KilometerMagazine.com - What upper strut mounts arent garbage these days?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    1. 04-17-2017 08:50 PM #1
      Looking at installing the Konis in my GTI here in the next couple of weeks. Looking for opinions on the best option for upper strut mounts.

I see FEQ, Meyle, Febi, KYB, and a couple other brands on ebay.

Thoughts?
      Last edited by rabbit83; 04-17-2017 at 09:01 PM.

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      04-17-2017 09:40 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbit83 View Post
      Looking at installing the Konis in my GTI here in the next couple of weeks. Looking for opinions on the best option for upper strut mounts.

Thoughts?
      After getting different makes Meyle, FEBI, I finally spent more monies on O'Reilly's ones why you ask? Because they have a LLW I will never purchase them again.

I also did the 3m Window Weld on the Bottoms You have to let it cure for about 3 days, and while they are still looking OEM, they have a slightly harsher (not as soft as oem) ride and sit slightly higher.
      see http://volkswagenownersclub.com/vw/s...uts-and-Mounts

I also had a stud break the press fit and spin on the install, so I have started to tack weld the studs on the bottom as well.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1981 Jetta 16v, 1977 Scirocco
      04-17-2017 10:06 PM #3
      Best thing to do is install taller aftermarket strut caps that allow the use of mk4 R32 bushings
      A variety of people make them these days

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '81 Rabbit L, '07 Eos 3.2L, '15 Golf LE
      04-17-2017 10:08 PM #4
      I have bought a couple extra early style mounts after finding how much better they are. Expect to pay a premium but it's worth it. Greg at CKW2 offers other alternatives, but make sure to tell him your car isn't lowered, most of theirs are for lowered cars. There is a company selling spherical bearing kits, but those ride very harsh. I'll dig through and find out who it was. I just installed KYBs on my Cabriolet to sell it and I have to say they are the nicest of the later kits. They Meyles suck, didn't last 100 miles.

If you do the 3m reinforcement method please let its sit for at least 3 days. I didn't and there's goop on my one wheel that will never come off lol.

5. 04-18-2017 08:21 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      If you do the 3m reinforcement method please let its sit for at least 3 days. I didn't and there's goop on my one wheel that will never come off lol.

Window weld as in the ribbon seal or the stuff in the tube?

Vehicles
      04-18-2017 09:32 PM #6
      Window weld as in the ribbon seal or the stuff in the tube?
      The stuff in the Caulking tube, about 20 bucks for a tube and you don't use the whole tube.....
      https://www.summitracing.com/parts/t...Q_UaAoK78P8HAQ

7. 04-18-2017 10:08 PM #7
      I just installed some Febi/Bilsteins in my wife's 91 Cabriolet that I'm restoring. The original Febi's were in great shape. Matter of fact, if they were not so dirty, you could not tell the difference. So why did I replace them, because I already purchased them and did not want to hassle with returning them. I will install them in my 81 Rabbit Pickup with new Koni's soon.

Urethane under the mounts would not hurt, like the others have mentioned, make certain it's dry.

As for Lifetime warranty parts, if you do not mind changing them every year, then go ahead, O'Reilly's are fine.

8. 04-19-2017 09:56 PM #8

Thoughts?
      They are all junk. It is a poor design to being with. Some have been known to fail as soon as the car is taken off the jack.

However, you can fill the gap with 3m Window Weld and make them good, as suggested. This is the simplest thing to do and the one I would recommend first. I don't know who first had this brilliant idea.

With this fix, you are turning the support into a compression stress, rather than a tension stress. With the late strut mounts, there is a patheticly small amount of rubber taking the weight of the nearly 1/2 of the front end of the car.

Another option is to convert to early mount housings. I went this route and used FOX inserts.
      Last edited by chickenfriend; 04-19-2017 at 10:00 PM.

9. 04-20-2017 01:28 AM #9
      I have K-Mac spherical top mounts in poly. Everything is deathly stiff, not sure how much contributed by the poly mounts vs the coilovers.

10. 04-20-2017 05:52 PM #10
      Thanks for all the info!

I bought a pair of Febi mounts and will do the window weld mod. There's plenty of time for them to dry before I need to install them.

Vehicles
      RIP81. 78 VW Rabbit 1.5L EH 4speed 020 GC->GP, 82 Rabbit Pickup 1.6D
      04-20-2017 11:30 PM #11
      Thanks for all the info!

I bought a pair of Febi mounts and will do the window weld mod. There's plenty of time for them to dry before I need to install them.
      ...and weld the studs...

12. 04-21-2017 09:03 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by rabbitnothopper View Post
      ...and weld the studs...

That too!

13. Member
      Vehicles
      2 clunkers & 2 nicer clunkers
      04-21-2017 07:33 PM #13
      Post a pic, when received. I'm curious if they're still made in Germany.

-Todd

Vehicles
      '84 Rabbit GTI | '86 Brat | '05 WRX
      04-21-2017 09:41 PM #14
      Where did you find the FEBI's? I haven't had much luck.

15. Member
      Vehicles
      81 scirocco 1.6 diesel 85 300TD
      04-22-2017 07:48 AM #15
      febi? ALL those stock mounts suck. Save your money, buy window weld and figure out where you can squirt the rest of the tube - you can fix motor mounts, seal leaks, and repair rubber with that stuff too. It won't stay good for long.

Rockauto has some mevotechs for $13
      or,
      try this trick:
      Get 100 bucks worth of stuff at AdvancdAuto online, use a discount code like TRT41 to get $40 of 100.
      You can get the 2 mounts, the windoweld, and some of that good syncromesh gear oil or whatever. Pay online and pickup at the store. BAM!

sometimes the windoweld is hard to locate on their website...
      http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/3...3m+window+weld

EDIT: Damn, I think the strut mounts have to be shipped for an extra charge, they had em in the store when I bought them. Maybe the KYB brand is worth the extra shipping. Deals are getting harder to find. good luck
      Last edited by sgnimj96; 04-22-2017 at 08:13 AM.

16. 04-22-2017 09:12 AM #16
      My parts warehouse has them in stock. Cost is $22. Comes with bump stop, bushing, metal spacer, and sleeve.

Are they still made in Germany? It's stamped with Germany on it, but I've seen Febi/Bilsteins stamped with Germany before with a made in China sticker on the box.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      04-22-2017 06:36 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      Are they still made in Germany? It's stamped with Germany on it, but I've seen Febi/Bilsteins stamped with Germany before with a made in China sticker on the box.

I'm guessing with all of the freebie parts, they're now Chinese. The recently installed set on the project car are marked "made in Germany". I'm going to use early mounts, so I suppose I'll hold onto them or sell them.

-Todd

Vehicles
      04-22-2017 08:45 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by ToddA1 View Post
      I'm guessing with all of the freebie parts, they're now Chinese. The recently installed set on the project car are marked "made in Germany". I'm going to use early mounts, so I suppose I'll hold onto them or sell them.

-Todd
      I got two boxes marked Meisterkraft, you know the plastic water outlet flanges, one said product of Germany, and it was made in China. Then I opened another that I bought from Napa, and it said made in Ireland.... (The irish ones lasted longer than the chinese...) Now since I have replaced most of my plastic parts, I don't have coolant issues... Go figure....

19. Member
      Vehicles
      1983 VW Rabbit GTI
      04-22-2017 08:54 PM #19
      What exactly is the "window Weld" Mod??

20. Member
      Vehicles
      81 scirocco 1.6 diesel 85 300TD
      04-23-2017 01:06 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by kehoeautomotive View Post
      What exactly is the "window Weld" Mod??
      https://vwgolfmk1.org.uk/forum/index...-up-your-strut

there is also some talk about "shaving" (grinding) down the spacer ring in the bearing so it barely clears the top of the bearing...

so it's 3 things: tack weld the bolts, fill the bottom gap with polyurethane, and maybe mess with spacer (don't over do that or the spacer is ruined)

oh yea, and then figure out what to do with the rest of the tube of the 3M 08609 ; I think a whole tube maybe could do 3 sets of of strut mounts.

21. Member
      Vehicles
      04-23-2017 08:51 AM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      I got two boxes marked Meisterkraft, you know the plastic water outlet flanges, one said product of Germany, and it was made in China. Then I opened another that I bought from Napa, and it said made in Ireland....
      I think the keywords are "made in". Those two words seem to be universal, for country of origin.

It's becoming a game of semantics. I've heard only a certain percentage of said part needs to be made in whatever country, to earn the words "made in", and the packaging is included in that percentage.

-Todd

22. Member
      Vehicles
      81 S, 84 GTI, 86 16V, 92 Cabby
      04-23-2017 09:23 AM #22
      I've noticed the same semantics game with food: "made with" does not equate to "made of".

It's bull$hit.
      Work: it works, ibtches.

23. 04-23-2017 03:42 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by tba02 View Post
      Where did you find the FEBI's? I haven't had much luck.

Ebay, they will be delivered tomorrow.

Just to let everyone know..... I ordered KYB bump stops and dust boot kits for the front, they were made in Germany.

24. 04-23-2017 07:24 PM #24
      Febi part #02336 comes with a bump stop and boot.

25. 04-24-2017 03:55 PM #25
      Mounts arrived today..

Box marked "Made in Germany"
      The "made with parts from" sticker only lists Germany
      Part is stamped Made in Germany on the "hat" part of the mount.

And they came with bump stops and dust boots as Butcher mentioned.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast