly:

      I assumed the wd40 was for a quick cleaning and dispersion, in addition to a light lubricating effect. I don't think he (or anyone) uses wd40 as a true lubricant.

      There is a ball bearing under the bushing/spacer AFAIK.

      I pack grease in the upper hole before installing the bushing, in the hopes some will work down into the bearing, and in the holes that the rest will stay on the bushing/spacer and at least seal everything off, in case I lose a cover.
      Work: it works, ibtches.

    10. 04-27-2017 09:55 AM #35
      The Febi mounts I have use ball bearings. That bearing is supporting the entire load of the vehicle and allows the spring to turn left/right. There may be some other mounts that use bushings, but no matter what, that bushing is still handling that same load.

      I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes but I also do not think WD40 should be used to lubricate that type of bearings/bushings. That type of lubricant is not designed to handle that type of load. It would also wash away the lubrication that was installed during manufacturing. I'm just trying to warn others and support my thoughts with links.

      As for the mounts not having bearings, see this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Demystified
      Of course, there are many manufacturers, so this is just one way [and appears to be a Febi]. I've seen the ones that FEQ and Meyle make and they also have a bearing. Maybe the mounts that O'Really sells have bushings. If any of you are flushing the upper strut mounts with WD40 and those have bearings it may be that is why they do not last long.
      Last edited by Butcher; 04-27-2017 at 11:44 AM.

    11. 04-27-2017 12:14 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      Before this turns needlessly ugly:

      I assumed the wd40 was for a quick cleaning and dispersion, in addition to a light lubricating effect. I don't think he (or anyone) uses wd40 as a true lubricant.

      There is a ball bearing under the bushing/spacer AFAIK.

      I pack grease in the upper hole before installing the bushing, in the hopes some will work down into the bearing, and in the holes that the rest will stay on the bushing/spacer and at least seal everything off, in case I lose a cover.

      That's the way I interpreted him, as well. He didn't say he was removing the grease, or washing the grease out. In fact, the grease cavity is not really accessible unless the bushing is removed, and you can't take the bushing out without removing the strut nut.

      I do put a little grease around the strut shaft before inserting the bushing, but there is not much of a gap there, so I think it is possible for corrosion to start on the bushing inside, in time. I can't see that a little squirt of WD 40 is going to harm anything, even though it is not something I would remember to do or want to do.

      Briano has been here a long time; I didn't think an overbearing "multiple-link lecture" on grease application was indicated.
      Last edited by chickenfriend; 04-27-2017 at 12:21 PM.

    12. 04-28-2017 06:49 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      These don't have ball bearings in them and this isn't what we are talking about.

      The Strut has a Bushing, which is a type of bearing allows the strut to spin in the mount. This bushing can get debris in it or rust forming on it from the shaft, WD-40, or PB-blaster works well to Creep in to the minute gap of this bushing and allow it to spin and not bind on the shaft. This helps to prevent torsion shear of the rubber to the center metal from the turning of the wheel. This is what we are talking about. I have been doing this for about 30 plus years... So take your wiki crap and use it for yourself. Bearings are bearings, Bushing are bushings and love to be clean...
      Quote Originally Posted by chickenfriend View Post
      Briano has been here a long time; I didn't think an overbearing "multiple-link lecture" on grease application was indicated.
      One post was to prove that WD40 is not designed to be used for the application that was suggested. I mentioned that I would use grease. That was all that I mentioned.

      Then Briano1234 posts a rant that just proves that he does not know that there are ball bearings in most of the ones we purchase. Maybe the ones he purchases has bushings. If they do, I would suggest he post a picture or two. Maybe there is a manufacture that makes mounts with bushings.

      I replied to the information with a link that shows that there are bearings in the bottom of the mount.

      Multi link lecture? I never stated in my first post that anyone was wrong. I just stated that bearing grease was what I use. With a rant like Briano, I certainly should be able to prove my point with a bit of clarity.

      Some of you people have many years experience with the Mk1 Volkswagen's, some have no clue. I certainly would not want anyone to spray WD40 into a strut bearing because someone said so on the internet. I'm just stating my case and I believe I provided enough information/links that support my believes. Again, I never said anyone was wrong, I stated that I would not use WD40 in that type of situation and wheel bearing grease is more appropriate.

      I've tried to PM Briano1234 so we could find a way we can both communicate here and not turn each thread into garbage. So far after several attempts, I've had no response. So I will publicly call out Briano to PM me. I have no issues with him. I understand he has given many of his hours to assist other. I applaud that.

      I do my best to pick and choose words to reflect what I think, I'm not the best. Most of my formal education was not in this country. I cannot change how people pick up the tone of my words.

    13. Member briano1234's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 20th, 2004
      Location
      Atlanta Ga
      Posts
      18,777
      Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      04-28-2017 09:54 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      After getting different makes Meyle, FEBI, I finally spent more monies on O'Reilly's ones why you ask? Because they have a LLW I will never purchase them again....
      I also had a stud break the press fit and spin on the install, so I have started to tack weld the studs on the bottom as well.
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I just installed some Febi/Bilsteins in my wife's 91 Cabriolet that I'm restoring. The original Febi's were in great shape. Matter of fact, if they were not so dirty, you could not tell the difference. So why did I replace them, because I already purchased them and did not want to hassle with returning them. I will install them in my 81 Rabbit Pickup with new Koni's soon.

      Urethane under the mounts would not hurt, like the others have mentioned, make certain it's dry.

      As for Lifetime warranty parts, if you do not mind changing them every year, then go ahead, O'Reilly's are fine.
      Snide remark about the quality of parts being provided by O'Reillys, Unlike you I have to spend monies wisely. I look for LLW's all the time.
      I stay local to me for big Items, that is Shocks, (Autozone), Starters, Alternators, plug wires (Pepboys), Others are Napa, and Walmart for Batteries,.... why because if I have an issue most of the places I have been going to for a long time, and I know them and they know me. O'Reillys because unlike others locally they offered a LLW on the Strutmounts...So I only have to buy them once. I have saved myself tons O'monies over the years on LLW's plus I get a good Discount as I have an account there...So I save monies both ways. Wally-World for a battery, yes because I drive quite a bit across this country, it is nice to know I can get a warranty at any wally-world....anywhere in the USA.
      I used to buy all my tires there because I had 3 of my cars going all over the state and out of state... loved the Road Hazard... Paid for more than one flat time in a different state.

      I have ordered from online, and the part went bad about 3 weeks later, the turn around time for the replacement was over a month, this is why I don't do online for Big ticket Items, and for others like myself I mention where you can go local to get things that have a good warranty.

      Don't think, I don't know a snide off handed remark when it is given. I don't mind changing things when they go bad whether they are under warranty or out of it. Change them every year, maybe if I bought from ebay... Which I did once for Hubs, never make that mistake again.
      Struts on the front with new mounts about 30 minutes a side after I get the wheel off...what's 30 minutes, if I have to change a mount.. been about a year since I did it, so I suspect that they are probably going bad as it is sitting in my garage....after all they are from O'Reilly's



      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      I just usually spray wd-40 or pb blaster on the things semi-monthly for the same reason.


      That is why cats love my car.... Dang...maybe I should of washed them first......
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      'it is unlikely that WD40 contains an oil of sufficiently high viscosity to provide adequate lubrication for the rolling element/bearing raceway interface.'
      http://machinerylubrication.com/Read...ring-lubricant

      'Due to its low viscosity, WD-40 is not always the preferred oil for certain tasks. Applications that require higher viscosity oils may use motor oils. Those requiring a mid-range oil could use honing oil.'
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

      If I were to lubricate a ball bearing under load, I certainly would use a grease made for that application. I lubricated mine with Mobil 1 wheel bearing grease before I installed them.
      https://mobiloil.com/en/synthetic-gr...nthetic-grease
      This was a off handed remark about debris and moisture getting to the mount if it is uncapped, or uncovered. I shoot PB-blaster or wd40 on the mount cap because it is just my way of doing things that aren't on a schedule. I didn't say to use it in the bearing, you assumed, and made another ass out of yourself. I never had thought of using tuna cans as covers.... I have a lot of experience in corrosion prevention in extreme environments. WD-40 or CRC 556..

      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      These don't have ball bearings in them and this isn't what we are talking about.

      The Strut has a Bushing, which is a type of bearing allows the strut to spin in the mount. This bushing can get debris in it or rust forming on it from the shaft, WD-40, or PB-blaster works well to Creep in to the minute gap of this bushing and allow it to spin and not bind on the shaft. This helps to prevent torsion shear of the rubber to the center metal from the turning of the wheel. This is what we are talking about. I have been doing this for about 30 plus years... So take your wiki crap and use it for yourself. Bearings are bearings, Bushing are bushings and love to be clean...

      This is what the Covers or tuna cans prevent keeping Moisture and debris out of the bushing preventing a bind.
      Quote Originally Posted by echassin View Post
      Before this turns needlessly ugly:

      I assumed the wd40 was for a quick cleaning and dispersion, in addition to a light lubricating effect. I don't think he (or anyone) uses wd40 as a true lubricant.

      There is a ball bearing under the bushing/spacer AFAIK.

      I pack grease in the upper hole before installing the bushing, in the hopes some will work down into the bearing, and in the holes that the rest will stay on the bushing/spacer and at least seal everything off, in case I lose a cover.


      Some folks also took umbrage and got the point I was making..I was talking about the bushing, and corrosion prevention. I suspect that I said these don't have ball bearings,,,, they do, but it wasn't the ball bearing I off-handed commented about.

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      The Febi mounts I have use ball bearings. That bearing is supporting the entire load of the vehicle and allows the spring to turn left/right. There may be some other mounts that use bushings, but no matter what, that bushing is still handling that same load.

      I'm not trying to step on anyone's toes but I also do not think WD40 should be used to lubricate that type of bearings/bushings. That type of lubricant is not designed to handle that type of load. It would also wash away the lubrication that was installed during manufacturing. I'm just trying to warn others and support my thoughts with links.
      Yes you do love it.


      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      As for the mounts not having bearings, see this thread http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ts-Demystified
      Of course, there are many manufacturers, so this is just one way [and appears to be a Febi]. I've seen the ones that FEQ and Meyle make and they also have a bearing. Maybe the mounts that O'Really sells have bushings. If any of you are flushing the upper strut mounts with WD40 and those have bearings it may be that is why they do not last long.
      There you go bad mouthing O'Reillys again, did they take away your rewards card?



      Quote Originally Posted by chickenfriend View Post
      That's the way I interpreted him, as well. He didn't say he was removing the grease, or washing the grease out. In fact, the grease cavity is not really accessible unless the bushing is removed, and you can't take the bushing out without removing the strut nut.

      I do put a little grease around the strut shaft before inserting the bushing, but there is not much of a gap there, so I think it is possible for corrosion to start on the bushing inside, in time. I can't see that a little squirt of WD 40 is going to harm anything, even though it is not something I would remember to do or want to do.

      Briano has been here a long time; I didn't think an overbearing "multiple-link lecture" on grease application was indicated.

      Thank you, I have been wrong on occasion, but shoot who hasn't. See Someone else took issue and wanted you to stop dragging a thread to a messy place.

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      One post was to prove that WD40 is not designed to be used for the application that was suggested. I mentioned that I would use grease. That was all that I mentioned.
      I never said I was doing anything but shooting a little light oil that creeps (kind of like you) into things to prevent things ie: rust. Oh, and a 3 link reply isn't a rant? What is it, an 'See I told you so na, na, na, na, na, na, and these links prove it....'

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      Then Briano1234 posts a rant that just proves that he does not know that there are ball bearings in most of the ones we purchase. Maybe the ones he purchases has bushings. If they do, I would suggest he post a picture or two. Maybe there is a manufacture that makes mounts with bushings.
      Never ranted, replied, and you didn't like it.

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I replied to the information with a link that shows that there are bearings in the bottom of the mount.

      Multi link lecture? I never stated in my first post that anyone was wrong. I just stated that bearing grease was what I use. With a rant like Briano, I certainly should be able to prove my point with a bit of clarity.
      Didn't prove a thing, because I wasn't speaking of greasing a bearing, I was talking about a quick squirt of oil...You obviously have issues with a quick squirt. And I guess you have never seen the bushing I am talking about.... We are talking about two totally different things...
      and you can't grasp that....and continue in wanting to win a pointless argument because you choose to.

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      Some of you people have many years experience with the Mk1 Volkswagen's, some have no clue. I certainly would not want anyone to spray WD40 into a strut bearing because someone said so on the internet. I'm just stating my case and I believe I provided enough information/links that support my believes. Again, I never said anyone was wrong, I stated that I would not use WD40 in that type of situation and wheel bearing grease is more appropriate.
      Technically that is true, but you are stalking everything I post, and I am not the only one that you are doing this to. Most Dub owners, haven't changed their grounds, which I recommend because it is an unshielded stranded cable that is over 30 years old You say test it.... We are Enthusiasts, and owners, We don't repair cars like you do, for monies and parts are billed back to a customer aren't they? and a quick replace of a ground cable prevents a lot of freaky crap from happening to other owners.... I have seen this countless times over the years, Cars, Computers, Airplanes, Ham Radios, and Home electrics.....


      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I've tried to PM Briano1234 so we could find a way we can both communicate here and not turn each thread into garbage. So far after several attempts, I've had no response. So I will publicly call out Briano to PM me.
      So much for trying to from a PM
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      Bury the Hatchet
      ... I guess my response of not responding quick enough to suit you...is what started your WAH.....I want my Maypo fit because I wasn't fast enough?

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I have no issues with him. I understand he has given many of his hours to assist other. I applaud that.
      Sure you do have issues with me, and for the life of me I don't have a clue as to why and yet, you need the pat on the back? I can think of it being with my foot and a little faster and a little lower if your nice I will wear my Cowboy boots, and not my Jump Boots.

      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      I do my best to pick and choose words to reflect what I think, I'm not the best. Most of my formal education was not in this country. I cannot change how people pick up the tone of my words.
      B.S.

      A little Clarity, there isn't anything I can say or suggest to you on how to stop being a belligerent, bombastic, know-it-all two year old...and how to behave in a forum or how to get along with others, that should of been taught to you by your parents.

      I learned a long time ago, to call it as I see it.
      BS....

      ps. You are the only one that comments on about every one of my posts as of late. So I don't think the issue is with me, or Ron, or Kammy.

      This thread is WAY over. Thanks Butchie for dragging another one in the mud.
      OBTW how many how-do-I-do-that's have you ever written for the forum? Not that any of mine are any good....Crap there are typo's and all kinds of grammatical crap wrong.... But then again....

      Quote Originally Posted by Rhett Butler
      Frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.
      Last edited by briano1234; 04-29-2017 at 06:46 AM. Reason: Spelled Rhett Wrong.

    14. Member
      Join Date
      Dec 27th, 2005
      Location
      Burr Ridge, IL
      Posts
      7,267
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-29-2017 08:28 PM #39
      Ooof
      Work: it works, ibtches.

    15. Member redzone98's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 10th, 2004
      Location
      Exit 0
      Posts
      10,381
      Vehicles
      16' GSW; 1990 Cabby FrankenDub, 09' Croutan
      05-05-2017 01:01 PM #40
      whoooffaa ! Brian they switch up your Meds again ?
      S&P Automotive mk1 #ProjectMonsterCabby
      #projectcabby
      Instagram : TheAnthraciteRabbit

    16. 05-05-2017 01:08 PM #41
      rest it.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •