KilometerMagazine.com - Hissing or "Pfffttt" sound from engine bay.
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

1. 05-19-2017 10:22 AM #1
      Hello All,

My girl has a 2014 Jetta automatic. The car makes an intermittent hissing or pfffttt sound when accelerating. It is not all the time, but most noticeable during hard acceleration.

I don't get any error codes when I plug in my Ross-Tech cable.

It sounds to me like an exhaust manifold or gasket leak.

There is sluggish performance on acceleration which would back this up.

I have two questions....

1.) Is there a 'quick' way to determine if this is indeed what is going on? In other vehicles I've put tissue near the manifold for this purpose...but everything is so packed together in modern engines, this seems unlikely.

2.) Risks? She regularly drives this car putting many many miles on it for her job. Some websites have said if you ignore such a leak it will damage the engine compartment electronics. I find that hard to believe given the operating temps in there already. I am assuming ignoring this wouldn't be likely to cause problems to head right?

Also....no smell or indication of coolant leak, but if I'm forgetting something here (and a more obvious problem is suggested) please let me know.

Thanks!

2. Junior Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Jetta 1.8 TSI SE
      05-19-2017 01:13 PM #2
      If it is a TSI Jetta - and if it is warm/hot outside - it will "hiss".

Vehicles
      2004 VW GTI 1.8T
      05-19-2017 01:19 PM #3

Vehicles
      GLI Gen 3
      05-19-2017 02:04 PM #4
      Before everyone on here slams you as a noob... Are you familiar with the difference between a leak and the turbo doing its thing?

Why do you think it is a leak?

Helpful info would be model, engine, mileage. Any mods?
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG | Unitronic Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-flo Intake | Maniacs Paddle Shifter Extensions | Carbon Fiber Wrap Interior Trim | deAutoKey HIDs & LEDs | Yellow Laminex Fogs | 35% Tint | 3M Gloss Black Roof | VCDS in North San Diego County Coast |

5. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE
      05-19-2017 02:33 PM #5
      I don't think anything other than overheating and a loose oil pan bolt can damage an engine. On the other hand I have to tell you that you didn't mention your milage and engine. Did you drive the car yourself so that you could describe the issue in more detail?

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      05-19-2017 02:34 PM #6
      not sure if serious....

Is this your first time with a turbo?

Vehicles
      Who knows...
      05-19-2017 03:19 PM #7
      I know the 1.8T TSI loves to "hiss" more than most other VW turbos I have driven. It is the particluar sound that is a little odd compared to other "normal" or traditional turbo noises, in my opinion. My recent 2.0L VW turbos did not sound the same.

8. 05-19-2017 04:17 PM #8
      What is the mechanical condition of the the car? Mods? High mileage? Accidents or other issues? Based on what you said it kind of sounds normal to me.
      I bought my 17 Sport 2 months ago new. Turbo has "hissed" from day 1. I'm at 2k miles now, turbo still hisses, really anywhere from light to hard acceleration. Having had multiple forced induction cars in the past, this is normal to me. Actually it's a welcomed sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Member
      Vehicles
      2015 Jetta se 1.8 connectivity
      05-19-2017 09:33 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by DasCC View Post
      not sure if serious....

Is this your first time with a turbo?
      My car has the same issue. Much more noticeable with an intake. Lol

If it was vacuum or airflow related most likely you'd have a CEL.
      35 ceramic tint . Projector Headlights & USP HID 6k . Euro switch w/ Automatic . Racing Pedals . Exhaust Tips . HR coils . HR rear sway Bar . APR stage 2 93 . Alzor 18" 621 . Extreme Contact DWS 225/40/18 . p3 gauge . DeAutoKey Interior LED set . Apr intake . Apr downpipe . Apr intercooler . LED Deautokey foglights

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-19-2017 10:10 PM #10
      Does it sound like a whine/flute on WOT like this?

https://youtu.be/uyEgmjyeO6s?t=7m5s

If so it's a leaky diverter valve.
      Fuelly | 2012 GLI M/T | APR Stage 2 | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily | Forge Short Shift | CTS Turbo Intake | GFB DV+ | AWE Tuning Touring Turbo-back | Unibrace UB | CTS Turbo Catch Can | NeuSpeed TOP | ECS Throttle Pipe | I have VCDS if you need it!

11. 05-22-2017 09:10 AM #11
      Thanks for the answers. Apologies for lack of details in post.

2014 SE
      150,000 miles
      No mods.
      No accidents.
      Very much a base price Jetta, nothing fancy, just with a lot of highway driving.

The youtube video is a pretty good representation of the sounds (a bit stronger than we experience) but with a definite drop in performance when it occurs rather than any kind of boost. I will do more research on the diverter. Thanks.

FYI, I am sure it isn't just the 'normal' sound of a turbo as a few have suggested. This is both a new problem and I drive a Mark IV 1.8T Jetta, so familiar with what a turbo sounds like and shouldn't get a drop off in performance anyhow with it.

Glad at least that folks aren't suggesting this is something that requires immediate attention.

Vehicles
      '15 RSM e-Golf SEL | '15 CW Passat TSI SEL
      05-22-2017 12:25 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by VWPleb View Post
      Thanks for the answers. Apologies for lack of details in post.

2014 SE
      150,000 miles
      No mods.
      No accidents.
      Very much a base price Jetta, nothing fancy, just with a lot of highway driving.

The youtube video is a pretty good representation of the sounds (a bit stronger than we experience) but with a definite drop in performance when it occurs rather than any kind of boost. I will do more research on the diverter. Thanks.

FYI, I am sure it isn't just the 'normal' sound of a turbo as a few have suggested. This is both a new problem and I drive a Mark IV 1.8T Jetta, so familiar with what a turbo sounds like and shouldn't get a drop off in performance anyhow with it.

Glad at least that folks aren't suggesting this is something that requires immediate attention.

Vehicles
      GLI Gen 3
      05-22-2017 02:14 PM #13
      That's a healthy amount of miles! My 2014 just hit 17,500!! Has the car had new spark plugs ever installed? Checked for carbon build-up, etc? With that many miles im going to guess its on the hwy a lot and hopefully that helps with carbon reduction.
      2014 GLI Autobahn DSG | Unitronic Stage 1 | Neuspeed P-flo Intake | Maniacs Paddle Shifter Extensions | Carbon Fiber Wrap Interior Trim | deAutoKey HIDs & LEDs | Yellow Laminex Fogs | 35% Tint | 3M Gloss Black Roof | VCDS in North San Diego County Coast |

14. Member
      Vehicles
      2011 Jetta SE
      05-23-2017 02:09 AM #14
      That amount of milage in 3 years needs a maintenance schedule beyond regular intervals.
      Have you ever changed your plugs, coils, fuel filter, air filter etc.? And your timing belt, accessory belts? I guess modern 1.8Ts are timing belt engines, right?

15. 05-23-2017 07:22 PM #15
      to tell you the truth...

i spend as little time as possible working on her car. i should be better about it. (i should be better about my IV too.)

she tends to take it to the dealer when she is supposed to, but money is getting tight...like it is for everyone, so I've got to pick up the slack.

when she bought this 2014 jetta, she traded in a very nice looking BMW 3 series (2007).

the dealer was DROOLING over it as a trade in, until he heard the mileage...337,000....and then he basically didn't want anything to do with it.

she drives alot.

16. 05-23-2017 07:23 PM #16
      Quote Originally Posted by turboDSG View Post
      That's a healthy amount of miles! My 2014 just hit 17,500!! Has the car had new spark plugs ever installed? Checked for carbon build-up, etc? With that many miles im going to guess its on the hwy a lot and hopefully that helps with carbon reduction.

maybe i can just dump 5 gals of seafoam in it and leave it idling overnight.

Vehicles
      GLI Gen 3
      05-23-2017 10:02 PM #17
      wow.... how did that BMW treat her over 200,000 miles? You don't even see a TON of Japanese cars over 300K

How has the VW been? 150K is up there on a turbo VW, whatever the year.

18. 05-26-2017 10:20 AM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by turboDSG View Post
      wow.... how did that BMW treat her over 200,000 miles? You don't even see a TON of Japanese cars over 300K

How has the VW been? 150K is up there on a turbo VW, whatever the year.

The BMW was "OK". Big performance difference between the 5 and the 3. We had a 5 before that (and it moved). The 3 had all of the "we know better than you" transmission programming. So it was really annoying the way it downshifted when you stepped off the gas. I ran it in sport mode or even shifted to neutral coming up to lights. Drove me nuts (I only drive manuals).

We've been unhappy with the Jetta, despite the mileage.

My 2001 Jetta is a seriously well built ride. VW clearly made much less margin on it. Before I became broke and put a crappy cat on it, the turbo was awesome. I regret that move (both from a performance perspective, and my TWO trips to CAP Auto to get free replacements of the cat...which I then had to install again myself). I will keep driving it, and have even thought about a frame up on it, if I ever have the cash and space.

But the 2014? No way. I may not buy another VW after that experience. Maybe a GTI, but not another Jetta unless VW gioes back to it's roots of great performance for a great price. You can tell from it's ride and interior that they were totally leveraging the stellar brand when they cut corners on this newest version. I'm not trying to throw a grenade in here...I know guys love their cars, I do too. But it's frustrating when the performance isn't there and you still have a good sized loan on it. That said, we did buy a BASELINE JETTA not a tricked out top of the line. So, I admit, my complaints need to be taken with some skepticism.

I'd consider a Suburu next time around....value for performance is hard to beat. Tho, a lot of those drivers seem like the volvo drivers of old...that is, they can't drive!

If I ever start making money again (pretty frickin' doubtful)....then a 5 series possibly, or a top of the line Audi, if I don't mind the occaisional breakdown. More info than you wanted.

19. Member
      Vehicles
      Pure White '16 GLI SE
      05-26-2017 01:47 PM #19
      It's probably the turbo pursuit mode....

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

20. 05-30-2017 11:12 PM #20
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanderson2491 View Post
      Does it sound like a whine/flute on WOT like this?

https://youtu.be/uyEgmjyeO6s?t=7m5s

If so it's a leaky diverter valve.
      Interesting. My car sounds like this but was assumed normal by many. I have an aftermarket forge bov.

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-31-2017 08:11 PM #21
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydean956 View Post
      Interesting. My car sounds like this but was assumed normal by many. I have an aftermarket forge bov.
      Your BOV replaces the DV then.
      Fuelly | 2012 GLI M/T | APR Stage 2 | SouthBend Stage 2 Daily | Forge Short Shift | CTS Turbo Intake | GFB DV+ | AWE Tuning Touring Turbo-back | Unibrace UB | CTS Turbo Catch Can | NeuSpeed TOP | ECS Throttle Pipe | I have VCDS if you need it!

22. 05-31-2017 08:48 PM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Tanderson2491 View Post
      Your BOV replaces the DV then.
      But the noise happens on WOT

Vehicles
      2012 GLI
      05-31-2017 09:50 PM #23
      Quote Originally Posted by Jimmydean956 View Post
      But the noise happens on WOT
      Then the seal on your BOV is leaking.

For advertising information click HERE