KilometerMagazine.com - Private party used car sales negotiation tactics?
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
      Vehicles
      '86 Interceptor 700, '82 Quantum Coupe, Hyundai Elantra GT Daily
      05-19-2017 04:27 PM #51
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      As long as you're realistic about it and don't act as if the asking price is meant for brand new car in perfect condition. When I price a car for sale, that price accounts for the things that are wrong with the car. So usually when someone tries to start subtracting for everything wrong with the car, I let them know that's already factored into the price, which is why a perfect condition example is X,000 more than I'm asking. Depending on the kind of car being sold, it's usually easier to let people like you walk and wait for some excited kid to come buy it.
      I'm in the process of selling what is essentially a flawless, if highish mileage (14k/year average), commuter econobox. I'm pricing on the high end of NADA expected retail because of recent service items (5k fresh tires, filters, oil change) and a couple added extras.

I'm only selling private party because the trade in offer was just over half the list prices for similar cars in the area. Yeah, I'm not leaving five grand on the table on a trade-in.

All of which I feel is fair, especially since I'm not fully attached to the listed price. I'd knock a big chunk off for a serious, no hassles buyer.
      Last edited by turbinepowered; 05-19-2017 at 04:34 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by zukiphile View Post
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

2. 05-19-2017 04:40 PM #52
      You're selling your vehicle private party but are expecting ful retail pricing because the oil has been changed and you put tires on it 6 months ago?
      We've revamped our website - please check it out! www.chirostandard.com

3. Member
      Vehicles
      Fancy Accord, Covered Wagon, Family Truckster
      05-19-2017 04:51 PM #53
      If it's a fairly common car (lots of inventory/competition) you just throw a lot of darts. Have financing/cash lined up and ready to go. The fewer hoops the seller has to jump through, the more willing they will be to accept your offer. I can't count how many "your price plus $X, but I only have half right now," offers I've passed up over the years. Now, If it's a one of a kind car, you just have to decide what it's worth to you. My BMW was a rare spec car (manual, sport, not black/white/silver, low miles, well sorted, OEM+ parts) so I brushed off the lowball offers and waited for a buyer that was willing to give me close to my asking price. It worked.

When buying, I wanted a unicorn, so I cast a really wide net, and when I found the car for me, I jumped on it. Full asking. The seller was more than reasonable with the pricing though, so more than anything I wanted to lock it down. I offered to come pick up the car, meet him wherever and whenever, and let him pick the payment method. I'm sure my attitude helped me get the sale over whatever other clowns were kicking his door down.

Vehicles
      Cult Cars.
      05-19-2017 05:00 PM #54
      Above all, my best tactic is to be nice and genuine with people.

Whether you are a seller or a buyer being nice costs nothing and usually entices people to close deals faster.

I listed my MR2 for sale a few months ago and had a dad/son dynamic duo show up. Spent over an hour with the car. They absolutely loved it.
      Son was the nicest guy ready to hand over the cash, dad was coming off as a slimy pimp from Atlantic City. His attitude and snide remarks about "indians living in my neighborhood" made me stone wall all his offers and they left. If dad wasn't acting like that I would have taken one of their ever increasing offers.
      Last edited by EuroAtomic; 05-19-2017 at 05:03 PM.

5. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 05:02 PM #55
      Quote Originally Posted by EuroAtomic View Post

Whether you are a seller or a buyer being nice costs nothing and usually entices people to close deals faster.

I listed my MR2 for sale a few months ago and had a dad/son dynamic duo show up. Spent over an hour with the car. They absolutely loved it.
      Son was the nicest guy ready to hand over the cash, dad was coming off as a slimy pimp from Atlantic City. His attitude made pretty much stone wall all his offers and they left. If dad wasn't acting like that I would probably take one of their ever increasing offers.
      Amen to this. It's how I made my name selling cars.
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

Vehicles
      05-19-2017 05:06 PM #56
      Quote Originally Posted by Chiropractor JW View Post
      You're selling your vehicle private party but are expecting ful retail pricing because the oil has been changed and you put tires on it 6 months ago?
      Not brand new car retail, that would be stupid.

I was referring to the "private party/retail value" numbers you'll get from folks like NADA or KBB in addition to the trade in values. Not exceeding that range, either.
      There is an area of a normal brain that lets the owner know the object works and needs to be left alone. Not all of us have it. It is like being colorblind.

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-19-2017 05:44 PM #57
      Quote Originally Posted by EuroAtomic View Post
      Certainly. I would hear every last lowball half-my-asking-price offer if they were made in-person by a smiling face. I'd probably decline them, but it wouldn't be the end of the discussion.

Heck, I bought a 535is yesterday for about 40% less than asking just because I would hear the seller talk about how much he liked the car. How much he liked commuting in it, that time he spilled chemicals in the interior, how much nicer the paint used to be, whatever happened to the front air dam and bumper, that time the heater core started leaking, how damn expensive driveshaft replacement can be, and so on for a while.

Come to think of it, I guess he did all the negotiating downward.
      call it potatography

Vehicles
      Q50 RS400, '05 Lexus GX470, '98 F150 redneck mobile
      05-19-2017 08:15 PM #58
      The guy I know that does this would be tickled his tactics are causing such raucous​ on here.

Let's flip this the other way around- how many of you as sellers have told buyer's you have multiple people interested in the cars or "I already have another offer that's higher" as a negotiation tactic? Is that unethical?

Plenty of people do this, and I'm pretty sure they're not always telling the truth.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      05-19-2017 09:39 PM #59
      Quote Originally Posted by jepva View Post
      Let's flip this the other way around- how many of you as sellers have told buyer's you have multiple people interested in the cars or "I already have another offer that's higher" as a negotiation tactic? Is that unethical?

Plenty of people do this, and I'm pretty sure they're not always telling the truth.
      As I already covered, yep. Same hazy ethical area, you're lying to exert influence.

10. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 10:02 PM #60
      This thread TL: DR: Everybody lies. Moral ambiguity aplenty. Welcome to why sales people hate the general public. Your tactics are trite, obvious, and your social IQ sucks. People here complaining about Craigslist or private party tactics fail to realize that's everyday in the life of someone in sales.

Salesmen suck, buyers suck, everyone sucks.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      05-19-2017 10:12 PM #61
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      This thread TL: DR: Everybody lies. Moral ambiguity aplenty. Welcome to why sales people hate the general public. Your tactics are trite, obvious, and your social IQ sucks. People here complaining about Craigslist or private party tactics fail to realize that's everyday in the life of someone in sales.
      Who cares what car salesmen think about the general public? Not like they have a stellar reputation themselves.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

12. 05-19-2017 10:28 PM #62
      Funny so many people use cash as a negotiation tactic.

I own a dealer and usually ignore those, when someone messages me "$9000 CASH BRO" for a car selling for $12k, I ignore it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 10:35 PM #63
      Quote Originally Posted by Triumph View Post
      Who cares what car salesmen think about the general public? Not like they have a stellar reputation themselves.
      Note how I didn't get specific and say "car salesmen?" Salesmen who work in any industry can't stand this same isht. Don't care if it's B2C, B2B, etc. If you sell **** for a living, this thread should crack you up.

The only reasonable person has been numbersix.

14. 05-19-2017 10:40 PM #64
      With private sales,even if i'm in love with the car, I don't make an offer in person - if it sells, it sells.

i'll call or email the seller a few days later with an offer; I was serious enough to make a visit, and with the weight of that, a fair offer holds more weight.

It also helps against impulse buys
      --
      2016 Discount Brand S3
      1987 Peugeot PB-18 – Manual Power
      1986 Mid-Engine Supercar

Vehicles
      the kidney people wouldn't take it
      05-19-2017 11:37 PM #65
      ahem
      call it potatography

16. Member
      05-20-2017 01:27 AM #66

Well **** you too, then.
      I drive a car.

Vehicles
      E24 project car hell, something broken with a turbo.
      05-20-2017 01:41 AM #67
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      Not everything has to be a moral dilemma... the world is not as black and white as you want to make it seem. Just because someone doesn't act like a role model doesn't mean they're being unethical. Just because someone does something stupid doesn't mean they're being unethical.

And if you really and truly expect everyone you every deal with to be 100% completely honest in every transaction you ever do for the rest of your life, then you are very naive.
      Ethics- In this case, deliberately creating false identities to generate a false communications trail is clearly unethical, as it violates the principles of clear communication and it constitutes deception. In the legal field friending someone under false pretenses to obtain evidence is unethical under ABA PA 2014-300 for this reason.

Morals are your view of right or wrong. If you think all is fair in a negotiation then this is not immoral behavior. If you think this behavior violates a transparency requirement then it is immoral. There is no question that it is unethical.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington P Funk View Post
      Simpleton? I think you've both got me mixed up with someone else.

18. 05-20-2017 08:29 AM #68

Salesmen suck, buyers suck, everyone sucks.
      I think this is enormously true. I'm no expert barterer or negotiator. In order to be one your social IQ has to be, as Brendan pointed out, very high. I don't try to come up with a bunch of tactics to get a vehicle. My ideas would probably be junk. If it's priced beyond what I think it's worth, but is close, a polite offer with an explanation of my thinking. If it's well beyond what I think it's worth, I just scroll past it.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      '01 S2K, '12 TSX, '14 GTI
      05-20-2017 09:58 AM #69
      When I sell anything locally, and people email asking "will you take $xxx?", my response is always "You don't get to negotiate unless you're standing in front of me with cash". And I practice the same tactic. If I want something my first job is to get in front of the seller with money. End of story. When you deal like this it makes the dreamers and time wasters disappear. And I always find that sellers appreciate people that keep it simple, and you can often get a discount just for not wasting their time.
      Expose your cracks and love will fill them.

20. Junior Member Cradle2theDave's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI(APR Stg.ll) 2015 Nissan Altima(Wifey's)
      05-20-2017 10:13 AM #70
      When you deal with people who have this attitude towards you every single day(regardless of how you conduct yourself), it's easy to become a little jaded.

Any successful salesperson in the current marketplace is probably a pretty stand-up person TBH.
      Previous Transportation: 03 Grand Am / 02 Tahoe LT / 09 Husqvarna SM610R / 05 Volvo S60 T5

Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      05-20-2017 01:18 PM #71
      Quote Originally Posted by Cradle2theDave View Post
      When you deal with people who have this attitude towards you every single day(regardless of how you conduct yourself), it's easy to become a little jaded.

Any successful salesperson in the current marketplace is probably a pretty stand-up person TBH.
      Well what I mean is, when you are riddled with spite for people who are the very reason for your existence, there's really no excuse for you to be in that job. Unless you get a certain thrill out of feeling hatred for your customer, there's really no one to blame. Or the money is so good that you have nothing to complain about.

If my job was growing plants and all I talked about was how stupid the plants were and how much I hated them and how much smarter I was than them, wouldn't that be kinda strange?
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

22. 05-20-2017 01:25 PM #72
      Well what I mean is, when you are riddled with spite for people who are the very reason for your existence, there's really no excuse for you to be in that job. Unless you get a certain thrill out of feeling hatred for your customer, there's really no one to blame. Or the money is so good that you have nothing to complain about.

If my job was growing plants and all I talked about was how stupid the plants were and how much I hated them and how much smarter I was than them, wouldn't that be kinda strange?
      It would be kinda strange if the plant was smarter than you.

23. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-20-2017 01:32 PM #73
      Quote Originally Posted by shawshank redemption View Post
      It would be kinda strange if the plant was smarter than you.
      Depends on where you work.

24. Junior Member Cradle2theDave's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 GTI(APR Stg.ll) 2015 Nissan Altima(Wifey's)
      05-20-2017 01:38 PM #74

People who spite their customers won't last long, no matter what industry or level within that industry you are in. However, lack of respect for all salespeople is kind of the same thing, no? It goes both ways. If people don't have the ability to treat every situation or interaction individually, there's no chance of either party coming away happy.
      Previous Transportation: 03 Grand Am / 02 Tahoe LT / 09 Husqvarna SM610R / 05 Volvo S60 T5

05-20-2017 02:22 PM #75
      One thing I haven't seen mentioned is timing. I generally what'd make, and model car I want at least a month before I start shopping. Then I watch the market checking CL every day or so.

There are 2 reasons why I never end up paying anywhere close to market value. Eventually someone will post a car they need gone now, and put it up for less then anything else out there, or sometimes a car has been languishing on cl for weeks. In both cases coming into that persons life at the right time will save you bank.

For my last purchase I had been watching pathfinders for a month, and a guy put one up for $2000 under anyone else. I spotted it, was the first to see it, and ultimately drove it home for another $500 off.

I personally don't go for the jugular or do hardball tactics on CL people. I want some off, but I plan to get maybe 20% off unless they are being ridiculous. When I post things I put them up for a good price, and people try to chip me down by huge margins. I have walked away from people trying to pull all kinds of crap like shaking on a deal and then showing up with less money, sob stories, nit picking everything and demanding 50% off etc.

Not how I Treat people, or want to be treated

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For advertising information click HERE

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123