KilometerMagazine.com - What intercooler / intercooler radiator for my '83 mTDI Jetta
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Jetta Mk1, 1987 DIY DOKA (t3)
      05-18-2017 11:38 PM #1
      Finally getting around to finishing the motor swap on my mTDI coupe and I was hoping someone who's done it before can point me in the right direction for water-to-air inter-cooler placement, size and associated intercooler radiator size and placement. I don't think the intercooler radiator will fit behind the stock radiator if I keep the air conditioner condenser (?) there.
      It would be most helpful if one of you who has already done this were to chime in. :-)
      The engine is a stock TDI (out of a '96 Passat) running a Rover pump and some nice injectors. Stock turbo. Hoping for about 125hp.

05-19-2017 12:11 AM #2
      Can't fit a stock mk3/Passat side mount intercooler somewhere with custom pipes?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
      Does anyone know who bought the FK 5x100 25mm spacers off of me at Spring Show and Go? I found the hardware, please have him contact me!!!!

3. Member
      Vehicles
      1983 Jetta Mk1, 1987 DIY DOKA (t3)
      05-19-2017 08:06 AM #3
      Not really, and I really want to take advantage of water-to-air cooler with a remote radiator. Just gotta think a lot of people have done this?

4. 05-19-2017 10:13 AM #4
      Mercedes has an intercooler system that has a radiator that is the perfect size and is thin. The A/C condenser is awfully thick in your car. I would find a new A/C condenser that is thinner and then use the Mercedes radiator. With a modern condenser and a bit of butchery, it should look professional.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/00-06-W220-M...-/252485941186
      https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...FQhrfgodU7ILUA

5. Member
      Vehicles
      turds
      05-19-2017 09:46 PM #5
      Im using the 1998 euro van condenser. Thin, bar and plat. You can look for companies that make the newer bar and plate for the 91.5+ cabrio's. But they went out of stock last year, and I stopped looking. The euro van is the next best thing, but you HAVE to make supports for the inlet/outlet fittings. I had 2 of them crack due to diesel turd vibrations.

My water to air system is ugly as ****, but I was just seeing if it would work for me. I now just have to enlarge the intercooler.

I am using the ebay aluminum mk2 16v radiator (make sure to get the bigger one), and a mk1 ebay aluminum radiator, as my heat exchanger.

and im a total looser who cant find any pics...
      Last edited by heywier427; 05-19-2017 at 09:49 PM.

For advertising information click HERE