KilometerMagazine.com - The Gross Polluter is gone, and we are embracing our electrified future. (Bolt content within...)
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
      Vehicles
      1995 Sport 90 Quattro, 1991 Coupé Quattro
      04-20-2017 11:38 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      2018 EGolf, save yourself 15k+ also looks significantly better. You could buy a current one but your range will be less ~125, but the build quality and comfort blow the bolt away. My dad just leased a loaded Volt, but is planning to upgrade to the EGolf when they hit nationwide sale.

Edit: Leased not bought, this is the first car they've ever leased

Saying the bolt seats 5 also is quite comical, that's like saying a Festiva seats 25 clowns. Rear seat room is less than our former 2002 Mini.
      I hear you; future cars are not competition today. The point is that comparing the Bolt to all $50k cars is apples to bananas. It'll be great if the 2018 e-Golf delivers.

WRT seats, 5 seat belts matter if you have small people to cart around. At least it does not have the Volt's center hump.
      Ed Hankin *All posts subject to inaccuracy due to multi-tasking and autocorrect.
      1PissedOff90 1995 Sport 90 Quattro with too much to list
      1991 Audi Coupe Quattro 7aT Holset, VEMS, ETC

2. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Ford Focus 1.0, 2008 MINI Cooper S
      04-21-2017 12:06 AM #52

Saying the bolt seats 5 also is quite comical, that's like saying a Festiva seats 25 clowns. Rear seat room is less than our former 2002 Mini.

Odd, I found the Bolt's rear leg room to be MASSIVELY larger than both MINIs I've owned. It easily has more leg room than my Focus hatch too.
      Last edited by E365; 04-21-2017 at 12:33 AM.

Vehicles
      '15 BMW i3 Suite, '15 Kia Soul Ev, '01 Lotus Elise S2
      04-21-2017 01:11 AM #53
      2018 EGolf, save yourself 15k+ also looks significantly better. You could buy a current one but your range will be less ~125, but the build quality and comfort blow the bolt away. My dad just leased a loaded Volt, but is planning to upgrade to the EGolf when they hit nationwide sale.

Edit: Leased not bought, this is the first car they've ever leased

I am going to believe my own lying eyes on this one.

flick
      r
      | Listen to No Agenda!

Quote Originally Posted by thisisdog View Post
      The internet has gotten significantly better since Russians started buying video cameras.

Vehicles
      2008 Cayman S, 2004 E500 4Matic Wagon
      04-21-2017 01:53 AM #54
      Still can't believe 50k, but I remembered that I saw a development mule in August last year and never got around to posting pics.

04-21-2017 02:04 AM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by gti_matt View Post
      My partner got one two months ago in the same color, Premier, and nearly all options. Out the door MSRP (nobody is discounting this car unless it's on the dealer's lot in one of the more polarizing colors like orange) plus taxes and fees, etc. = $50K.
      I was going to ask where people are getting "$50k" from, but I see it now. Taxes & fees are all over the place so it's rarely useful to mention them on a forum, because they're different in every state. A Bolt EV Premier with both the Infotainment & Driver Confidence II package as well as the $400 premium for the special blue paint, another $750 for the DC quickcharge option AND the $895 destination fee comes to about $44k before the tax credit. After the tax credit the effective cost is $36,500. So at least for now, while the tax credits are still valid, it's a lot more fair to call it $36,500 not $50k. Again, that's with ringing the register for virtually every single option, including destination fee, and going out at MSRP. There will be plenty of buyers getting these cars for under $30k once the Model 3 is out and demand falls off for the Bolt, but before hitting the delivery cap for the $7500 tax credit.
      Last edited by AZGolf; 04-21-2017 at 02:07 AM.

6. Senior Member
      04-21-2017 02:22 AM #56
      My partner got one two months ago in the same color, Premier, and nearly all options. Out the door MSRP (nobody is discounting this car unless it's on the dealer's lot in one of the more polarizing colors like orange) plus taxes and fees, etc. = $50K.
      Highest MSRP with all options including extra cost color is about $44k (US), so you must live in an extremely high tax and license cost state (higher than California) to get to $50k.

This is obviously before the tax rebate and other rebates (if any) from a state or utility company in your area.

Vehicles
      Lowered Outback, SVX, GMC Sierra
      04-21-2017 03:00 AM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by Dawg Dee-Lux View Post
      I am going to believe my own lying eyes on this one.
      Over one of the bigger VW nut swingers on this site? Risky
      Instagram: calederoo

#FREEPATRIKMAN

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-21-2017 08:16 AM #58
      Quote Originally Posted by Numbersix View Post
      He's actually not wrong; it's not that it feels cheap (I can live with that) it feels really flimsy--like you might break the height adjuster by pushing down on it. (In fact, I thought I might be breaking it the first time I used it.)
      That's a fair criticism, snark rescinded.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

Vehicles
      '13 Subaru Outback
      04-21-2017 08:23 AM #59
      Dude! No. It is not. Not in any imaginable interpretation of the measurements or even just looking at the goddamn thing is this anywhere close to true, or even a subjectively valid impression. Your Mini had 31.3in of rear legroom, the Bolt has 36.5. Shoulder room, 44.7 vs. 52.8. The Bolt has 50 inches of hip room, nothing published for the Mini but considering that its rear track was 57 inches, I doubt it was anywhere close to 50. Every single review of the Bolt has praised its rear legroom and 5-up accomodations. Stop making **** up to justify the e-Golf.
      IPRO Meat-Director and High Minister of Terror-Grilling and

Quote Originally Posted by caj1 View Post
      the magniloquent messiah of the butthurt former VW owners.

10. Senior Member
      Vehicles
      KAR 120C
      04-21-2017 09:46 AM #60

The new eGolf just doesn't have anywhere close to the same usable range, unfortunately. We waited until the 2018 was announced, but -100mi+ of range makes it much less practical. We wouldn't have been able to do the trip we took in the eGolf without a lengthy charging stop.

And the Bolt is quite comfortable for 4 adults; I'd imagine 5 is pushing it. It has far better rear cabin accomodations than my Mk7 GTI, so I can't see how you think it has *less* rear passenger space than an R53 Mini.

For many people, i think the Volt is a terrific package--especially with sub-$300 lease deals on LT models.

Our car was well, well under $50k OTD. Wouldn't have even been a consideration at that price; we would have waited for the Model 3. (For which we still have 2 reservations, btw, in case anyone on the West Coast is itching to get one early...)
      Last edited by Numbersix; 04-21-2017 at 09:48 AM.

11. 04-21-2017 10:10 AM #61
      Like ~125 means nothing.

I'm a fan of the Golf, but c'mon. That's night and frickin' day.

I'm sure my next vehicle will be electric, 2020 will probably have some interesting options, and possibly 2nd generation developments in cell-tech trickling into consumers' hands.
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

12. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      04-21-2017 11:53 AM #62
      Congrats on the Bolt and don't forget to sign the EV registry. http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthrea...light=registry

Of course we're getting into springtime now, but I'll be very interested to see what kind of range penalty there is for the Bolt in winter. The Focus loses about 25 miles in slightly below freezing temps. Will the Bolt also lose about that many miles, or will it be a similar percentage (~35%) instead?

13. 04-21-2017 12:25 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      If the shifter is in L, pulling it back is supposed to toggle it back to D.
      tried it last night, works! thanks!

14. 04-21-2017 12:29 PM #64
      Quote Originally Posted by QWKDTSN View Post
      $50k????????????
      That was my thought too. Test drove one. There's a lot better and a lot cooler cars in that bracket.
      I should clarify (and kinda forgot about this tidbit too...that price also includes an extended warranty from the dealer as well).

So it was something like $42-$43K for the MSRP on the car, $2500 or whatever it was for the extended warranty, then sales tax (I forget what we are but it's somewhere around 8-9% here so that pushes you just past $49K) and a few hundred in DMV taxes and registration, so yeah it adds up to $50K. But it's not like GM is asking $50K.

15. 04-21-2017 12:31 PM #65
      2018 EGolf, save yourself 15k+ also looks significantly better. You could buy a current one but your range will be less ~125, but the build quality and comfort blow the bolt away.
      Yes but the eGolf, even at the new 125 mile range, is still a compliance car.

16. 04-21-2017 12:33 PM #66
      Quote Originally Posted by tjl View Post
      Highest MSRP with all options including extra cost color is about $44k (US), so you must live in an extremely high tax and license cost state (higher than California) to get to $50k.

This is obviously before the tax rebate and other rebates (if any) from a state or utility company in your area.
      I am in California (San Diego, our sales tax is pretty high too) but I forgot to mention the extended warranty is part of that $50K figure.

17. 04-21-2017 12:44 PM #67
      Agreed--it's a feature I forgot to call out. The front camera makes up for it not having parking sensors up front, too. It's fantastic.
      I wish there were a way to turn it on (is there? I haven't found it yet) w/o having to select reverse first. What if you're just nosing into a spot and you've no need to back up. You have to stop, select reverse, then select drive again to get the front camera on.

I haven't noted the seesawing motion yet, but I do agree you can feel the weight of the big lump of batteries under the rear seat on things like cloverleafs
      C/D found the weight distribution to be 56.3% front, 43.7% rear here (http://media.caranddriver.com/files/...boltev2017.pdf) so I'm a but surprised that the back still feels heavy. But if it's under-damped, I guess even a "lighter in the back" car can make you feel the junk in the trunk easily. Anyway, if I were to change the suspension on this car, it would be to make the back a little stiffer.

Vehicles
      '07 Z4 Coupe (2012-), '86 VW Cabriolet (2009-); '97 Audi A4 1.8tq (2003-12), '85 VW GTI (1995-2003)
      04-21-2017 12:48 PM #68
      Yes but the eGolf, even at the new 125 mile range, is still a compliance car.
      I am in California (San Diego, our sales tax is pretty high too) but I forgot to mention the extended warranty is part of that $50K figure.
      thanks, i'm glad you clarified the $50k number, but what's "a compliance car"?
      Quote Originally Posted by Ryukein, April 4, 2017 View Post
      Well, I was wrong.

19. Member Unilateral Phase Detractor's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2016 Mazda CX-5  2013 Ford Focus Electric
      04-21-2017 01:10 PM #69
      Quote Originally Posted by slirt View Post
      thanks, i'm glad you clarified the $50k number, but what's "a compliance car"?
      A car ostensibly meant to be sold only in small volumes in California. It's a term that's been thrown around at practically everything that isn't a Tesla at one point or another.

20. 04-21-2017 02:03 PM #70
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      A car ostensibly meant to be sold only in small volumes in California. It's a term that's been thrown around at practically everything that isn't a Tesla at one point or another.
      Another way of putting it is "a car that enables us to tick the box that says 'yep, we make and sell an all-electric model'". It doesn't necessarily matter if it's a very functionally effective vehicle in the real world.

04-21-2017 02:49 PM #71
      California has a law on the books which states that if an automaker sells 60,000 or more cars in California in a year, a certain percentage of them must be classified as clean air cars, which can be hydrogen, full electric, or EREV like the Prius Prime or Chevy Volt. All automakers selling over 60,000/year in California must comply, thus automakers who only sell the minimum number of electric cars per year in California are considered makers of only compliance cars. That's always the tip-off: if the car is only sold in California, it's only being sold for legal compliance. Honda's FCV and Fit EV are great examples as purely compliance cars. Toyota's RAV4 EV was the same, as is the case with many others.

22. Senior Member
      04-21-2017 02:55 PM #72
      Quote Originally Posted by Unilateral Phase Detractor View Post
      Of course we're getting into springtime now, but I'll be very interested to see what kind of range penalty there is for the Bolt in winter. The Focus loses about 25 miles in slightly below freezing temps. Will the Bolt also lose about that many miles, or will it be a similar percentage (~35%) instead?
      Probably the amount lost depends on whether you use the heater or are fine with the heated seats.

23. Senior Member
      04-21-2017 03:03 PM #73
      I wish there were a way to turn it on (is there? I haven't found it yet) w/o having to select reverse first. What if you're just nosing into a spot and you've no need to back up. You have to stop, select reverse, then select drive again to get the front camera on.
      From this screen:

Press the "button" in the upper left with the four dots, then press the camera "button".

Vehicles
      '17 Scat Pack Manuel / '01 Camaro SS Manuel
      04-21-2017 04:16 PM #74

The big question: What about range? Is 238mi realistic? Well, we took it to Vancouver BC a couple of weekends ago, which is ~145mi from our house. On the drive up, we didn't use a lot of HVAC (nice day) and didn't hit any bad wind or weather. Even with a 30min wait at the border crossing, we arrived in Vancouver with 80mi range left; not bad given we were doing 70+ most of the way up with a bit of stop and go. On the way home, we had a stiff headwind, rain, were using HVAC/seat heaters/wipers/radio/lights, and doing 75+mph most of the way as we were a bit pressed for time. We also hit nasty stop and go traffic twice. We arrived home with just over 35mi of range left. That's without a charging stop up or back (but charging overnight at the hotel).
      So you charged 2/3 of the battery in an ~8? hour hotel stay? That seems impressive. My Volt has like a 16kwh battery and takes a good 8 hours to charge from flat. Seeing as your battery is 3 times the size. I would have thought it would take double the charge time to fill 2/3 of it back up. Either way, that is good news. Able to put roughly 160 miles of range into the battery over night.

25. Senior Member
      04-21-2017 04:45 PM #75
      Quote Originally Posted by Power5 View Post
      So you charged 2/3 of the battery in an ~8? hour hotel stay? That seems impressive. My Volt has like a 16kwh battery and takes a good 8 hours to charge from flat. Seeing as your battery is 3 times the size. I would have thought it would take double the charge time to fill 2/3 of it back up. Either way, that is good news. Able to put roughly 160 miles of range into the battery over night.
      Depends on what charging you have. On a 120V 15A outlet, you may get 1 to 1.5 kW, so it will take a long time to charge a Bolt, and a Volt will still take overnight or longer.

But if you have a 240V 40A outlet with a 7 kW EVSE plugged into it, you can charge a Bolt overnight and a Volt in a couple of hours at most.

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast