KilometerMagazine.com - The 2017 TV Show Cancellation Thread
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      '94 Miata - '05 4Runner - '10 Prius
      05-12-2017 09:08 AM #1
      From EW...

Broadcast networks are doing their annual “re-accommodating” of under-performing shows, canceling dozens of series. Here are all the axed shows from the past couple weeks, along with how long they lasted, their ratings, and some insight into why each got canned.
      NBC

Timeless (NBC)
      Seasons: 1
      Ratings: 8 million viewers; 2.1 demo
      Arguably the cancellation which prompted the most distress from fans online — and the most hope of landing somewhere else. We’re hearing the odds of the time-travel drama being rescued by another network are slim-to-none, unfortunately.

Emerald City (NBC)
      Ratings: 4.7 million viewers; 1.3 demo
      The oft-delayed fantasy tried to mix the Land of Oz with some Game of Thrones vibes, but even a wizard couldn’t save it.

Powerless (NBC)
      Ratings: 2.9 million viewers; 1.0 demo
      DC Comics went for a superhero-themed series that was a comedy (instead of a drama) and about ordinary people (instead of superheroes). So… yeah.
      FOX

APB (Fox)
      Rating: 5.1 million viewers; 1.2 demo
      With that ultra generic title and lack of star names, this cop drama had a very tough time getting buzz.

Making History (Fox)
      Ratings: 1.8 million viewers; 0.8 demo
      Time-travel shows were one of the clearest trends of the 2016-17 season, but all three met the same fate, including this comedy (the third was ABC’s Time After Time, canceled earlier this year).

Pitch (Fox)
      Ratings: 4.7 million; 1.4 in demo
      There was once a faint glimmer of hope for this well-regarded drama coming back in the fall, but it struck out anyway.

Rosewood (Fox)
      Seasons: 2
      Ratings: 4.3 million viewers; 1.0 demo
      Struggled to stay aloft as well as its forensic crime drama predecessor Bones. Managed a renewal last season, but not this year.

Sleepy Hollow (Fox)
      Seasons: 4
      Ratings: 3.3 million viewers; 0.9 demo
      If a drama survives its first couple seasons, it’s typically got a good shot a lasting a few more. But Sleepy Hollow struggled to find a stable groove — starting strong, then undergoing creative overhauls as ratings kept falling. This year’s numbers gave Fox little choice.

Son of Zorn (Fox)
      Ratings: 3.2 million viewers; 1.4 in demo
      Ratings were the same for this live action/animation hybrid as the renewed Last Man on Earth — but without the critical accolades, which made all the difference.
      ABC

American Crime (ABC)
      Seasons: 3
      Ratings: 3.2 million viewers; 0.7 demo
      By the numbers, this was a no-brainer — this is well below the line for a broadcast drama series. But American Crime was a tough call due to all those Emmy nominations, it’s the type of recognition broadcast networks struggle to get nowadays. Ultimately, the numbers were just too low.

The Catch (ABC)
      Ratings: 4.6 million viewers; 1.0 rating
      It’s not every day ABC cancels a Shonda Rhimes drama, but The Catch never gelled with viewers despite a creative overhaul to become more of a rom-com.

Dr. Ken (ABC)
      Ratings: 5.1 million viewers, 1.1
      Given that Dr. Ken and Last Man Standing were both axed, we suspect ABC has something entirely different planned for that tough Friday night slot leading into Shark Tank next season.

Imaginary Mary (ABC)
      Ratings 3.6 million viewers; 1.0
      We’re pretty sure this was a real show.

Last Man Standing (ABC)
      Seasons: 6
      Ratings: 8.1 million; 1.6 demo
      One of the few veteran shows on a list full of freshman titles, Tim Allen’s comedy has been a bubble show for years, keeping under the radar by filling a tough slot on Friday nights. It’s luck finally ran out.

The Real O’Neals (ABC)
      Ratings: 3.7 million viewers; 1.2 rating
      Unofficially dead for a while now.
      The CW

Frequency (The CW)
      Ratings: 1.5 million viewers; 0.4 demo
      Maybe star Peyton List’s CBS drama pilot, Mission Control, will get picked up to series?

No Tomorrow (The CW)
      Ratings: 1 million viewers; 0.3 demo
      As the lowest-rated show on this list, it never stood a chance.

What about the rest of the at-risk bubble shows? Our Deathwatch predictions have you covered. There you’ll find the rundown of all 53 bubble shows, their current status and prediction for their fate.

Expect more series orders, renewals, and cancellations today as networks prepare for a final surge before their upfront presentations next week.
      I really liked Timeless and The Real O'Neals. Making History and Powerless had some funny moments and good casting but ultimately they didn't deliver much.
      Last edited by Sporin; 05-12-2017 at 09:11 AM.

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      05-12-2017 09:12 AM #2
      I liked Making History. It was dumb as dirt, but I like dumb sometimes. I laughed a lot.

I like Adam Pally. He was the best part of Mindy and Happy Endings.

Vehicles
      05-12-2017 09:14 AM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post
      I liked Making History. It was dumb as dirt, but I like dumb sometimes. I laughed a lot.

I like Adam Pally. He was the best part of Mindy and Happy Endings.
      Adam Pally, for sure, needs a great, long lasting show. Happy Endings was GREAT, it's a real shame it didn't last.

Vehicles
      Wagon Queen Family Truckster (not the blue sport wagon)
      05-12-2017 09:19 AM #4
      I can honestly say I haven't seen one of these shows.

Not being an "everything sucks" hipster wannabe, I just don't watch much (big 4) network TV beyond sports & some local news.

NetFlix, Amazon Prime & AMC have most of what I enjoy watching

Vehicles
      #fakerich Honda
      05-12-2017 09:35 AM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Sporin View Post
      Adam Pally, for sure, needs a great, long lasting show. Happy Endings was GREAT, it's a real shame it didn't last.
      He really does need something. He was the only reason I watched Mindy. He left and it got unbearable.

Happy Endings was so good. I discovered it after it was off the air so I binge watched the entire series in about 2 weeks.

I'd like to see him get something on Netflix or Amazon where straight ratings don't matter as much.

Vehicles
      05-13-2017 06:33 PM #6

Vehicles
      05-13-2017 06:56 PM #7
      The Great Indoors
      2 Broke Girls

Both cancelled.

05-14-2017 06:45 AM #8
      Not surprised 2 Broke Girls got cancelled. I'm a fan but it has ran its course.

Big fan of Making History. Good silly fun. But I instantly knew it was going to be cancelled. It is Fox after all

And sad to see American Crime go Holy hell the third season was depressing Seriously, I really needed to be cheered up after each episode. Damn, a total bummer.

05-14-2017 06:50 AM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by pwm View Post

Happy Endings was so good. I discovered it after it was off the air so I binge watched the entire series in about 2 weeks.
      I almost burst a blood vessel or something during this scene

"LLLLOOOOOOSER!!!!!!"

05-14-2017 03:16 PM #10
      I think the folks behind Dr. Ken purposely ended the show judging by the final episode of the 2nd season. Won't be surprised if Ken Jeong wanted to do more movies.

05-15-2017 09:49 AM #11
      That's cool I kinda enjoyed this one.

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-15-2017 01:53 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by mx5er View Post
      I think the folks behind Dr. Ken purposely ended the show judging by the final episode of the 2nd season. Won't be surprised if Ken Jeong wanted to do more movies.
      I tried watching Dr. Ken but it was absolutely horrible. As for Last Man Standing, if you search a bit you'll find stories that it was cancelled only due to it's conservative bent. IMHO, it's because ABC couldn't justify paying Tim Allen $250K an episode for a bubble show.

05-15-2017 08:30 PM #13
      What in the world is a bubble show?! Someone educate me. Thx

05-15-2017 09:42 PM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by RENOG View Post
      What in the world is a bubble show?! Someone educate me. Thx
      I think the term "bubble" is used for anything that can go in one direction or another. Teetering. So if used in the context of TV show renewal or cancellation, a TV show on the bubble is in danger of being cancelled or renewed.

05-15-2017 09:44 PM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by robr2 View Post
      I tried watching Dr. Ken but it was absolutely horrible. As for Last Man Standing, if you search a bit you'll find stories that it was cancelled only due to it's conservative bent. IMHO, it's because ABC couldn't justify paying Tim Allen $250K an episode for a bubble show.
      I'm curious as to what ABC is going to do with that time slot. Historically it's been sitcoms right? Will ABC just replace them with another pair of sitcoms? Or a reality show?

Vehicles
      9.5 Brannock
      05-15-2017 11:22 PM #16
      American Crime was easily the best drama on network TV. Bummer.

17. Member Frank@AntwerpenPerformance's Avatar
      Vehicles
      13 mb c300, 07 tundra, 03 24v gli, 89 e30
      05-19-2017 07:22 AM #17
      Last Man Standing was not cancelled due to bad ratings..... and that was the only good show on that list, no reason why a tv show that makes it 6 seasons is just cancelled unless its for reasons other than bad ratings.
      class steppin'

Vehicles
      05-19-2017 07:54 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank@AntwerpenPerformance View Post
      Last Man Standing was not cancelled due to bad ratings..... and that was the only good show on that list, no reason why a tv show that makes it 6 seasons is just cancelled unless its for reasons other than bad ratings.
      It was cancelled because ABC's contract with Sony, who makes it, was up and ABC didn't want to pay the exorbitant price for it (much of which is Tim Allen's high salary).

Or are you one of those who thinks it's a liberal plot against a conservative biased tv show?

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-19-2017 09:57 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by Frank@AntwerpenPerformance View Post
      True - ratings alone wasn't the reason for the cancellation. There are many factors that go into the decision. As noted, it's a 6 YO show whose costs are rising. It's not owned by Disney/ABC so they are not making anything on syndication. It's ad rate is only $76K per 30 second ad. The show they are moving to that slot is Once Upon A Time - it's Disney owned and the ad rate is $160K per 30 second ad.

Was it a "conservative show?" IMHO, hardly. Tim Allen might have a few quips but it's far from cry from what some folks are claiming.

It's being shopped to other networks. Heck, 20th Century Fox has it's own network - that's a place to start.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-19-2017 08:00 PM #20
      RE: Last Man Standing

ABC is changing Friday nights to be a non-comedy night, and LMS couldn't fit somewhere else on the schedule w/o difficulty. As a show with little financial reward, ABC could try and move it to a different time slot, hope it does better (which most shows don't fare well when they get juggled in time slots), or just let it go and not pay the increasing that would naturally come with a show that lasted 6 seasons.

What's really bad with entertainment these days is Netflix is paying lots of money to produce shows, but I don't see them bringing in good "new" movies. It seems they have a deal with Disney, but new movies that are decent are few and far between.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      06-03-2017 01:10 PM #21
      Sense8 got cancelled.

Vehicles
      '09 Fiat Bravo, '05 Honda S2000
      06-08-2017 02:54 PM #22
      The Great Indoors
      2 Broke Girls

Both cancelled.
      The Great Indoors started rough, but it started to get good near the end, imho. Sad...

not really tho
      Quote Originally Posted by alleghenyman
      Let's just say I like my women like I like my cars - fast, cheap, kinda ugly and beaten up, unreliable, dangerous, unwanted....
      4 coilpacks, 2 gearboxes and counting...

For advertising information click HERE