KilometerMagazine.com - Illinois Gun Dealer Licensing & Springfield & Rock River Issues
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-16-2017 04:06 PM #1
      Dunno if anyone is paying attention to Illinois, but this just happened: http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/201...use-committee/

Cliff notes:
      Springfield Armory and Rock River Arms funds the Illinois Firearm Manufacturers Association - or did until recently. It was a lobbying organization, run by SA & RRA pretty much exclusively. No other arms mfg has said they paid into the IFMA.

The IFMA worked with IL legislators to have a carve out for IL gun mfgs in a horrible anti-gun bill. In exchange, the IFMA wouldn't oppose the bill.

The bill establishes a gun dealer registration/licensing "scheme" where dealers pay between $5,000-$10,000/year to sell guns in IL. This is in addition to the FFL requirements, which is a couple hundred bucks for basic stuff. The bill also includes such measures as: limiting the number of guns you can transfer per year (9); and banning private sales- all sales go through a dealer.

The bill is now out of the house committee in IL and will go to the house floor.

When news about the IFMA actions broke, there was a big backlash against SA and RRA. At first SA issued a "We trust our lobbyist, and will get down to it" statement, then a few days later both SA and RRA issued "OMG! We didn't know he was doing that!!!" and they cut ties with IFMA and now opposed the bill.

RRA rep on a gun radio show blamed a small, gun-rights-extremist blog for pulling things out of context and creating fake news.

So because of SA and RRA, many people and dealers are boycotting the companies. Knowing now that they really don't stand up for the 2A.

For me, I'm on the anti-SA side right now, which is a bummer, since I was looking at purchasing 2 SA firearms (I already have 2 others).
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

Vehicles
      13' 500 Abarth
      05-16-2017 10:16 PM #2
      Saw this a couple weeks ago. Not that I ever planned on getting anything from RRA or SA but they've been added to Troy and Ruger on my Do Not Purchase list.
      Build model cars? Race RC cars? Check out Central Ohio's best hobby shop

3. 05-17-2017 04:32 PM #3
      Well that sounds skeezy as hell. Add them to the list of manufacturers I shant support (good thing too, since I'm selling off my last SA handgun).

PS: RIP to the gun stores in Illinois.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-17-2017 05:45 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Elbows View Post
      Well that sounds skeezy as hell. Add them to the list of manufacturers I shant support (good thing too, since I'm selling off my last SA handgun).

PS: RIP to the gun stores in Illinois.
      SA has been pretty vocal about owning up to the mistake and fighting this bill. But there's been a lot of damage. Apparently the lobbying group also donated money to anti-gun candidates in the past. Rumor mill is saying that TTAG and the lobbyist are going to be sued (likely for different things) which is pretty dumb, if you ask me.

But I'm working through the bill (not IL resident, so not concerned with the particulars) and these are the idiot parts of the bill:

Section 10. License requirement.
      (a)It is unlawful for a person to engage in the business of selling, leasing, or otherwise transferring firearms without a license under this Act. A dealership agent other than a dealer licensee-in-charge may act on behalf of the licensed dealership under Section 75 without being licensed as a dealer under this Act.
      Exemption to the licensing requirements:
      (1) Transfers of less than 10 firearms within each calendar year

And of course, transfers among family members, at the range/instruction, non-operating firearms, or "buy-back" programs, etc.

Oh, goody. If you use a cloud-based surveillance system, they can pull your license.
      (d)If a licensee operates the business at a permanent physical locationthat is open to the public, that location shall be equipped with avideo surveillance system sufficient to monitor the critical areas ofthe business premises, including, but not limited to, all placeswhere firearms are stored, handled, sold, transferred, or carried.The video surveillance system shall operate without interruptionwhenever the licensee is open for business. Whenever the licensee isnot open for business, the system shall be triggered by a motiondetector and begin recording immediately upon upon detection of anymotion within the monitored area. The stored images shall bemaintained on the business premises of the licensee for a period ofnot less than 90 days from the date of recording and shall only beavailable for inspection on the premises by the licensee, thelicensee's dealership agents, the Department, or federal, State, andlocal law enforcement upon request, and neither the stored images,copies, records, or reproductions of the stored images shall leavethe custody of the licensee except under a court order, subpoena, orsearch warrant.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Or some other government-sponsored illegal wiretapping app
      I find your answer vague and unconvincing.
      @mbull | instagram

Vehicles
      ATS-v | All Track CEL
      05-18-2017 09:52 PM #5
      **** them both

Vehicles
      MkVII GSW
      05-19-2017 12:57 AM #6
      RRA was my first AR years ago... glad I sold it.

Never had anything from SA. An M1A would have been cool, but there are other .308s that I'd rather have.

Screw both of them, I hope they burn.

For advertising information click HERE