KilometerMagazine.com - 2014 Subaru XV Crosstrek Premium - 3 year ownership report
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
      Vehicles
      2014 XV Crosstrek
      04-21-2017 11:47 AM #1
      Coming up on 3 years in the Crosstrek, here's my experience and thoughts on it.

Purchased: May 2014
      Trim/options: Premium (cloth seats), sunroof, base radio (no touchscreen), CVT, rubberized seatback/trunk/bumper protectors, spoiler, roof rack... I think that's it
      Mileage: 40,xxx

Here are my initial thoughts on owning the car: 3 Month Review

Most of this still rings true but I'll try and add additional context/experiences here.

POSITIVE

Dependability & Build Quality: The car has, overall, been rock solid. The big ruckus when the FB20 motor came out was oil consumption, but mine has been tight as a drum, following about a 5k oil change interval. It more or less still looks and drives like new, save for a scrape and ding or two that come with urban areas. The interior is rattle free, cleans up great, no premature wear on anything you touch (or anywhere else for that matter), basically looks and functions like new. The car still feels tight and solid on bad roads. The only intermittent niggle is the driver's side window very occasionally will make a "click" noise as it's raised from the fully down position. This is maybe 1 in 100 times of lowering/raising the window. I can't replicate it at will, window still works, the only thing I can think is that I don't recall it doing it before getting the tint but I also can't see how that would cause it.

Inclement Weather: This car is at home in adverse conditions. The stock Yokohama Geolanders do everything I ask of them for 3 seasons and a set of General Altimax Artics on Sparco Terra's pick up the winter duty. While it's very true that most of the time, even in terrible weather, a properly tired FWD, RWD, or "lesser" AWD (IE Honda, Toyota) would get me to my destination. What I've noticed sets Subaru apart is the confidence in which it gets me there. It's as if the car is driving on a nice spring day no matter what's actually occurring outside. The suspension takes frozen road potholes like a champ, the car takes off, turns, and stops like it's any other day. Yes a lot of this is tires, but having daily'd plenty of different layouts year round, this car is the best I've owned for adverse conditions.

If I had to complain about something here, it'd be the the windshield wipers. They do an adequate job of clearing the windshield, save for a larger-than-I'd-like spot in the lower drivers side of the windshield which when wet will obscure my view of the left front corner of the car which occasionally makes parking in tight spaces tough. Also, I may have been spoiled by rain-sensing wipers in my previous cars, but none of the intermittent settings are ever appropriate. I'm constantly switching between the 3 different intervals, and often just flicking them myself as needed. The rear wiper only has 1 setting and it's way too frequent. Having the rear spoiler may affect this.

Usability: As a single guy this car has more space than I've ever needed. It fits my 174cm skis with the seats down, will swallow a bike (but I put them on the roof anyway), has handled multiple Ikea/furniture runs. I'm actually currently driving around with my snow tires in the back since I need to clear some room at home for them and with my "roadside emergency kit" in there, I still have enough room for my work bag and a weeks worth of groceries, a light Costco run, or the cat carrier if necessary. Were I going on a road or camping trip with another couple I can envision needing to put stuff on the roof, but that's what the rack's for. When I was buying, I wanted hatchback versatility and I got it. I have plenty of room up front (being 5ft8 this isn't exactly impressive), the rear fits a couple normal sized adults comfortably enough though I haven't had anyone ride in the back for longer than maybe an hour or two. Then again 99% of my drives are under an hour.

Forward and sideways visibility is excellent and one of the reasons I ended up in this over competitors. The overall size of the car is about perfect, you have a clear understanding of where the front corners of the car is, and it's shorter than I think it is which makes tight city parking a breeze. The rear window is more than adequate but I can't say rearward visibility is any better than a CX-5, Forester, or whatever else you might cross shop this with. Interior ergonomics are very basic and straightforward, which was another plus for me. I got the base radio because I'm not crazy about flatscreens in cars (though I'm fighting a losing battle here), I like the straightforward buttons, it works like car radios have worked my entire life, and the Bluetooth connectivity has been flawless, though it will not automatically download your contacts so unless you add them in manually, just the phone number shows up on the screen when a call comes in. I haven't bothered to add in my contacts manually. I much prefer a simple, straightforward, easy to use interior over a more visually appealing but less intuitive one, and that's what I got in the Crosstrek.

NEUTRAL

Chassis/Handling/Braking: It's an economy hatchback on stilts. It's competent enough, slightly chuckable, but understeery, grip is limited (tires), basically how you'd expect a lifted Impreza to handle. The brakes are fine, not bad not great. The electric steering is weighted nicely, pretty direct, but completely lifeless. The ride is overall good, it's very occasionally crashy in the rear especially when the hatch is empty, but the car handles our sh*tty roads well, rolls over rough pavement well, and isn't too soft or floaty.

Fuel Consumption: The MPG I get is pretty good, but it's certainly not as advertised, which is why I'm putting it as a neutral trait. Both with and without the roof rack I actually get worse on the highway than in suburban driving, with city driving predictably being the lowest. I average between 27-28 mpg in a 1/4 highway 1/4 city 1/2 suburban mix, but on highway only road trips (where I remove the crossbars) I'm in the 25/26 range. I understand EPA estimates are obtained in very non-real-world situations, but in the real world of 70-80mph, needing to pass/get around truck traffic, crosswinds & elevation changes, it's highway mileage suffers. Honestly more power would probably help the highway mileage since you're not mashing it every time you need to pass or get up to speed.

NEGATIVE

Drivetrain: This should be no suprise, but this is about as uninspired a drivetrain as they come. The car is slow, the CVT is pretty good for a CVT and at this point is basically invisible to me in most of my driving (ie commute in traffic). People have called it "dangerously slow" which I still don't agree with, but it is certainly a dog. Passing on the highway takes a little more consideration than I'm used to. Dipping into the throttle for say a yellow light results in some noise but doesn't translate into much forward momentum. From a stop the car gets up to 30-40mph adequately but runs out of steam. The CVT is definitely tuned to go numerically as low as possible in any situation other than starting from a standstill. I maintain that the CVT is better suited for it than the 5sp, I drove both before buying and the standard didn't do anything other than give your left leg and right hand something to do. I've also read that the 5sp handles the torque split differently so that may have been a factor.

Overall Drive: For as much as it gets right (or maybe gets "not wrong" is more accurate), the car simply isn't very good to drive. A huge portion of this is the drivetrain, and the excellent size/visibilty/ergonomics and adequate chassis simply don't pick up enough slack for me to enjoy driving it. It's boring, uninspiring, uneventful, which is probably why they sell so well. But for anyone with an enthusiast bone in their body, it's not going to satisfy you as your only car.

VERDICT
      Overall, this has been a good car to me, but I'm back in the market for something with more power and more of a fun factor. The Crosstrek does exactly what it's supposed to, and I can't fault it for that. I don't even really fault it's lackluster drivetrain since I knew that going in, and in my day to day driving it's not as much as a negative as much as it's the lack of a positive. The car doesn't make me want to drive it, and while it does most everything well, has been a faultless DD, the octane in my blood simply hasn't been satiated in 3 years and I'm ready for something else. Thankfully my finances are ready for something a bit nicer as well. My shortlist is currently CPO 335, CPO S4, or new Golf R.

Thanks for reading, happy to answer any questions.

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      04-21-2017 01:23 PM #2
      Nice writeup! I was more or less down to this and the HR-V, and obviously I went with the HR-V - the oil consumption reports worried me and I don't need AWD. It's funny how much of your write up can be subbed in for the HR-V, they are very similar cars. Thankfully I can pull about 40mpg on the highway

I will say that the HR-V is actually pretty tossable and can be fun on twisty roads - it handles pretty well in most aspects, but I'm always surprised at how well it takes curves at high speeds.

As expected, the HR-V is quite fun on a curvy mountain road. Turn-in is quick, and although not sports car telepathic, steering does give some feedback. It takes a bit of time for it to start to push, and until that point, it still responds to mid-corner corrections. Rarely did I experience understeer, but that could be attributed to inability of the lackluster 141-hp engine to get it going fast enough to do so—at least heading up the hill. I was practically at wide-open throttle all the way up the mountain to our shooting spot and barely had to touch the brakes.

http://www.motortrend.com/cars/honda...antley-2016-11

I'll probably be in your situation in a year or so... while very boring, the HR-V does everything well and I really can't fault it because it does what I need it to do. Maybe Honda will add a turbo down the line.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Cashmere Beige Metallic V6 Toyota Camry, 2017 Ice Silver Metallic Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
      04-21-2017 01:40 PM #3
      I assume our Outback has the same windshield wiper controls as your Crosstrek. There are 3 detents but you can stop in between each one to find a sweet spot for the wiper speed.

Vehicles
      Burnt Camaro, ATS
      04-21-2017 02:14 PM #4

Thanks for sharing!

Vehicles
      '04 Yukon XL Denali
      04-21-2017 02:28 PM #5
      Thank you, very informative. My Yukon is on its way out, and I like the Crosstrek/Forester.
      2002 Harley Fat Boy, 2004 Yukon XL Denali, 1993 F-250

Vehicles
      2014 XV Crosstrek
      04-21-2017 02:35 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by xo_vw View Post
      I'll probably be in your situation in a year or so... while very boring, the HR-V does everything well and I really can't fault it because it does what I need it to do. Maybe Honda will add a turbo down the line.
      I was secretly waiting for a turbo Crosstrek but I don't think that's gonna happen considering how well the car is selling as is. And even if they introduced one now, I'd probably pass on it just on it just to experience something different. I'm currently doing my best to resist swinging too far the opposite direction into something that's tough to live with, because day-to-day the Crosstrek does what I need perfectly. It's just not the car I want

Quote Originally Posted by bnkrpt311 View Post
      I assume our Outback has the same windshield wiper controls as your Crosstrek. There are 3 detents but you can stop in between each one to find a sweet spot for the wiper speed.
      Sorry I'm confused by this...you mean in between the "clicks" gives you different intermittent settings, so there's more like 6 intermittent settings? (IE the 3 click settings, and 3 inbetween-click settings?) I never thought to even try that.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      2000 Cashmere Beige Metallic V6 Toyota Camry, 2017 Ice Silver Metallic Subaru Outback 2.5i Premium
      04-21-2017 02:51 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by BTM View Post

Sorry I'm confused by this...you mean in between the "clicks" gives you different intermittent settings, so there's more like 6 intermittent settings? (IE the 3 click settings, and 3 inbetween-click settings?) I never thought to even try that.
      The ring that spins and stops in the 3 set locations can be stopped anywhere between the 3 set locations. I was a little disappointed in the lack of variable settings as well and just randomly read about this last week.

Vehicles
      2014 XV Crosstrek
      04-21-2017 02:57 PM #8
      The ring that spins and stops in the 3 set locations can be stopped anywhere between the 3 set locations. I was a little disappointed in the lack of variable settings as well and just randomly read about this last week.

Huh, interesting and good to know...I'll try that next time!

Vehicles
      2016 Honda HR-V
      04-21-2017 03:10 PM #9
      I was secretly waiting for a turbo Crosstrek but I don't think that's gonna happen considering how well the car is selling as is. And even if they introduced one now, I'd probably pass on it just on it just to experience something different. I'm currently doing my best to resist swinging too far the opposite direction into something that's tough to live with, because day-to-day the Crosstrek does what I need perfectly. It's just not the car I want
      Yeah. I think the best "in between" vehicle (a good mix of sportiness plus practicality) is a GTI or Golf R. If I hadn't just gotten out of a VW I probably would've tried to snag a GTI.

Vehicles
      '10 Prius & '05 4Runner
      04-21-2017 03:18 PM #10
      I see a TON of these in my neck of the woods.

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      04-21-2017 03:56 PM #11

Funny, the STI is my second Subaru and I've always wondered with both cars if the intermittent speed actually changed between the actual click detents. Good to to know.

Vehicles
      2014 XV Crosstrek
      04-21-2017 04:32 PM #12
      Ok, was a little skeptical so I just went and played with it and here are my non scientific phone stopwatch results on the intermittent intervals. It's true!

On (ring in highest interval position) = 18s
      Between on & 1st click = 18s
      1st click = 14s
      Between 1 & 2 = 12s
      2nd click = 8.5s
      Between 3 & 4 = 6s
      3rd click = 3.5s

13. Member
      Vehicles
      04-21-2017 04:41 PM #13
      Ok, was a little skeptical so I just went and played with it and here are my non scientific phone stopwatch results on the intermittent intervals. It's true!

1st click = 14s
      Between 1 & 2 = 12s
      2nd click = 8.5s
      Between 3 & 4 = 6s
      3rd click = 3.5s

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      04-21-2017 04:52 PM #14

1st click = 14s
      Between 1 & 2 = 12s
      2nd click = 8.5s
      Between 3 & 4 = 6s
      3rd click = 3.5s

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      04-21-2017 05:50 PM #15
      Subaru really needs to turbo all the things like they used to, a "WRXV" would KILL IT in sales and its basically a straight swap aside from federalization.
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      13' 4-dr GTI
      04-21-2017 07:05 PM #16
      Thanks for sharing. Love these things and have put two co-workers into Crosstrek's. Myself, I cannot get over the powertrain. Like many have said, a WRX powertrain in it would make it a must buy as a all-around superlative DD.

Vehicles
      Never enough boost.
      04-21-2017 07:26 PM #17
      Even a 180 hp - 200 hp 1.6 T would be sweet for this car. OP, I think a CPO S4 would be a sweet deal. They are going to drop in value once the new 3.0 TT becomes more common.

Vehicles
      '17 STI Limited, Ross Edition
      04-21-2017 07:45 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by l88m22vette View Post
      Subaru really needs to turbo all the things like they used to, a "WRXV" would KILL IT in sales and its basically a straight swap aside from federalization.
      After our experience with our first year Crosstrek 5MT (2013?), my wife would love to get another, but only with a severely upgraded powertrain.

Vehicles
      2003 TTq coupe, 2005 Outback XT, 2014 Soul!, 2004 A6 3.0
      04-22-2017 01:31 AM #19
      It's like the kids finally moved out of the house so now its quieter; Mr. Subaru will toss back a whiskey and Viagra on Saturday night now and then, but otherwise its mostly couponing and muddy swap meets.
      Audi TT FAQ --- Maintenance, Misfires, and a XT Spec-B swap --- Great Lakes TCL Registry

Quote Originally Posted by LG6R View Post
      The Lincoln was like floating down a river made of flowing chocolate; the Buick was like riding a drunk horse up a cobblestone hill.

For advertising information click HERE