KilometerMagazine.com - Five Guys Beats In-N-Out as Most Popular Burger Chain
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    1. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      05-18-2017 11:12 AM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by GolfTango View Post
      Lot's of companies do this. Set up shop in several unique, international locations. But stateside expansion seems to crawl a bit slower.
      That's true. Didn't Halal Guys do this prior to expanding outside of the NYC area?

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      05-18-2017 11:12 AM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Exactly. Spelling, grammar, and punctuation matter.
      Actually.
      I was fishing for an Archer "phrasing " meme.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Vehicles
      '04 GTI 1.8T, '99 Passat Wagen 1.8T, 95 Z71 5.7 No T
      05-18-2017 11:15 AM #28
      What hamburger chain do you hate....

I'm going with Steak and Shake, cause fries are the size and texture of toothpicks, and veggies are similar to Subway, I will say that Krystal's hamburger meat is way worse quality though, Was a fan of the Spicy chick. Refuse to go back to Krystal's cause spicy chick is no longer sold. Krystal's and Dairy Queen have nastiest bathrooms.

I assume only Texan's will eat at Hardee's, just something I've always kept in the back of my mind whenever I see one.
      Alex, short for Alex.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-18-2017 11:16 AM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by NWarty View Post
      I did know there was an InO in Medford. Should've stopped there last time we were at Crater a couple of years ago
      It opened in the Fall of 2015, I think.

Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Actually.
      I was fishing for an Archer "phrasing " meme.
      You missed the memo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//// @mbull //// instagram ////

05-18-2017 11:23 AM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by GreenandChrome View Post
      Everyone gets the same thing. None of this "order it your way" BS like at McDs or BK.

While I'm no Californian, I think someone could chime in here on the "adapting" InO has done over the years.
      Aside from accepting credit cards, InO is pretty much the same as I remember it being a couple decades ago. You can order it your way at InO, plus they have their secret menu stuff. Their restaurants are clean, food is consistent, service is generally excellent, and nothing has really changed for a while.

6. Member
      Vehicles
      Current: '96 Honda Civic CX; Former: '92 Honda Civic VX (totaled/sold), '12 Golf TDI (sold to VW)
      05-18-2017 11:24 AM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by westsideseal View Post
      Aside from accepting credit cards, InO is pretty much the same as I remember it being a couple decades ago. You can order it your way at InO, plus they have their secret menu stuff. Their restaurants are clean, food is consistent, service is generally excellent, and nothing has really changed for a while.
      And they have always paid their staff very generously compared to the competition.

7. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 11:25 AM #32
      Quote Originally Posted by HackAC View Post
      What hamburger chain do you hate....

I'm going with Steak and Shake, cause fries are the size and texture of toothpicks, and veggies are similar to Subway, I will say that Krystal's hamburger meat is way worse quality though, Was a fan of the Spicy chick. Refuse to go back to Krystal's cause spicy chick is no longer sold. Krystal's and Dairy Queen have nastiest bathrooms.

I assume only Texan's will eat at Hardee's, just something I've always kept in the back of my mind whenever I see one.
      A tie between Braum's and Whataburger for me.

Vehicles
      2011 GTI 2dr 6M, 2014 JKU
      05-18-2017 11:36 AM #33
      From what I understand about In 'N Out, they won't put a location further than a truck can drive in ten hours or something from their meat plant because they don't freeze it.

I have had both but Five Guys is the only one around here. We have a Fatburger too but I have never been.
      The OG Russells is back!

Quote Originally Posted by Sump View Post
      I'm sure a lot of these guys went home after the carwash and played a little hans solo.

Vehicles
      2011 Fiesta SES HB, 2008 Subaru Impreza Outback Sport, 1996 GTI hoopty
      05-18-2017 12:42 PM #34
      How many here have had five guys?
      I've had Five Guys burgers. They're a good, solid burger, IMO. The fries are okay, I tend to like them crispier than how they generally cook them.

I wonder how much the millenial thing has to do with ordering apps, or self-order kiosks, etc. Andy forbid anybody interacts with a human anymore.

I haven't seen a Whataburger or Fatburger in Michigan, not for a while. There was a Fatburger in Detroit a short time back, but mediocrity led to its closing, apparently. No In-n-Out in Michigan, either, from what I've been able to tell.

We have a Wahlburger, but I haven't been down there. Is it worth trying or is it just another burger with a bigger name behind it?
      Last edited by DonL; 05-18-2017 at 12:53 PM.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex
      I'm not grouping everyone together - I would have said everyone in this forum is a moron.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      '14 MP4-12C Spider
      05-18-2017 12:46 PM #35
      Five Guys burger + In-N-Out fries = ultimate combo

Vehicles
      '15 Fiesta ST; '16 GTI
      05-18-2017 12:54 PM #36
      In n Out is a solid fast food burger. I over did it when I spent a year living one exit away from a location. I never really got into 5 guys. It's not bad and I won't turn it down, but I don't seek it out. The Habit wins best fast food burger for me, I think. And Carl's Jr. Isn't too bad. And Whataburger was decent. I still need to try Dick's Hamburgers (almost set myself up there) when I'm in Seattle.

Vehicles
      DD: Big & Black O: A4 | Uncertified Preowned: Explorer, Sportage, xB, Golf GL
      05-18-2017 01:00 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Leitloaf View Post
      In n Out is a solid fast food burger. I over did it when I spent a year living one exit away from a location. I never really got into 5 guys. It's not bad and I won't turn it down, but I don't seek it out. The Habit wins best fast food burger for me, I think. And Carl's Jr. Isn't too bad. And Whataburger was decent. I still need to try Dick's Hamburgers (almost set myself up there) when I'm in Seattle.
      Don't expect anything. It's cheap, that's it's draw. The fries have been changed- or maybe the way they cook them. They used to be greasy and salty. Now a lot less grease.

Of fast food joints, I do prefer In-and-Out. I've had Five Guys twice, and kinda underwhelmed. I have one down the street, so maybe I'll try them again.
      Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

//// @mbull //// instagram ////

Vehicles
      Golf 7 R, NA Miata, Ford Ranger
      05-18-2017 01:00 PM #38
      I've heard great things about In-N-Out's fries, so when we were in San Francisco and came across one, we went in specifically for the fries. We didn't care for them at all.

I do like Five Guys, though. There's one across from work and one near my home, but I go rarely.

14. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 01:00 PM #39
      No love for Shake Shack burgers here?

Vehicles
      '12 Golf R
      05-18-2017 01:04 PM #40
      Quote Originally Posted by DUBPL8 View Post
      Probably my favorite fast food burger. I do recognize that it's probably partially due to the fact that I don't get to eat there very often.

I used to LOVE Five Guys and now they're just "meh" since I worked down the street from one for a couple years.
      Quote Originally Posted by @McMike View Post
      We can not be trusted.

16. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 01:06 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by Time for a GTI View Post
      Probably my favorite fast food burger. I do recognize that it's probably partially due to the fact that I don't get to eat there very often.

I used to LOVE Five Guys and now they're just "meh" since I worked down the street from one for a couple years.
      It's always very busy at the one near my office, so no point in going there during my lunch break since parking is a bitch and a half to find.

Although I should have one after I get off work tonight since our office is relocating to another part of Dallas where Shake Shack isn't easily accessible

Vehicles
      '15 Fiesta ST; '16 GTI
      05-18-2017 01:11 PM #42
      I haven't tried them yet. Maybe soon since it is a bit of a drive.

Habit:

I am so hungry

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      05-18-2017 01:11 PM #43
      I like Five Guys. Not sure if the one in Springfield, VA is still a company store, but it was their fifth and last location before they started franchising.

I remember falling in love with their menu. Not because it was so diverse, but for how far they could stretch like, five inventory items.

Single burger
      Single cheese burger
      Single bacon burger
      Single bacon cheese burger
      Double burger
      Double cheese burger
      Double bacon burger
      Double bacon cheese burger

Having a restaurant at the time with over with several hundred inventory items, I was a little jealous.

05-18-2017 01:17 PM #44
      I like Five Guys. Not sure if the one in Springfield, VA is still a company store, but it was their fifth and last location before they started franchising.

I remember falling in love with their menu. Not because it was so diverse, but for how far they could stretch like, five inventory items.

Single burger
      Single cheese burger
      Single bacon burger
      Single bacon cheese burger
      Double burger
      Double cheese burger
      Double bacon burger
      Double bacon cheese burger

Having a restaurant at the time with over with several hundred inventory items, I was a little jealous.
      mmmmm you're making me hungry. double bacon cheese, please. Ketchup only. Cajun fries. Please stuff them in a cup and then pour another 1.5 cups over the burger in the bag so I have to eat fries in order to get to the burger. nom nom nom.
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      They make my ass look pretty.

20. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 01:30 PM #45
      How about local burger joints? Are there any that any of you prefer over the national establishments?

Vehicles
      2015 Passat "Limited Edition"
      05-18-2017 01:35 PM #46
      I went to one in Darien, CT last week. It was fine. I really liked their fries.

Five Guys is all over here in New England now. They do a good burger but the fries weren't anything special.

I went to an In and Out in Fremont a couple of years ago. It was fine - nothing to write home about.

Vehicles
      German Vans and sporty British stuff
      05-18-2017 01:36 PM #47
      How about local burger joints? Are there any that any of you prefer over the national establishments?
      To me, Five Guys is a local burger joint.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a small, local burger place around here. The last time I did, it was M&G Bugers in Lakespur CA a few months ago. They only took cash.

23. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      05-18-2017 01:36 PM #48
      There was a long time butcher shop here called Sam's Meat Cleaver.. unfortunately it closed a few years ago (Sam got too old iirc- sucks when you build a business from scratch and your kids want nothing to do with it).
      It wasn't a restaurant or even a deli, but he did make hamburgers.
      Wow.. talk about a great hamburger!
      You basically ordered one and took it with you since not a restaurant/no seating/no drinks/no etc.
      Good quality burger cooked right = good hamburger.

I've never had five guy and did the in and out thing.
      To me- the pics just show a GREASY burger.
      Sure-hot grease makes it taste good.
      But that's not quality imho.

PAL'S is a local (mainly drive thru only) chain that has a very simple menu, clean stores, friendly employees, and gives you consistently fresh food quickly with very low mistakes.
      They aren't amazing, but they are always very good and made with quality stuff (fresh onions, pickles, tomatoes you would use at home)- and they have great fries, thick real milkshakes.. old fashioned goodness served with old fashioned care and old fashioned friendliness without silly canned responses.
      Def worth trying if in the area.

Last edited by BRealistic; 05-18-2017 at 01:47 PM.
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties
      Vehicles
      Gee oh elle eff, Vee oh elle tea
      05-18-2017 01:37 PM #49
      Quote Originally Posted by Tornado2dr View Post
      mmmmm you're making me hungry. double bacon cheese, please. Ketchup only. Cajun fries. Please stuff them in a cup and then pour another 1.5 cups over the burger in the bag so I have to eat fries in order to get to the burger. nom nom nom.
      Bacon cheese dog. Try one. So good.

25. Member
      Vehicles
      05-18-2017 01:48 PM #50
      To me, Five Guys is a local burger joint.

I can't remember the last time I ate at a small, local burger place around here. The last time I did, it was M&G Bugers in Lakespur CA a few months ago. They only took cash.
      hahahaha good point!

There was a long time butcher shop here called Sam's Meat Cleaver.. unfortunately it closed a few years ago (Sam got too old iirc- sucks when you build a business from scratch and your kids want nothing to do with it).
      It wasn't a restaurant or even a deli, but he did make hamburgers.
      Wow.. talk about a great hamburger!
      You basically ordered one and took it with you since not a restaurant/no seating/no drinks/no etc.
      Good quality burger cooked right = good hamburger.

I've never had five guy and did the in and out thing.
      To me- the pics just show a GREASY burger.
      Sure-hot grease makes it taste good.
      But that's not quality imho.
      Was that a place that's been around for decades?

Sucks about the loss of an established neighborhood staple

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast