KilometerMagazine.com - The Gross Polluter is gone, and we are embracing our electrified future. (Bolt content within...)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    1. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 02:42 PM #1
      Our 2012 TDI went back to the dealer last week. I present its replacement, a 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier:

We knew that an higher range EV made a ton of sense for a TDI replacement. Although we had also placed a deposit on a Model 3, Tesla's history of not delivering vehicles on time pushed us in the direction of the Bolt.

This car has both packages (infotainment and driver confidence). It's an interesting combination of a lot of nice features (wireless phone charging pocket, 4 heated seats, auto high beam, LTE hotspot) and some economy car interior materials (hard plastics on the door panels, etc). The steering wheel is nicely chunky, and the controls overall are very well designed.

The dash displays are very bright and easy to read, although entirely different than those offered in any other GM product. The IP display is very configurable, which is nice, and gives you a lot of information in real time about your range/regen/use depending on mode.

The driving experience is surprisingly good. It's quick (200hp/266 lb-ft of tq) and you never feel like it's out of breath even when 4 up. It handles surprisingly well, with the low center of gravity counteracting the tall profile. The ride is quite well judged, taught but never harsh like our old 2004 Prius was, and it disguises the relatively hefty weight well (3650lbs).

Interior packaging is excellent. There is plenty of room for 4 adults (it's far better than my Mk7 GTI in that respect), and the battery bump under the rear seat means you have theatre seating which is nice. There is more cargo room than I expected; there is a false floor that has about another 10-12" of space beneath (no spare tire though). Visibility is excellent overall, even to the rear which surprised me.

My only quibble is the comfort of the front seats. They are a space and weight saving design, which means they feel like a 'thin pad' coach seat on a domestic airline. Fine for short trips, but I found myself shifting around a bit after 2+ hours.

The big question: What about range? Is 238mi realistic? Well, we took it to Vancouver BC a couple of weekends ago, which is ~145mi from our house. On the drive up, we didn't use a lot of HVAC (nice day) and didn't hit any bad wind or weather. Even with a 30min wait at the border crossing, we arrived in Vancouver with 80mi range left; not bad given we were doing 70+ most of the way up with a bit of stop and go. On the way home, we had a stiff headwind, rain, were using HVAC/seat heaters/wipers/radio/lights, and doing 75+mph most of the way as we were a bit pressed for time. We also hit nasty stop and go traffic twice. We arrived home with just over 35mi of range left. That's without a charging stop up or back (but charging overnight at the hotel).

In daily use, it's been fine. You could go a week without charging if you wanted. We installed a JuiceBox EVSE at home for relatively quick charging.

My biggest issue is with the current DC Fast Charging infrastructure. It's meager at best, even in the EV-loving Pacific Northwest, and there are too many standards currently. This is where Tesla truly wins at the moment. But given this car's typical remit, we'll be fine with it for now.

Overall, I'm very impressed.
      Last edited by Numbersix; 04-20-2017 at 03:54 PM.

Vehicles
      Golf 7 R, NA Miata, Ford Ranger
      04-20-2017 02:45 PM #2
      In for updates on range and how it actually drives.

3. 04-20-2017 02:47 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Same.

Congrats, thanks for Beta testing.

Is the chevy logo on the back glued/d-taped on there?
      Last edited by spoonie; 04-20-2017 at 02:51 PM.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      1990 VW Corrado, 2002 Audi allroad, 2015 Fiat 500e
      04-20-2017 02:47 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Smigelski View Post
      Same here. I'm not a huge fan of the looks but really like the range and capability this brings.

5. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 02:54 PM #5
      Yeah, sorry. Had to pause and switch from mobile to desktop to finish my thoughts.

I'll post more photos and updates as we go. I think we have about 700 miles on it now.

With it's near twin, the Fit:
      Last edited by Numbersix; 04-20-2017 at 02:57 PM.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      04-20-2017 02:56 PM #6
      Congrats! I love how the Bolt looks

Vehicles
      '15 BMW i3 Suite, '15 Kia Soul Ev, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      04-20-2017 02:57 PM #7
      Congrats! You beat us too it! Same color even. Expect to get our late may, and I find your first impressions promising

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      05 330ci ZHP conv; 15 BMW 328i; 12 Toyota Highlander Limited AWD; 2016 Nissan Leaf SV
      04-20-2017 03:02 PM #8
      Congrats! Looks great.
      Last edited by VAB5; 04-20-2017 at 03:16 PM.

9. 04-20-2017 03:03 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post

Ah. Seattle. Map looks quite familiar: Been through your area a bazillion times, we have friends that live not terribly far from there.

Congratulations on your car, and my compliments on being an early adopter. Looking forward to your future reports...

10. Global Moderator Paul@VWvortex's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '17 A3 E-Tron, '17 JKUR, '96 VRT Cabrio, TDi Tristar Syncro, 1980 Scirocco S "Der Ott"
      04-20-2017 03:07 PM #10
      Awesome review and great write-up! I am very excited for this to come to the Phoenix market later this year. It would make an excellent HOV commuter for me if it leases out pretty well.

Vehicles
      '91 Porsche 964, '95 Mercedes E320, '04 Porsche Boxster, '17 Subaru Outback 3.6R
      04-20-2017 03:20 PM #11
      BlackMesa4Lyfe

I'm in to see how this works out for you. It could be a definite contender in the future for the SO if/when they're available in Florida.

12. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Nissan Versa 2017 Honda Accord EX-L
      04-20-2017 03:40 PM #12
      I have really been wanting a Bolt! But no one can seem to answer this question: I always get money back from the government on my yearly taxes. Will I still be able to take advantage on the $7,500 back from the IRS?

04-20-2017 03:55 PM #13
      I want a ride! But seriously, keep us updated on how it holds. Great purchase.
      Quote Originally Posted by Doug Butabi View Post
      And on the tenth day of the two thousand fifteenth year, TCL finds out about rich people.

14. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 03:57 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by spoonie View Post
      Same.

Congrats, thanks for Beta testing.

LOL. The battery pack and EV electronics were designed in conjunction with LG, which is one of the largest manufacturers of packs in the world. They also drew heavily upon the EV system in the Volt when designing this system, and those cars have proven very reliable in service overall. This has less overall complexity (no gas genset) so I'm hoping we won't see many issues.

RE: The logo--I haven't looked at that...yet.

15. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 03:58 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by Merckx View Post
      I have really been wanting a Bolt! But no one can seem to answer this question: I always get money back from the government on my yearly taxes. Will I still be able to take advantage on the $7,500 back from the IRS?
      I think that's something you'd be best off asking your tax professional. I'm not sure if the typical TurboTax online resource will model those scenarios or not.

16. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 03:59 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by TangoRed View Post
      I want a ride! But seriously, keep us updated on how it holds. Great purchase.
      If I can ever pry it out of my SO's hands (not my primary driver), I'll be happy to demo it.

17. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-20-2017 04:00 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by Paul@VWvortex View Post
      Awesome review and great write-up! I am very excited for this to come to the Phoenix market later this year. It would make an excellent HOV commuter for me if it leases out pretty well.
      It's an ideal commuter, Paul. Quiet, great visibility, not deathly boring to drive.

Vehicles
      2013 Volt; 1/35th of a Model 3
      04-20-2017 04:06 PM #18
      But no one can seem to answer this question:
      It's extremely simple.

I always get money back from the government on my yearly taxes.
      Irrelevant. That just means you're having more withheld from each paycheck than necessary, it says nothing about how much Federal tax you are paying and therefore how much of a credit you can take advantage of.

Will I still be able to take advantage on the $7,500 back from the IRS?
      Look at your LAST YEAR's Form 1040 Line 63: "This is your total tax"

If that number on line 63 is $7500 or greater, you would be able to get the full advantage of the $7500 tax credit if you buy a Bolt this year. Then when you file this year's taxes, the $7500 credit will be factored in and your line 63 for this year would be $7500 less than last year's.

EDITED: Clarified what I was trying to say based on discussion a couple of posts below this one.
      Last edited by OOOO-A3; 04-20-2017 at 05:00 PM.

19. 04-20-2017 04:14 PM #19
      "Aperture Laboratories" sticker? Do you work for Valve?

Nice car BTW, I'm seriously considering buying the Opel Ampera-e when they start selling it here in Finland. I just hope that the adaptive cruise control becomes available for 2018 models.

Vehicles
      04-20-2017 04:19 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      I present its replacement, a 2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
      Congratulations!! I was wondering who was going to be the first on here - though not officially available for me yet, there's a dealer in the next state who will order me one. I just have been busy traveling. Part of that travel was in Los Angeles, and I rented one for 3 hours from GM's Maven service (which is pretty much just like ZipCar). Absolutely love it, and like you I will cancel my Model 3 reservation/deposit as soon as I order a Bolt. Not because I don't believe in the Model 3, but because if I get the Bolt I wouldn't plan to replace it in the near future. The Bolt was a fantastic drive, the user interface was good, and it just felt overall really great. The 'hard plastic' trope is a non-issue once you shut the doors and actually drive. In the next couple of weeks I may be back there and plan to take one on a drive through the Angeles Crest mountains

I see you've discovered that the display backgrounds can be permanently set to 'dark mode' One photo request, if possible: can you post a pic of (4?) standard rollaboard bags in the back with the seats *not* folded? I think if they're standing upright and facing sideways that 4 will fit.

Vehicles
      2011 Clubman JCW
      04-20-2017 04:20 PM #21
      There is one parked on my way to work that has had that badge removed, looks pretty slick. Must just be glued/taped, no indent or holes for it or anything.

Vehicles
      04-20-2017 04:22 PM #22
      I'm pretty sure it is stuck to the glass without any locating holes, so it's just a hairdryer (or hot day) and monofilament line away from looking much cleaner I vote that Numbersix should become the official tester of this theory.

04-20-2017 04:25 PM #23
      Its not a deduction. Its a tax credit. It is taken off the bottom line "what you owe" on your tax form.
      If you already paid more into the system than "what you owe" you get the difference refunded. In this case that difference would be $7,500 greater, so your refund would be greater (assuming everything about the situation qualifies).
      Chris
      2014 Passat SE, 1.8tsi, 5sp
      2007 GTI 16v, 4 door, 6sp
      2005 20V E-450 motor home
      A2 Golf & A2 Coupe racers

24. Member
      Vehicles
      '17 Volt, '86 BMW 325E
      04-20-2017 04:25 PM #24
      Quote Originally Posted by OOOO-A3 View Post
      It's extremely simple.

Irrelevant. That just means you're having more withheld from each paycheck than necessary, it says nothing about how much Federal tax you are paying and therefore how much of a credit you can take advantage of.

Look at your Form 1040 Line 63: "This is your total tax"

If that number on line 63 is $7500 or greater, you get the full advantage of the $7500 tax credit.
      Close but not quite

Line 63 is the result of your tax liability based on your adjusted income (Line 44), whatever credits you are claiming (sum of lines 57 thru 62), and other taxes from lines 57 thru 62. The $7500 is line 54 (part of box c). Line 63 then looks at the difference between your tax liability, your credits and other taxes.

To take full advantage of the $7500, the $7500 plus any other credits within lines 48-54 cannot exceed your tax from line 47. If I recall, it specifically states that if your sum of credits exceeds your lines 48-54 is greater than your tax obligation from line 47, your resultant in line 56 is "0". Line 63 then takes your tax liability from line 56 and add's things like self-employment tax, unreported social security, etc.

If you take no other credits in lines 48-54 and claim no other taxes in lines 57-62, your tax on line 47 should be greater than or equal to $7500 to take full advantage. Per the 2016 tax tables, (if you are filing single), your adjusted gross income should be no less than $46,900.

Lastly, your refund is then the difference between line 64 (what you paid) and line 63 (what you owe).

-disclaimer, I'm not a tax person...
      Last edited by kickapoo; 04-20-2017 at 04:30 PM.

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      04-20-2017 04:27 PM #25
      Super cool!

For advertising information click HERE

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast