KilometerMagazine.com - Finally joined the R family aaaaaaaand power steering went out
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    Results 1 to 10 of 10
    1. 04-19-2017 06:17 PM #1
      Just bought a mk4 r32 the other day and was stoked to take it for a drive. slapped plates on the thing and hopped on the road and after about a half hour the power steering just completely cut out. the previous owner had the rack and pinion replaced with a used part out of another R right before I bought the car because he said it failed. I'm almost positive that the pump is the issue right now because the PAS fluid is fine (not leaking and at a normal level). I dont hear any screeching or noise coming from the pump but it's just really hard to turn the wheel. The car drives fine other than that, I drove it to work this morning with no issue other than the power steering. thoughts? If its the pump should I bite the bullet and spend alot of money at the dealer for the part or could I get away with one of the pumps on ECS?

    2. Member jerryel1nico's Avatar
      Join Date
      Aug 3rd, 2012
      Location
      New York
      Posts
      1,679
      Vehicles
      2000 VW GTI VR6 12V, 2004 VW Golf R32
      04-19-2017 06:29 PM #2
      That's your risk with an aftermarket pump. You can steal the part number from ecs and buy the part from vwpartsvortex.com

    3. 04-19-2017 06:45 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by jerryel1nico View Post
      That's your risk with an aftermarket pump. You can steal the part number from ecs and buy the part from vwpartsvortex.com
      No I think the pump in the car currently that died is the original pump. I'm asking if I should buy an aftermarket replacement or spend the extra cash for the oem part from vw. Or if the pump is even the problem at all

    4. Member FGuri32's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 26th, 2007
      Location
      NY
      Posts
      3,191
      Vehicles
      .:R
      04-21-2017 10:00 AM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandaman919 View Post
      No I think the pump in the car currently that died is the original pump. I'm asking if I should buy an aftermarket replacement or spend the extra cash for the oem part from vw. Or if the pump is even the problem at all
      get a used one from Autohaus. I think they have lifetime warranty on it. not sure. but be careful when getting replacement pump. our cars came with two versions. make sure you get the same one on your car now.

      Just curious- is your car silver? did you buy it in PA by any chance?

    5. 04-21-2017 10:16 AM #5
      Nope. Blue from NJ. I'm gonna get the pump from VW since I get a discount through my job and the place that did the rack originally said that it is under warranty if I bring it back to them

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

    6. Member Auzlndr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2014
      Location
      NE of Seattle-ish, WA
      Posts
      645
      Vehicles
      2004 R32 // 1999 BMW R1100S // 2001 Ducati 996 // 2013 Brammo Enertia Plus
      04-21-2017 11:30 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandaman919 View Post
      Nope. Blue from NJ. I'm gonna get the pump from VW since I get a discount through my job and the place that did the rack originally said that it is under warranty if I bring it back to them
      Here's what I believe FGuri32 was referring to about different pumps coming on our vehicles:

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ips&p=99130321

    7. 04-21-2017 12:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by Auzlndr View Post
      Here's what I believe FGuri32 was referring to about different pumps coming on our vehicles:

      http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...ips&p=99130321
      Yah I saw that thread. If I take the power steering pump off to get the part number can I drive the car without it? Or is there a way Volkswagen could tell which pump I need by my vin number?

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

    8. Member Auzlndr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 19th, 2014
      Location
      NE of Seattle-ish, WA
      Posts
      645
      Vehicles
      2004 R32 // 1999 BMW R1100S // 2001 Ducati 996 // 2013 Brammo Enertia Plus
      04-21-2017 02:14 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Dandaman919 View Post
      Yah I saw that thread. If I take the power steering pump off to get the part number can I drive the car without it? Or is there a way Volkswagen could tell which pump I need by my vin number?
      It sounds like VIN should do it. I wish that thread was more clear, is it before the cutoff that can take either? Or, after?

      There are some parts lookup pages that accept VINs. I pasted mine in, and got an error on two of them. VW's recall tracker accepts my VIN, however, so I know I have it right.

      I don't think you can drive without the pump on. Check #5 here:
      http://i28.tinypic.com/abmmxd.jpg

      Without the pump the serpentine belt won't fit.

    9. 04-21-2017 02:15 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Auzlndr View Post
      It sounds like VIN should do it. I wish that thread was more clear, is it before the cutoff that can take either? Or, after?

      There are some parts lookup pages that accept VINs. I pasted mine in, and got an error on two of them. VW's recall tracker accepts my VIN, however, so I know I have it right.

      I don't think you can drive without the pump on. Check #5 here:
      http://i28.tinypic.com/abmmxd.jpg

      Without the pump the serpentine belt won't fit.
      Yah I kinda figured I need to have the pump on. I'm probably gonna stop by VW after I get out of work and have them look up the part from my vin

      Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

    10. 04-22-2017 10:32 AM #10
      So I ordered the pump from VW along with a few other small things I needed. They were able to know which pump I needed by the VIN number so that was a score. The pump is supposed to be there tuesday so I will update when I get the part. Since I couldnt find a DIY on this I'm going to use this thread to document my progress.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •