KilometerMagazine.com - Fixed 2015 TDI offer: $5,000 factory cash back + 0%
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Results 51 to 75 of 134
    1. Member cwescapexlt4x4's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 2nd, 2003
      Location
      623 PHX AZ area
      Posts
      1,599
      Vehicles
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i /2016 Ford Explorer/Previous 2013 & 2011 JSW TDI/97 Jetta
      04-19-2017 01:43 PM #51
      but is it really that good of a deal on an almost 3 year old car?
      tires, hoses, fluids, battery ... any funny smells, paint fade, bird droppings, etc.. Not to mention the "toxic" public perception now of VW/TDI/DIESEL mentioned together.

      I'd pass unless you can realistically get around $10K off...
      2017 Subaru Forester Touring 2.5i - 2016 Ford Explorer Limited
      **GONE VW #DasPolluter 2013 JSW TDI Oo>=====v=====<oO 2011 Kia Optima SX(Turbo)/2013 Ford Explorer XLT 4x4/2011 JSW TDI/2006 Ford Explorer EB 4x4 V8/2001 Focus wagon/2001 Ford Escape/97 Jetta GT

    2. Member VT1.8T's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 28th, 2003
      Location
      BTV
      Posts
      2,186
      Vehicles
      '16 GTI, a NOx Box, a CUV appliance and something everyone needs
      04-19-2017 01:47 PM #52
      Quote Originally Posted by cwescapexlt4x4 View Post
      but is it really that good of a deal on an almost 3 year old car?
      tires, hoses, fluids, battery ... any funny smells, paint fade, bird droppings, etc.. Not to mention the "toxic" public perception now of VW/TDI/DIESEL mentioned together.

      I'd pass unless you can realistically get around $10K off...
      Agreed. the warranty is very attractive, but the unknown of the second phase hardware fix is certainly a gamble. Quoted from Jalopnik:

      It’s worth mentioning that the warranty on these repaired cars is incredible. It covers the entire exhaust aftertreatment system including: “The Diesel Oxidation Catalyst, the Diesel Particulate Filter, the Selective Catalytic Reduction converter, the dosing injector and other Diesel Exhaust Fluid system components, the exhaust flap, and all sensors and actuators.”

      Perhaps more crucially (because many TDI owners have issues with these parts), it also covers the entire fuel system, “including fuel pumps, high pressure fuel rail, fuel injectors, vibration damper, pressure control valve and all sensors and actuators.”

      On top of that, the warranty applies to the EGR system, the turbocharger, the On-Board Diagnostic system, and a lot more.

      And it’s a long warranty, too. VW says it spans defines the the greater of two options: 1) Your car reaches 11 years of age and 162,000 miles or 2) Five years or 60,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date and mileage of the phase 1 fix.
      http://jalopnik.com/volkswagen-tdi-o...die-1791432942

    3. 04-19-2017 02:03 PM #53
      Wow all of you must have missed the ongoing "Would you buy a "new" 2015 Diesel" thread.

      I am purchasing a 2015 GSW TDI SE and should be picking it up this Friday if all goes well. My dealer is replacing tires, brakes, fuel filter, cabin filter on all cars.

      - Purchase deal is $5k off MSRP & 0% for 72 months. Loyalty cash only applies to MY2017 cars.

      - Lease deal is $8500 off MSRP on a 2 year lease with a low residual. My sales guy told me that two of his customers are taking the lease deal and then immediately paying off the loan.

      I couldn't care less about the stigma and I am not overly concerned that the cars have been sitting. Also - I don't know where "3 years old" comes from. Aren't we still about 6 months out from two years? IIRC dieselgate hit in September of 2015 so I supposed depending on build date it may be close to 2 years but the way diesels were selling before the scandal, it won't be any longer than 2.

      Regardless of what some people may think, the news of the discounts was released at the end of last week and the dealer I am buying from sold 10 cars over the weekend. These are going to go FAST. Glad I was able to snatch one up. Only thing I didn't get was the lighting package I was hoping for.

      At the end of the day I am getting an SE model with all of the features I want for less than a base model Alltrack which is what I was looking at. And Alltracks are being discounted about $300 off of MSRP at this point.
      Sure I don't have all wheel drive, but I never have in the past so I won't know what I am missing.
      Last edited by UncleJB; 04-19-2017 at 02:06 PM.

    4. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      2,558
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      04-19-2017 02:07 PM #54
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Wow all of you must have missed the ongoing "Would you buy a "new" 2015 Diesel" thread.

      I am purchasing a 2015 GSW TDI SE and should be picking it up this Friday if all goes well. My dealer is replacing tires, brakes, fuel filter, cabin filter on all cars.

      - Purchase deal is $5k off MSRP & 0% for 72 months. Loyalty cash only applies to MY2017 cars.

      - Lease deal is $8500 off MSRP on a 2 year lease with a low residual. My sales guy told me that two of his customers are taking the lease deal and then immediately paying off the loan.

      I couldn't care less about the stigma and I am not overly concerned that the cars have been sitting. Also - I don't know where "3 years old" comes from. Aren't we still about 6 months out from two years? IIRC dieselgate hit in September of 2015 so I supposed depending on build date it may be close to 2 years but the way diesels were selling before the scandal, it won't be any longer than 2.

      Regardless of what some people may think, the news of the discounts was released at the end of last week and the dealer I am buying from sold 10 cars over the weekend. These are going to go FAST. Glad I was able to snatch one up. Only thing I didn't get was the lighting package I was hoping for.
      How low is the residual? In this one case, depending on just how low that residual is, you'd be almost foolish not to lease it and see if these are worth gold or garbage at the end of the lease, and then turn in or buy and flip for profit depending on where the market is at.

      Also a lot of these are close to three years old, 2015s would've started going on sale late summer/early fall of 2014. Build date will be close to 3 years on a lot of these.

    5. 04-19-2017 02:15 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      How low is the residual? In this one case, depending on just how low that residual is, you'd be almost foolish not to lease it and see if these are worth gold or garbage at the end of the lease, and then turn in or buy and flip for profit depending on where the market is at.

      Also a lot of these are close to three years old, 2015s would've started going on sale late summer/early fall of 2014. Build date will be close to 3 years on a lot of these.
      I was looking at leasing at first and they gave me an example of a couple that just bought a loaded Golf. Price was about $30k. No money down, payments of $387/mo. Residual was $13k.

    6. 04-19-2017 02:18 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post

      Also a lot of these are close to three years old, 2015s would've started going on sale late summer/early fall of 2014. Build date will be close to 3 years on a lot of these.
      Also dieselgate didn't hit until September of 2015. If anything they would have been bringing 2016's onto the lot at that point in the year.

    7. Member Hajduk's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jan 24th, 2000
      Location
      Ottawa CDN
      Posts
      16,392
      Vehicles
      Golf GTI 7
      04-19-2017 02:22 PM #57
      These are the TDI deals in Canada:

      MY15 Golf TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,000 Finance Cash! OR
      Customer Cash Up to $8,000

      MY15 Sportwagen TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,000 Finance Cash! OR
      Customer Cash Up to $8,000

      MY15 Jetta TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,500 Finance Cash! OR
      Customer Cash Up to $8,500

      MY15 Passat TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $7,500 Finance Cash! OR
      Customer Cash Up to $9,500

      MY15 Beetle TDI: 0% finance up to 60 Months + Up to $6,000 Finance Cash! OR
      Customer Cash Up to $7,700

      Offer valid from April 11 to April 30th.

    8. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      2,558
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      04-19-2017 02:35 PM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      Also dieselgate didn't hit until September of 2015. If anything they would have been bringing 2016's onto the lot at that point in the year.
      Right, which doesn't change anything I said. Plenty of cars sitting around on lots for 6, 9, 12 months across all manufacturers. If it's a MY2015, it could very well have been built in mid-late 2014 and been sitting for a year before the scandal hit, so check the build date before you buy. Just because dieselgate didn't hit til just as '16s were arriving doesn't mean there aren't '15s that just didn't sell and weren't already sitting around on the lot for a long time before that.

    9. Member masa8888's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 5th, 2003
      Location
      Reston VA
      Posts
      7,422
      Vehicles
      2017 A7 3.0T Prestige S-Line Black Optic Pkg
      04-19-2017 02:40 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      Right, which doesn't change anything I said. Plenty of cars sitting around on lots for 6, 9, 12 months across all manufacturers. If it's a MY2015, it could very well have been built in mid-late 2014 and been sitting for a year before the scandal hit, so check the build date before you buy. Just because dieselgate didn't hit til just as '16s were arriving doesn't mean there aren't '15s that just didn't sell and weren't already sitting around on the lot for a long time before that.
      Mk7 TDI models were not launched in the US till around June 2015. Average build dates are probably going to be a few months before that, so 2 years old is a good guestimate.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      2,558
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      04-19-2017 02:41 PM #60
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Mk7 TDI models were not launched in the US till around June 2015. Average build dates are probably going to be a few months before that, so 2 years old is a good guestimate.
      And Jettas and Passats? Good thing MK7s are the only TDIs they sold...

    11. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 6th, 2012
      Posts
      2,558
      Vehicles
      2017 Tiguan SEL 4MO; 2012 Beetle w/Sunroof
      04-19-2017 02:43 PM #61
      duplicate

    12. 04-19-2017 02:56 PM #62
      Anything around SoCal? Seems like the nearest place offering the deal is in Vegas.

    13. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 5th, 2004
      Location
      Southern Indiana
      Posts
      33,640
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      04-19-2017 02:56 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      And Jettas and Passats? Good thing MK7s are the only TDIs they sold...
      Oh come on. They were just parked after the scandal hit, not before. They were up front, inventory was moving and people were going on test drives before the stop sale hit. It's not like it was a car they couldn't move off the lots in a decent amount of time.

      Don't get me wrong. Do I think it's as good of a deal as the diesel fanboys? Nope, but I don't think a car sitting 18 months is the end of the world, either.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

    14. Member Eye Candy White's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 8th, 2006
      Location
      Cincinnati, OH
      Posts
      576
      Vehicles
      MKV GTI, MKVII Sportwagen TDI
      04-19-2017 02:58 PM #64
      Going to be interesting to see how the re-sale values on these 2015's compare with the buyback amount that I'm offered from VW on my wife's 2015.

      Is there a scenario where I take the buyback, and then buy my car back from the same dealer for something less than the difference between the buyback amount and the "hush money" if I'd have just kept it in the first place. I'm sure this won't happen in most cases, but if the deals get good enough, it's certainly possible.

      And, if I do decide to take the buyback, there sure as hell better be a 0% financing deal waiting for me on a new 2018 model GSW, GAT, or Tiguan LWB.

    15. 04-19-2017 03:08 PM #65
      Quote Originally Posted by UncleJB View Post
      I am purchasing a 2015 GSW TDI SE and should be picking it up this Friday if all goes well. My dealer is replacing tires, brakes, fuel filter, cabin filter on all cars.
      Can you comment on performance after the fix? The specifics (hardware and software) were discussed earlier, but I haven't read how it potentially affects performance (power and mpg).

    16. Member Volkl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 2nd, 2003
      Location
      Minneapolis, MN
      Posts
      510
      Vehicles
      '15 GSW TDI '15 EVO GSR
      04-19-2017 03:15 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by masa8888 View Post
      Mk7 TDI models were not launched in the US till around June 2015. Average build dates are probably going to be a few months before that, so 2 years old is a good guestimate.
      Huh? My TDI has a build date of 04.15, purchased 06.15.

      My guess though is that most of the left over inventory would be the later build dates though, since this broke out in 09.15. The dealers in my area were discounting the TDIs pretty heavily back in 06.15. $3-4K off MSRP, plus 0.9% financing could be found all over, without even trying to negotiate.

      That being said, I've got an Golf Wagon SE with 40K miles on it now, and have found a GSW SEL. With my buyback amount, I can sell my car back to VW, get into the SEL for less than I paid for the SE, pay down the loan to the balance I currently have, and have a car with more options, zero miles, and no interest on the remaining amount of the loan.

    17. Senior Member dunhamjr's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 21st, 2002
      Location
      Kent, WA
      Posts
      25,313
      Vehicles
      14 Mazda6 Touring, 05 Sienna LE, 04 Saab 9-5W, 93 S4, 02 Ninja 250
      04-19-2017 03:21 PM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by shawshank redemption View Post
      I work at a VW dealership. Service departments are being paid from VW to perform monthly check ups on the TDIs.
      and what happens once the cars are moved offsite to a dumping ground?
      do the dealer service departments send their techs on all day field trips to the dumping grounds to check on rotting cars?
      epitome
      Mr. Money Mustache

      2.0 TDI "BHW" engine partout - @tdiclub @vwvortex

    18. Member gonzo08452's Avatar
      Join Date
      Apr 16th, 2006
      Location
      yorba linda, ca
      Posts
      9,135
      Vehicles
      02 BMW 325I 5spd/ 97 Jetta/ 2012 Acura TSX wagon / 2000 BMW 323I 5spd
      04-19-2017 03:24 PM #68
      Warranty starts on the in-service date correct?

      As far as tires and batteries, you can always check the DOT and the date on the batteries and possibly negotiate that into the deal via a Due Bill during finance.

    19. 04-19-2017 03:26 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by puma1552 View Post
      And Jettas and Passats? Good thing MK7s are the only TDIs they sold...
      I think he was responding to my comments because I am specifically buying a MK7. Could some of the cars have sat that long? I suppose. But based on the popularity at least in my market I doubt any of the GSW or Golfs did. Jettas and Passats maybe. I will make sure to post my build date when I pick up the car.

    20. Member someguy123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2005
      Location
      The Financial Lounge
      Posts
      17,324
      Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      04-19-2017 03:26 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      That's more like it. Although it seems like the DMV area consistently has the best prices on new VWs.

      OTOH, these are likely to be the last brand new diesel VWs ever sold. So

      1. Buy heavily discounted TDI
      2. Don't drive it much and keep it garaged for 15 years
      3. ????????
      4. Profit when it goes for 2x MSRP at Barrett Jackson


      I'm sure it'll work out that way. Everyone at TDI Club says so.
      GM brings in their 1.5 TDI for the Cruze with AT and MT options.

      VW TDI = worth nothing

    21. Geriatric Member Aonarch's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 4th, 2006
      Location
      Atlanta, GA
      Posts
      40,373
      Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      04-19-2017 03:28 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by gonzo08452 View Post
      Warranty starts on the in-service date correct?

      As far as tires and batteries, you can always check the DOT and the date on the batteries and possibly negotiate that into the deal via a Due Bill during finance.
      Exactly.

    22. Member someguy123's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 30th, 2005
      Location
      The Financial Lounge
      Posts
      17,324
      Vehicles
      Handed in my car enthusiast 'card'.
      04-19-2017 03:28 PM #72
      Golf and Wagon are the only TDIs worth getting since they have optional LED-daytime, HID headlights.

    23. 04-19-2017 03:32 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griffin View Post
      Can you comment on performance after the fix? The specifics (hardware and software) were discussed earlier, but I haven't read how it potentially affects performance (power and mpg).
      This will be my first TDI so unfortunately (or maybe fortunately for me) I don't have a benchmark. I have read some comments from people that had the fix done and opinions varied. Some noticed a sluggishness from starting off in first. Others didn't seem to notice any difference. MPG's seem to have stayed roughly the same.

      Again, a lot of this is subjective and from the internetz and I don't have any of my own feedback to offer based on my own experiences.

    24. Member Ark6's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 14th, 2007
      Location
      Brisbane ,CA
      Posts
      3,529
      Vehicles
      05 S2000 (Sold)
      04-19-2017 03:50 PM #74
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Assuming you can sell the car, you'd be underwater by a lot. Resale value for a TDI has gone to the sh**ter and its a 3+ year old car when some 2018 models are coming into the lot. I'd pass unless its below $10k.

    25. Member 87'moneypit's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 15th, 2003
      Location
      Cornville, AZ
      Posts
      2,952
      04-19-2017 04:06 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by MN Mongo View Post
      I think it was a post-cat NOx sensor and another or new catalyst, coupled with a software update. i haven't heard how performance is affected.
      I test drove one of the 2015's on Monday and was very disappointed, very sluggish in my opinion compared to our 2016 1.8t GSW, very poor acceleration... I wonder what the output is now compared to before the fix... We had a 2012 JSW TDI and it wasnt fast, but definitely was better that these 2015's with the "fix" applied.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •