KilometerMagazine.com - Bay Area 02 Swap and Show 17 || BMW 2002's and other cool(er) vintage stuff
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    1. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 02:16 PM #26
      Quote Originally Posted by inquisitive View Post
      So you'll take a 2002 if it's Japanese? Cool.
      Yep, it was pretty close to a copy. It was a cool car, too.
      Quote Originally Posted by Boyz in da Park
      Proletariat, Bourgeoise - Everybody smellin' my potpourri...

2. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 02:41 PM #27
      Quote Originally Posted by hushypushy View Post
      I really need to drive an '02, for two big reasons:

1. I always thought the E9 was a cool car, but when I drove yours I was BLOWN AWAY at how smooth and nice it was to drive, so now I really like E9's.

2. I've never really been a huge 2002 fan. To me they look good but not great, and I've never driven one so I have nothing to go off there. On paper they seem very interesting (small light car with a revvy 4 cylinder), so I need to drive one to put together a fuller opinion.
      Most of the NK BMW's drive similarly. They had similar chassis designs, similar suspensions, and it was the start of BMW doing the "Same sausage in different length" idea. Biggest difference is weight and power delivery. I hear you on the E9 though. Like I told you the first time you drove it, I was smitten with the looks, and was going to buy it anyway before I drove it. Then I drove it and totally fell in love with how it drove. Makes you realize why BMW's were such a success back then. Here it is a 1970 model year, and it felt like a car from the late 80's. Well ahead of it's time.

I too was always drawn more into the lines of the E9 vs the 2002, but the '02s I always thought were more fun to hustle through corners than the E9. Lighter weight, shorter wheel base, and similar grip make it a better canyon carver, and the E9 is the better GT car (and the E9 sounds a lot better).
      Driving While Awesome Podcast. Give it a listen.
      Quote Originally Posted by bothhandsplease View Post
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.
      Quote Originally Posted by H.E. Pennypacker View Post
      Brendan and his all knowing heavy breathing baboon are correct.

3. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 Honda Odyssey EXL, '09 Subaru Outback, '99 Jeep XJ, '71 BMW 2800 CS, '73 3.0 CSI
      05-19-2017 03:15 PM #28
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      I unfortunately do not have real spirited drive time behind an E9, but the E9 was a car one of our neighbors owned and I will always want to own. I've taken a few trips to the store or around the block and that's about it. The impression it left and how it felt just stick with me.
      How about a 507. Any spirited drive time in one? How would you summarize the driving characterstics, compared to your seat time in a Tii?

4. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 04:07 PM #29
      Quote Originally Posted by Markos View Post
      How about a 507. Any spirited drive time in one? How would you summarize the driving characterstics, compared to your seat time in a Tii?
      Well he likes those and the E9, so obviously they must drive better. That's the bane of our existence here; speaking about the driving dynamics of cars we've never driven. I remember it being the worst with the SRT4 Neon back in the day. If you don't like it, say it drives like crap. If you like it, it must drive great, as that's why it's popular and you like it.

My bud who has seat time in my E9 took Tim's 2002 to dinner while Tim drove my E9. What a fun day. My friend who has plenty of time in my E9 looooved Tim's 2002, even though his is a very well loved example.
      Brendan told me to get the best discount, I had to send dick pics. I thought this was standard car buying practice.

Vehicles
      E24 project car hell, something broken with a turbo.
      05-19-2017 04:45 PM #30
      Quote Originally Posted by Sold Over Sticker View Post
      I'm sure my E9 in 1980 was styled from 15 years ago, the AC was crap, it was temperamental when cold, didn't have the grip of an E24, and battled with rust, and I'm sure the suspension was dead by then. But an E9 now, or an E24 now, is a horse of a different color. You're allowed to put the rose tinted glasses on, and I'll contend that is the exact reason guys like us are drawn to buy old German cars. I want the nostalgia, flaws included.
      Good point.

Actually the contemporary view, we'll say 1983, of the e9 was it was rare and sought after, if somewhat troublesome to keep from leaking oil. I don't think there's ever been a time when those cars weren't thought of as special. I remember seeing a pair of mint ones in a pole barn back then and thinking they were the most beautiful cars I had ever seen, Alpine White and a pale steel blue I cannot describe well. And they were expensive even then.

The e21 stock engine was a miserable 5 speed in 1983, a 1.8 with around 100hp, maybe less. (Pre 1980 e21s and euros had the 2.0). I had a built 140 HP 2002 tii engine we dropped in, a five speed to four speed conversion. The mounts were the same between the e21 and 2002. It is correct the stock 1.8 was an emissions malaise era special, but the car responded rather well to that upgrade.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

Quote Originally Posted by Wellington P Funk View Post
      Simpleton? I think you've both got me mixed up with someone else.

6. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 04:59 PM #31
      Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      Good point.

Actually the contemporary view, we'll say 1983, of the e9 was it was rare and sought after, if somewhat troublesome to keep from leaking oil. I don't think there's ever been a time when those cars weren't thought of as special. I remember seeing a pair of mint ones in a pole barn back then and thinking they were the most beautiful cars I had ever seen, Alpine White and a pale steel blue I cannot describe well. And they were expensive even then.

The e21 stock engine was a miserable 5 speed in 1983, a 1.8 with around 100hp, maybe less. (Pre 1980 e21s and euros had the 2.0). I had a built 140 HP 2002 tii engine we dropped in, a five speed to four speed conversion. The mounts were the same between the e21 and 2002. It is correct the stock 1.8 was an emissions malaise era special, but the car responded rather well to that upgrade.
      I thought the E21 320i was a 2 liter as the designation implies (you know, back when it meant something). If I remember correctly it was a 2.0 with around 100 hp, which was basically the same engine as the 2002, but the car was heavier and the rear suspension wasn't as well sorted as the 2002. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

As I understand it the rear suspension has been worked out in the aftermarket and they're a pretty good car to pick up nowadays.

7. Member
      05-19-2017 05:03 PM #32
      e9

Vehicles
      05 S2000 (Sold)
      05-19-2017 05:07 PM #33
      This was local? Wow I missed out on this lol

9. 05-19-2017 05:37 PM #34
      Quote Originally Posted by fbobberts View Post
      Good point.

We are comparing two completely different classes of cars here though. E9's were more expensive than 911s for one or two years there, 2002s weren't cheep but not much more than a volvo 144 or audi 80 . I would hope the $2k-4k bought you something in an E9 wrt. to style and interior and noise control.

I have owned an E9 and a m5 E28 and A2 16v GTI and GLIs and they all have their points, but there is something to be said about an eager to rev, light, tossable car with dead on handling consistency that has me not only having a DD 2002, but also a tii garage queen and a VARA race car. The NK cars made BMW, without them the company would have gone broke in the 60's.

10. Senior Member Air and water do mix's Avatar
      Vehicles
      '66 Beetle (X2) '08 Fit
      05-19-2017 06:44 PM #35
      People either forget or don't know how far back the Neue Klasse cars go. The 2002 traces its roots to the 1500 sedan of 1962. The engine architecture, structure and suspension all started with that car and what a car it was! To be as good as the 2002 was when it finally went away compared to the competition makes me wonder what the 1500 must've seemed like when it came out. What a radical, simple, elegant car it must've seemed at the time.

Oh, and there was the 1800 sedan, which sparked the 1800Ti SA. That car was a beast!

It S ure looks innocent, doesn't it?

Vehicles
      bunch of old german junk
      05-19-2017 06:59 PM #36
      Quote Originally Posted by Blade3562 View Post
      My poverty economy spec Mk1 can run circles around them. I fail to see how something is quintessential if 80hp can outrun and outperform it. A GTI will blow one out of the water. The Mk1 will also seat a family of 4 much more comfortably then a 2002. And I'm speaking from a family that has owned both simultaneously.

The interior lacks comfort, the drive lacks enthusiasm and the power doesn't exist. Idk I guess I don't see the appeal, but whatever floats your boat.
      Wanna bet? I have a heavily modified mk2 gti with an aba swap, really short gearing, massive weight reduction, h&r coilovers, big rear sway bar, proper ride height & alignment, all upgraded bushing and motor mounts, potenza re-71rs, etc etc. My friend has a 2002 with a 5 speed from an e21, h&r springs, bilstein shocks and all season tires, and we are neck and neck. In a straight line, our cars accelerate at exactly the same rate. Neither of us gets away from the other. Both have 3 years of autocross experience and no other racing history. Stop talking out of your ass.
      this / is / where / your / sweet / mods / go

Vehicles
      e-Golf + Boxster
      05-19-2017 07:37 PM #37
      Quote Originally Posted by Ark6 View Post
      This was local? Wow I missed out on this lol
      They actually hold a lot of cool events at the Brisbane Marina. I've been to a couple of these Bay Area 02 meets, and a really awesome event called the Vintage Auto Salon which I don't believe is being held anymore.

But the next cool event at Brisbane Marina is going to be the first ever Radwood. Come check it out, I'll be there and so will the whole DWA crew, which includes plenty of TCLers.

https://www.radwood.co/

Want even more hushypushy? Automotive photography and journalism for the sophisticated gearhead: Star Road. [Updated 4/29]

Vehicles
      05-19-2017 08:32 PM #38
      Quote Originally Posted by Air and water do mix View Post
      I thought the E21 320i was a 2 liter as the designation implies (you know, back when it meant something). If I remember correctly it was a 2.0 with around 100 hp, which was basically the same engine as the 2002, but the car was heavier and the rear suspension wasn't as well sorted as the 2002. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it.

As I understand it the rear suspension has been worked out in the aftermarket and they're a pretty good car to pick up nowadays.
      Only early ones were 2.0s, in the US. Later cars were 1.8s.

http://www.bmwe21.net/?page_id=140

When the European E21’s were facelifted in 1979, the U.S. 320i was renewed as well. BMW stopped production of the 2 litre M10 engine when they decided to sell the Euro 318i as the new 320i. The smaller displacement and U.S. restrictions made the new version considerably less powerful but the lightened facelift chassis made up for at least part of the loss.

To this day I have to say after that swap and a sand and repaint in Delphin Grey that's my favorite BMW. Sold it when it started to rust a second time, but for about three years there that was a great car. My standard 2002 parts car was actually a very solid driver, too. It wasn't pretty and it would occasionally fart off a mufffler in a parking lot or drop loose random trim parts but it did get me around.
      Last edited by fbobberts; 05-19-2017 at 08:47 PM.
      Touareg Hybrids are pretty nice, and the warm fuzzies I felt while driving the hybrid was actually the fingers of all of the German tax payers trying to reach into my wallet to get their money back. (Brendan@bwalkauto)

14. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1975 bmw 2002, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1994 bmw 530it, 2001 C5
      05-19-2017 08:38 PM #39
      I really need to drive an '02
      should have met up with brendan and i at monterey when i drove mine out. would have gladly let you drive mine. granted mine is a complete and utter pile of garbage but its still a 2002
      Instagram! @freedo70
      Quote Originally Posted by stevegolf View Post
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

15. Member
      Vehicles
      1964 corvair spyder, 1975 bmw 2002, 1976 bmw 2002 rally car, 1994 bmw 530it, 2001 C5
      05-19-2017 08:41 PM #40
      Well he likes those and the E9, so obviously they must drive better. That's the bane of our existence here; speaking about the driving dynamics of cars we've never driven. I remember it being the worst with the SRT4 Neon back in the day. If you don't like it, say it drives like crap. If you like it, it must drive great, as that's why it's popular and you like it.

My bud who has seat time in my E9 took Tim's 2002 to dinner while Tim drove my E9. What a fun day. My friend who has plenty of time in my E9 looooved Tim's 2002, even though his is a very well loved example.
      if you are ever in my area feel free to take the 2002 out for a proper thrashing
      Instagram! @freedo70
      You could buy a high tech fleshlight that'll take you from zero to jizz in 3 seconds, but wouldn't you rather take your time and enjoy the experience?
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

16. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 08:59 PM #41
      Quote Originally Posted by freedo84gti View Post
      if you are ever in my area feel free to take the 2002 out for a proper thrashing
      I'd kill to Rally cross it. That looks like too much fun.

17. Member
      Vehicles
      05-19-2017 09:01 PM #42
      I'd kill to Rally cross it. That looks like too much fun.
      be my guest. its a handful but a blast
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

18. Member
      Vehicles
      05-19-2017 09:05 PM #43

not to thread jack but i met this guy when i was out there cruising around

Untitled by tim wilson, on Flickr
      Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

19. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 09:06 PM #44
      I love his sedan. Follow him on IG @moderngeneralstore

Vehicles
      05-19-2017 09:36 PM #45
      I forgot the e9 interior...Oh my giddy aunt...

21. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 09:57 PM #46
      Sitting in a nice E9 is like sitting in a lovely leather chair in a fancy cigar bar with wood paneled walls. Just exudes class and fancy.

22. Member
      Vehicles
      '16 Honda Odyssey EXL, '09 Subaru Outback, '99 Jeep XJ, '71 BMW 2800 CS, '73 3.0 CSI
      05-19-2017 10:11 PM #47
      Sitting in a nice E9 is like sitting in a lovely leather chair in a fancy cigar bar with wood paneled walls. Just exudes class and fancy.
      That's why I removed my dash. I can admire it from the comfort of my living room.

23. A beautiful Summer's Eve Sold Over Sticker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      8 Nozzles and 16 Valves
      05-19-2017 10:29 PM #48
      I once was smoking a cigar at a car show slash airshow, and as I was leaving I was still smoking it as I drove my E9 away. The next day? The horse hair, leather, oil and gas smell inside the E9 killed the cigar residue. E9 interiors: places of magic.

24. 05-20-2017 03:35 AM #49
      This show was legit!!

your pics are spot on and let me know i need a better camera

I learned a ridiculous amount about 2002's just walking around.

some of my faves

insert slow clap for this hatchback

and I think my VW Goldie was the only VW Bug there :-)

25. Member
      Vehicles
      05-20-2017 07:35 AM #50
      Quote Originally Posted by acidjzaz View Post
      insert slow clap for this hatchback

i ADORE his wheels

Instagram! @freedo70
      #FREEPATRIKMAN

For advertising information click HERE

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast