KilometerMagazine.com - German Driving Test
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?
  • Log in or Sign up


    The Car Lounge
    Results 1 to 23 of 23
    1. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      570
      Vehicles
      6
      05-18-2017 08:25 PM #1
      If you ever plan to move/live there. It's Long, but interesting.


    2. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2015
      Posts
      237
      Vehicles
      6Sp: '07 Volvo V70R, '16 BMW 340ix
      05-18-2017 09:24 PM #2
      Visions of hell to many. In the Netherlands it takes an average of 40 practice hours at a cost of $80 per hour before before an exam ($300) is scheduled. Just around 50% passes their exam on the first try; 20% fails at least four times before they pass and about 40% of the population has no driver's license. This is compensated by bike ownership which is the highest in the world: 99% of the population and an average of 1.3 bikes per person.

    3. Geriatric Member J-Tim's Avatar
      Join Date
      May 26th, 2000
      Location
      Kangaroo-infested Austria
      Posts
      35,863
      Vehicles
      German/American/Italian
      05-18-2017 10:03 PM #3
      Yes, please.
      🍵 🚴 🍲 💤
      "I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us are. Very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad."

    4. Senior Member Iroczgirl's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 17th, 2007
      Location
      Bend, OR
      Posts
      30,024
      Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      05-18-2017 10:14 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
      Visions of hell to many. In the Netherlands it takes an average of 40 practice hours at a cost of $80 per hour before before an exam ($300) is scheduled. Just around 50% passes their exam on the first try; 20% fails at least four times before they pass and about 40% of the population has no driver's license. This is compensated by bike ownership which is the highest in the world: 99% of the population and an average of 1.3 bikes per person.
      I don't know. I took one in Belgium and one in Germany (80ies-90ies). It's a real test, unlike the USA, where you get a license with a box of cereal. I enjoyed their driving tests.
      Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

    5. Member Nealric's Avatar
      Join Date
      Feb 16th, 2013
      Posts
      5,195
      Vehicles
      '16 WRX STI, Turbo S3 Alfa Spider, Family Truckster
      05-18-2017 10:17 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I don't know. I took one in Belgium and one in Germany (80ies-90ies). It's a real test, unlike the USA, where you get a license with a box of cereal. I enjoyed their driving tests.
      Let's not exaggerate. You need to collect at least 5 box tops to get a license.

    6. Member r_fostoria's Avatar
      Join Date
      Sep 7th, 2009
      Location
      Middletown, PA
      Posts
      5,260
      Vehicles
      2012 FIAT 500 Abarth, 1996 BMW 328i
      05-18-2017 10:31 PM #6
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      I don't know. I took one in Belgium and one in Germany (80ies-90ies). It's a real test, unlike the USA, where you get a license with a box of cereal. I enjoyed their driving tests.
      Eh, I think these laborious, overly expensive tests are BS. We live in the land of the free where anyone can fill out the form and fork over $1200 for an enormous automatic 3800 Buick to cruise the left lanes at 62mph in.

    7. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2015
      Posts
      237
      Vehicles
      6Sp: '07 Volvo V70R, '16 BMW 340ix
      05-18-2017 10:59 PM #7
      Quote Originally Posted by r_fostoria View Post
      Eh, I think these laborious, overly expensive tests are BS. We live in the land of the free where anyone can fill out the form and fork over $1200 for an enormous automatic 3800 Buick to cruise the left lanes at 62mph in.
      Neither way would work well for the other. More rules and more skill required to drive in the Netherlands, and having to pay $3,000+ for a driving license would lead to a revolt in the US.

    8. 05-18-2017 11:09 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by Duvel View Post
      Neither way would work well for the other. More rules and more skill required to drive in the Netherlands, and having to pay $3,000+ for a driving license would lead to a revolt in the US.
      I would love for this in the US. America would never adopt something like this cuz speeding tickets, and various other fines and tickets brings in money for the govt.

      Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
      Bump

    9. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      35,614
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-18-2017 11:17 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by LegendaryT2 View Post
      I would love for this in the US. America would never adopt something like this cuz speeding tickets, and various other fines and tickets brings in money for the govt.
      LOL. You think that in Germany they don't collect tons of money on speed camera, tailgate camera and other traffic violation tickets? You're sadly mistaken.

    10. Member
      Join Date
      Nov 10th, 2008
      Location
      Beverly Hills, CA
      Posts
      4,593
      Vehicles
      2008 Viper, Prior: 2006 Gallardo Spyder, 2001 Miata, 2006 Corvette, 2008 Ninja 650, 1999 Lexus GS400
      05-18-2017 11:44 PM #10
      We need much higher standards in this country. I would guess a full half of licensed drivers in the US have no business being behind the wheel of a car
      "Plenty of poseurs drive all sorts of sports cars, but poseurs won’t survive the Viper"-Car and Driver

    11. I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      16,983
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-19-2017 07:35 AM #11
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      We need much higher standards in this country. I would guess a full half of licensed drivers in the US have no business being behind the wheel of a car
      Why? With autonomous cars just around the corner, why bother.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

    12. Member Triumph's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 27th, 2000
      Location
      Northern VA
      Posts
      10,016
      Vehicles
      '09 GTI
      05-19-2017 08:08 AM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      We need much higher standards in this country. I would guess a full half of licensed drivers in the US have no business being behind the wheel of a car
      I used to think this way but...

      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Why? With autonomous cars just around the corner, why bother.
      Is probably the reality of what is going to happen. Which of course means when people have to actually take control of their car and drive, say for example in inclement weather, they will be pretty much incapable of doing it.
      -Triumph, the Insult Comic Dog

      I saw this in a movie about a bus that had to speed around the city, keeping its speed over fifty, and if its speed dropped, the bus would explode! I think it was called, "The Bus That Couldn't Slow Down."

    13. Member corrado-correr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2004
      Location
      Stuttgart
      Posts
      5,661
      05-19-2017 08:47 AM #13
      I've exploited a loop hole in order to get my German driving license. Depending on what state you're from it's a direct transfer (give them you're US driving license, a passport photo, and a small administrative fee, and they give you a German license with no exam).

    14. I hibernate. Just like the Turtles! GoHomePossum's Avatar
      Join Date
      Nov 7th, 2007
      Location
      KLPR
      Posts
      16,983
      Vehicles
      '14 GMC Sierra, '88 Mitsubishi Jeep CJ3B
      05-19-2017 08:49 AM #14
      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      I've exploited a loop hole in order to get my German driving license. Depending on what state you're from it's a direct transfer (give them you're US driving license, a passport photo, and a small administrative fee, and they give you a German license with no exam).
      Yeah I knew you could do this, always surprised me that ze Germans would allow this since they're such Nazis about their laws.
      I now have an InstaGram: emmettlodge

    15. Member
      Join Date
      Mar 11th, 2015
      Posts
      237
      Vehicles
      6Sp: '07 Volvo V70R, '16 BMW 340ix
      05-19-2017 09:25 AM #15
      Quote Originally Posted by GoHomePossum View Post
      Yeah I knew you could do this, always surprised me that ze Germans would allow this since they're such Nazis about their laws.
      There is a Dutch loophole where you can get your driver's license acquired at the Antilles transferred in the homeland. Let's just say the exam is a little less rigorous on the Antilles. The loophole has been a driving force for tourism for years.

    16. Member
      Join Date
      Jul 25th, 2004
      Location
      Denver/Frankfurt
      Posts
      1,378
      05-19-2017 09:31 AM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      LOL. You think that in Germany they don't collect tons of money on speed camera, tailgate camera and other traffic violation tickets? You're sadly mistaken.
      At least they're cheap though. Just got a €10 ticket for 108 in a 100, got me coming down a long hill on the A3 and I didn't bother braking.

      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      We need much higher standards in this country. I would guess a full half of licensed drivers in the US have no business being behind the wheel of a car
      There's still a ton of German drivers who don't seem to have a clue either.

      Quote Originally Posted by corrado-correr View Post
      I've exploited a loop hole in order to get my German driving license. Depending on what state you're from it's a direct transfer (give them you're US driving license, a passport photo, and a small administrative fee, and they give you a German license with no exam).
      27 States have full reciprocity which is pretty nice. I still don't know how you'd know some of the driving rules like right has right of way on non-priority roads and the zipper rule without at least studying the rule book.
      17 Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription P*
      15 BMW 328d xDrive Sports Wagon M Sport
      15 Audi SQ5 Prestige

    17. Geriatric Member spockcat's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jun 4th, 2003
      Location
      West Coast, not that west coast. Bay area, not that bay area.
      Posts
      35,614
      Vehicles
      11 328i Touring, 16 Colorado Crew, Versys, 2017 Barracuda
      05-19-2017 09:47 AM #17
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      At least they're cheap though. Just got a €10 ticket for 108 in a 100, got me coming down a long hill on the A3 and I didn't bother braking.
      They obviously make it up on volume. No 10% over allowance. Tickets generated with fully automated cameras.

    18. Member chucchinchilla's Avatar
      Join Date
      Dec 25th, 2004
      Location
      Dallas, TX
      Posts
      18,335
      Vehicles
      2016 A6, 2014 X3, 1963 356
      05-19-2017 10:19 AM #18
      40 minutes! I'll have to watch this later after work as I'm very interested in how thorough it is. IIRC, you also have to learn basic first aid which I think is brilliant. Imagine how many lives would be saved if every American was taught basic CPR, dressing wounds, etc.
      Quote Originally Posted by jamie@vwvortex View Post
      This forum is more and more of an embarrassment every day...

    19. 05-19-2017 10:27 AM #19
      Quote Originally Posted by spockcat View Post
      LOL. You think that in Germany they don't collect tons of money on speed camera, tailgate camera and other traffic violation tickets? You're sadly mistaken.
      I mean this in the sense that those license holders or ppl who could have a license would lose or not be able to get a license would in a way come out of the revenue for those who could've been ticketed, only to make safer roads and a less stressful commute wouldn't make sense for the US. Which sucks, some of these laws protect the stupid and allows the govt to make money at the same time.

      Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
      Bump

    20. 05-19-2017 10:28 AM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by thetopdog View Post
      We need much higher standards in this country. I would guess a full half of licensed drivers in the US have no business being behind the wheel of a car
      I totally agree, my mom and some women I know would no longer be able to drive.

      Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk
      Bump

    21. Member Leitloaf's Avatar
      Join Date
      Oct 9th, 2016
      Location
      $2000 for a 1 bedroom
      Posts
      155
      Vehicles
      '15 Fiesta ST; '16 GTI
      05-19-2017 10:44 AM #21
      Thanks for sharing! I agree with some of the other folks here that we need to beef up the driving test out here. Last year I took the motorcycle safety course and then the written test to get my license. It was FAR too easy. In the final exercise which was a sort of multi directional traffic/intersection scenario, I didn't do too well. I ended up having the highest score in the class and many people passed who I didn't think should have. In CA, you are able to skip the DMV motorcycle skills test by taking this course. I really could have used a lot more instruction and bike time. And I would have liked to have taken a guided ride on the streets as part of the course. Or some kind of less controlled environment.

    22. Member Senior Member's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 1st, 2016
      Location
      Central NJ
      Posts
      570
      Vehicles
      6
      05-19-2017 06:27 PM #22
      I think just showing this video to most U.S. drivers would help a lot. Proper merging, passing, use of signal, etc..

    23. Member corrado-correr's Avatar
      Join Date
      Jul 8th, 2004
      Location
      Stuttgart
      Posts
      5,661
      05-20-2017 05:18 AM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by ND40oz View Post
      27 States have full reciprocity which is pretty nice. I still don't know how you'd know some of the driving rules like right has right of way on non-priority roads and the zipper rule without at least studying the rule book.
      As someone who did study the rule book, i have to admit even after 6months of driving in germany some of the signs are still confusing. Watching the OP video helped.

    For advertising information click HERE

    Posting Permissions

    • You may not post new threads
    • You may not post replies
    • You may not post attachments
    • You may not edit your posts
    •