KilometerMagazine.com - '06 AllRoad questions
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 04-24-2017 08:30 PM #1
      I've been eyeing up S4 and S6 Avants in the '05-'10 range, sub 100k miles for a while just waiting. Every now and then an Allroad pops into my sight. I'd love to hear what people think of those with the V8 (think it's a 300HP 4.2) vs the S4 and S6 V8s.
      Can I still chip/program them?
      Do they have the same chain issue? Assuming that's a yes for the time being.
      What are your thoughts on the S4 avant vs an All road 4.2 V8? I'm not looking for the fastest beast on teh road, but something fun to drive that gets me and the kids around in the snow.

Help Vortex! Long time VW owner (8 of them) thinking it's time for a step up!?!

Thanks,
      DizzyG

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2016 VW GolF R, 2004 Audi allroad 4.2
      05-12-2017 10:11 AM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by DizzyG123 View Post
      I've been eyeing up S4 and S6 Avants in the '05-'10 range, sub 100k miles for a while just waiting. Every now and then an Allroad pops into my sight. I'd love to hear what people think of those with the V8 (think it's a 300HP 4.2) vs the S4 and S6 V8s.
      I have an '04 allroad 4.2 ('05 was the last year for C5 allroads), and have friends with a B6 S4 and C5 S6 and have driven both plus a B7 S4.

Can I still chip/program them?
      Yes, you will see the most gain on an allroad 4.2 as it is basically a detuned S4 engine. I have an APR tune and while it did something, it doesn't feel like 50 hp to me.

Do they have the same chain issue? Assuming that's a yes for the time being.
      Yes allroad 4.2 and B6/B7 S4 are all timing chain engines with the potential for issues. There are plenty of people that have not had issues, but the ones that have are more outspoken. My car has 126k miles and other than 1-2 sec of chain rattle on cold start and some oil leaks has been mostly solid. The C5 S6 V8 is an older style timing belt engine.

What are your thoughts on the S4 avant vs an All road 4.2 V8? I'm not looking for the fastest beast on the road, but something fun to drive that gets me and the kids around in the snow.
      If fun to drive is a priority, the S4 (and even S6) is in a different league than the allroad. The allroad isn't terrible to drive, but the suspension is a compromise and while comfortable, is wallowy and vague compared to the S4/S6. The allroad is quite a bit bigger and heavier than an S4 avant as well.

I also have a mk7 Golf R and going between it and the allroad makes the allroad feel like a pickup truck in comparison. At this point, that is basically what I use my allroad for anyway, but am considering selling it due to lack of use.

For advertising information click HERE