KilometerMagazine.com - TFSI VL with K04 APR kit, Motor blown with 4000 miles
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 04-20-2017 11:15 PM #1
      Pretty simple. Since day one was having issues and went through the diagnostic proceedure to resolve. Couple days later loud pop and loss of compression cylinder 1.

Needless to say I am doing a complete rebuild and sending my head and block out to determine the cause of the engine failure.

I am not pointing fingers yet but the car has only 40k on the engine and 4000 on the kit.

If I knew K04 could damage my motor I would have never have paid for a kit that would ultimately cost me 4k+ to fix a motor.

The only plus is I do all my own work. Once investigation is done on block and head to determine cause of failure I will post my findings directly from the engine shop in Philadelphia.

On the plus side. Forged and stroked kit coming. 2.2l TFSI VL. Why not.

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk
      Last edited by GMPCompetitionTT; 04-21-2017 at 09:59 AM.

2. 04-21-2017 09:59 AM #2
      Engine is out!

3. 04-22-2017 11:12 PM #3
      So the problem we have here is a pretty broken piston.

4. 04-24-2017 09:13 AM #4
      And didn't APR grenade your DSG a few times too?

5. 04-24-2017 10:11 AM #5
      There really does seem to be a pattern here don't it?

6. 04-24-2017 11:04 AM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by GMPCompetitionTT View Post
      There really does seem to be a pattern here don't it?

Well the ring land failure is common with their tunes. #savetheringlands

7. 04-24-2017 11:13 AM #7
      whoa! man, more problems for you? Sorry bro. good for you for building it back up. I'll be tuning in for updates

8. 04-24-2017 12:58 PM #8
      Well ****. I just purchased this kit and about to put it on. I was all excited and ****

9. 04-24-2017 01:20 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by wkl5532 View Post
      Well ****. I just purchased this kit and about to put it on. I was all excited and ****
      Tried warning you man.

10. 04-24-2017 07:03 PM #10
      Well might aswell make a project out of it. Have some downtime awaiting forged rods and pistons so figured I would start installing the suspension kit from Bilstein!

Last edited by GMPCompetitionTT; 04-24-2017 at 07:31 PM.

11. 04-24-2017 08:07 PM #11
      034 MQB subframe inserts. I know mines an 8J but it shares the MQB rear subframe

Vehicles
      2013 TT-RS, 2017 Golf R, 2012 Golf TDI w/Tech
      04-24-2017 08:22 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by wkl5532 View Post
      You'll be fine with the kit just get someone else to tune it, ie United Motorsports.

13. 04-24-2017 09:03 PM #13
      Quote Originally Posted by Evilevo View Post
      You'll be fine with the kit just get someone else to tune it, ie United Motorsports.
      I second that opinion.

The biggest slap in the face from APR was when they found out my motor was blown after trying to datalog with them. I pulled the turbo and found shaft play, they told me to contact borgwarner for warranty. Not even a year old or 4000 miles on it. such a slap in the face.

Borgwarner laughed since the APR turbo is so modified they said APR would habe to warranty it. So far 3 phone calls and not a single call back.. Just a big slap to the face. $4000 plus in APR equipment to have them blow me off. I am trying to give them a chance to right their wrongs but not a single f$@k is given.

How can a company not even warranty their own products?

Last edited by GMPCompetitionTT; 04-24-2017 at 09:09 PM.

14. 04-24-2017 09:54 PM #14
      You should have the injectors tested since a bad injector can lead to quick failure of the ringlands especially with OEM pistons.
      2012 Audi TT-RS: Stage 2 United Motorsports Tune; lot's of parts from 034 Motorsports inc: carbon fibre intake, engine/trans mounts, RSB, RSB end links, downpipe, and mid-pipe; Borla cat back; H&R Sport springs (for now); Rotiform Forged Mono-block KPS wheels, fully polished 19x9.5 ET50
      Sponsored by Cedar Performance www.cedarperformance.com

15. 04-24-2017 10:07 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by hightechrdn View Post
      You should have the injectors tested since a bad injector can lead to quick failure of the ringlands especially with OEM pistons.
      Trust me I know but all my logs show fuel rail pressure fall slightly car runs lean and misfires.

APR said it was valve float which I believed. I trusted them with a very expensive piece of equipment and ultimately they left me hanging. You can't tell me v1.0 of anything is the best you offer when 8P cars are v2+ already.

I find it hard to believe the first of anything is without flaws.

Last edited by GMPCompetitionTT; 04-25-2017 at 07:43 AM.

16. 04-26-2017 11:40 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by GMPCompetitionTT View Post
      Trust me I know but all my logs show fuel rail pressure fall slightly car runs lean and misfires.

APR said it was valve float which I believed. I trusted them with a very expensive piece of equipment and ultimately they left me hanging. You can't tell me v1.0 of anything is the best you offer when 8P cars are v2+ already.

I find it hard to believe the first of anything is without flaws.

I am not defending APR (nor am I out to get them). Sounds like the gave you some bad advice or an incorrect diagnosis at the very least. APR tunes have blown up more than one engine over the years. I can't say their tune did your piston in but it is certainly possible especially if they told you to keep driving it with the lean condition under heavy load/throttle.

No matter the APR tune, I would still have the injectors tested (or just replace them) to be sure you don't burn up another piston. Personally, I would find another tuning company as well. I can't see how one could have confidence in the current tune at this point.
      2012 Audi TT-RS: Stage 2 United Motorsports Tune; lot's of parts from 034 Motorsports inc: carbon fibre intake, engine/trans mounts, RSB, RSB end links, downpipe, and mid-pipe; Borla cat back; H&R Sport springs (for now); Rotiform Forged Mono-block KPS wheels, fully polished 19x9.5 ET50
      Sponsored by Cedar Performance www.cedarperformance.com

17. 04-26-2017 12:03 PM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by hightechrdn View Post
      I am not defending APR (nor am I out to get them). Sounds like the gave you some bad advice or an incorrect diagnosis at the very least. APR tunes have blown up more than one engine over the years. I can't say their tune did your piston in but it is certainly possible especially if they told you to keep driving it with the lean condition under heavy load/throttle.

No matter the APR tune, I would still have the injectors tested (or just replace them) to be sure you don't burn up another piston. Personally, I would find another tuning company as well. I can't see how one could have confidence in the current tune at this point.
      I wouldn't be as pissed off really if they just warrantied their product. I am not making a huge stink about it with anyone and I just keep getting stone walled.

18. 04-26-2017 08:26 PM #18
      Also not sure if I was clear but the only really thing that is ticking me off is not warranting a turbo with shaft play after 4000 miles or less than 1 year.

I own a shop and I understand the rules when it comes to tuning. Am I pissed about the engine? Sure. Am I throwing all the blame at them? Not at all. Am I being a little too overdramatic about having them warranty a part of theirs while I am rebuilding my engine.
      I really don't think so.

All my parts have a 2 year 24,000 mile warranty at my shop no matter the reason. Labor may not be covered past 6 months but I sure as hell honor my parts.

For advertising information click HERE