KilometerMagazine.com - Break-in oil after rebuild
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 2016 Chevrolet Traverse, 1982 VW Rabbit
      04-21-2017 06:38 AM #1
      Hi all - just finished rebuilding my ABA for my MK1, and I am looking for advice on a break-in oil.

Head was just refreshed and machined, new rings and main bearings down below. I also honed the bores with a drill.

Thanks in advance!

2. 04-21-2017 08:55 AM #2
      Break in oil is something of the past. Most [if not all] new cars have no break in oil and you just drive them till the next service.

When I first started at the dealership in the 80's, they had an oil service due after 1k miles. Manual and differential fluids were changed too [as long as they were not synthetic].

That said, it's a touchy subject just as breaking in the engine. There are many different ways and everyone believes they are right. So, if it was me, I would just get some cheap oil, run the engine at 3k-4k on the freeway [to seat in the rings] for an hour, then change the oil. Depending on what the use of the engine, I would use a good synthetic oil of your choice.

Vehicles
      2003 Porsche 911 C4S, 2016 Chevrolet Traverse, 1982 VW Rabbit
      04-21-2017 09:30 AM #3
      Thank you! I very much appreciate it.

I was planning on filling with a cheap conventional oil to seat the rings and run the motor in a similar way to what you described. Then dump it and go with the Mobil 1 that I like.

Despite being fairly pedestrian, the motor lives in my track day car. It's very slightly modified for track duty...oil pan baffle, big external oil cooler, header, TT exhaust, TT chip, K&N filter, and no SAI/power steering/AC.

My major concern is getting the rings to become friendly with the bores. Maybe I'll put on soft music while I break it in.

Vehicles
      38 cylinders, 17.5 litres
      04-21-2017 01:28 PM #4
      If not using a specific break-in oil at least do a few hundred miles with a high ZINC content conventional oil such as Rotella T. But as stated you'll get varying opinions on this.
      2016 security breach victim #129,248. Formerly karlorado
      IG @_chip_douglas_

5. 04-22-2017 11:00 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Butcher View Post
      Break in oil is something of the past. Most [if not all] new cars have no break in oil and you just drive them till the next service.

When I first started at the dealership in the 80's, they had an oil service due after 1k miles. Manual and differential fluids were changed too [as long as they were not synthetic].

That said, it's a touchy subject just as breaking in the engine. There are many different ways and everyone believes they are right. So, if it was me, I would just get some cheap oil, run the engine at 3k-4k on the freeway [to seat in the rings] for an hour, then change the oil. Depending on what the use of the engine, I would use a good synthetic oil of your choice.
      To add some controversy, I wouldn't do that.

For advertising information click HERE