KilometerMagazine.com - Off-road expectations?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 04-21-2017 01:25 AM #1
      Curious to hear others' take on this. I'm looking for an SUV that can go off-road (camping, hiking, exploring) and offers a nice comfortable cabin with space for our Great Dane. The third row is a plus for occasional trips with larger groups. I don't expect hardcore off-road performance, but I should I expect this to be close to Touareg ability, or much less?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2012 BMW X5
      04-21-2017 09:16 AM #2
      Unfortunately from all he reviews and the media test drive on Boerne, TX no one has taken it off road yet to any extremes.

Let's face it, all of these SUVs now days are not true off road vehicles. People aren't buying them for that. I would venture to guess It will be in line with the Touaregs, Q7s etc although with a different AWD setup.

It has 8 inches of ground clearance and the ascent and descent angles are published. So you likely will need to make the decision of those numbers fit your needs. From what you describe being a trip for camping or hiking sounds like the Atlas will meet your expectations. Let's face it though the modern cross overs are not Jeeps and not trail rated etc. However it will offer you plenty of space for your gear and passengers.

There's early reviews for snow testing and some videos online. Additionally a google or Instagram search of #vwatlas or #2018 atlas will pull a few posted videos with sound from the Las Vegas test track where the Atlas is put through some obstacles from hill ascents and descents to banked corners. So would venture to say that after seeing the Atlas perform those feats it should satisfy the vast majority of any light off-roading that most family's will ever do for their day to day activitys (or more so their weekend to weekend activities)

3. 04-21-2017 10:55 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by jkopelc View Post
      There's early reviews for snow testing and some videos online. Additionally a google or Instagram search of #vwatlas or #2018 atlas will pull a few posted videos with sound from the Las Vegas test track where the Atlas is put through some obstacles from hill ascents and descents to banked corners. So would venture to say that after seeing the Atlas perform those feats it should satisfy the vast majority of any light off-roading that most family's will ever do for their day to day activitys (or more so their weekend to weekend activities)
      https://youtu.be/VjfuGCVRAIs

Vehicles
      Future Atlas owner
      04-21-2017 11:23 AM #4
      Forest service roads that are gravel, sure. Snow with the right tires, sure. Around here we classify offroads from 1-10 with 1 being paved and 10 being, well, extreme. I'd say you'll be fine up to around 4 with the right choice of path and maybe some body scratches. But really, these are AWD vehicles not 4x4. There is a difference in design. Like skid plates and no plastic bits on places that will hit stuff (bumpers particularly).

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2013 BMW X5 35d, 2011 Tiguan
      04-22-2017 01:23 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Drive by View Post
      Forest service roads that are gravel, sure. Snow with the right tires, sure. Around here we classify offroads from 1-10 with 1 being paved and 10 being, well, extreme. I'd say you'll be fine up to around 4 with the right choice of path and maybe some body scratches. But really, these are AWD vehicles not 4x4. There is a difference in design. Like skid plates and no plastic bits on places that will hit stuff (bumpers particularly).
      It is Haldex, and 5th gen. has 100% torque to the front, and if front starts to slip, it transfers up to 50% to the back. So, on my 2011 Tiguan set up is 90/10. We did bit of off roading if you can call it in Santa Fe NM two years ago. Continental DWS tires. Road was definitely not accessible to cars. It did OK, but you get impression that this is not what vehicle was design for.
      On other hand, we ski twice a week, and Tiguan seriously impressed me there. I grew up in Southern Alps, so drove all my life on snow and snow tires. Tig has 235/50 R18 tires for summer, but in winter I put separate wheels with 215/65 R16 Bridgestone Blizzak WS70 snow tires. It just goes like there is no tomorrow. So trick is IMO tire/wheel set up. If you are venturing out to gravel etc. I think you need to first consider what tires you will have on a car. I had previously VW CC with snow tires, and I would outpace any Subaru with all season tires going up hill, and of course brake much better. So you can have JEEP, Audi torsen, Land Cruiser, but if tires cannot transfer torque, all that is for nothing. I actually had to help guy once on Hoossier pass here in CO to get out of snow in Land Cruiser because his tires were just plain A/S road tires.
      Now, I would say, equip Touareg with same tires like Atlas, and Atlas would not stand a chance. Torsen is just so much better system.
      For example Tiguan goes thru snow much better then my X5 (also on snow tires). But it is due to width of tire. Once I push too much Tiguan off road in snow, it gets stuck fast, and getting out requires some experience unique to snow driving. But BMW, will get out pretty fast, and that is simply because AWD is much more sophisticated then Haldex.
      Bottom line, befor you do anything, make sure you have proper tires for what you doing.
      13' BMW X5 35d
      11' Tiguan SEL 4Motion

For advertising information click HERE