KilometerMagazine.com - speaker wire replacement
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      1966 Beetle, 1986 Cabrio, 2016 GTi, 2011 JSW
      05-19-2017 11:00 AM #1
      I need to rewire all the speakers; they're broken at the door jambs. With the head unit out I can access all the ends - is it possible to use them as pull wires to pull from the door jamb back to the head unit?

I'm guessing the speakers in the back seat have wire that run under the carpet?

Vehicles
      90, 92, 93 Cabriolet They own you.
      05-19-2017 03:01 PM #2
      Quote Originally Posted by vw fiend View Post
      I need to rewire all the speakers; they're broken at the door jambs. With the head unit out I can access all the ends - is it possible to use them as pull wires to pull from the door jamb back to the head unit?

I'm guessing the speakers in the back seat have wire that run under the carpet?
      You could try that I suppose, however they enter the "A" pillar at an angle and that is a real butt kicker sometimes.

It would be easy to do with a fish tape, and make a soldered connection at the Radio head connector (solder/heat shrink) I would work from the door remove the bellows from the door and the "A" pillar then use a Fish tape and push it in to the cabin (Cut wire hanger works good.) from the door into the cabin. You will need enough to feed down the door to the speakers.....

Yes the speakers in the rear usually the passenger side runs under the carpet to the drivers side, then up to the dash...
      If the rears are ok, then I would leave them be and concentrate on the door/"a" pillar.

Vehicles
      06-01-2017 12:48 PM #3
      Thank you for the reply!

Since it sounds like pulling the wires is a no go, or just not a great idea - how much of the dash has to come apart to make the job manageable? Cluster out and bits of trim enough?

I was planning on using automotive speaker wire, which is what I used to use; thats still the way to do it these days, I hope?

Vehicles
      06-01-2017 02:31 PM #4
      Quote Originally Posted by vw fiend View Post
      Thank you for the reply!

Since it sounds like pulling the wires is a no go, or just not a great idea - how much of the dash has to come apart to make the job manageable? Cluster out and bits of trim enough?

I was planning on using automotive speaker wire, which is what I used to use; thats still the way to do it these days, I hope?
      No Pulling wires may work, but there are funny things that can happen. I would suppose that if you took them off the speaker and soldered the new wire to the old, then you may be able to pull it, but I sure would lubricate the new wires and the old so they pull easier, and taking the boot off the wires between the door and the frame may assist you further....

Pulling wires is a challenge, I have done enough of it over the years to take it with a few beers prior.... Speaker wire is easy compared to pulling a new antenna wire through a airplane after you have to take Deck plates up, and drain fuel cells.... and loosen 50 Cable clamps....

I would remove the Fascia, Switches Radio, then loosen the two screws that hold the heater controls so you can get in there and not break anything like the heater control mounting tabs.

Vehicles
      06-05-2017 11:48 PM #5
      heater controls are already toast, sadly. thanks again!

Vehicles
      06-06-2017 08:09 AM #6
      Controls are toast, as in broken mounting tabs, or the slider cap is off?
      I have fixes for both.

Heater Control Pivot broke:

A/C temp slider pops out.

A/C Control Mount broken.

Vehicles
      06-06-2017 11:03 PM #7
      The mounts are broken at the very least. The site you linked is great, thank you for that.

I have access to a couple different types of 3D printers and had tossed around the idea of printing parts to mod my existing broken controls...

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 02 Passat NevarLose wagon; '12 Fusion SEL (wife's.) Past: '86 QSW, '87 Golf
      06-07-2017 12:32 PM #8
      Quote Originally Posted by briano1234 View Post
      Controls are toast, as in broken mounting tabs, or the slider cap is off?
      I have fixes for both.

Heater Control Pivot broke:

A/C temp slider pops out.

A/C Control Mount broken.
      Related question:
      Do you have (or have a link to) a way to fix a vacuum leak in the HVAC controls? Mine leaks in 'vent', and I haven't been able to find a fix for it yet.
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 4
      things currently broken (Passat): 4

Vehicles
      06-07-2017 02:41 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by cuppie View Post
      Related question:
      Do you have (or have a link to) a way to fix a vacuum leak in the HVAC controls? Mine leaks in 'vent', and I haven't been able to find a fix for it yet.
      Well that could be but not limited to the Cloth hoses that attach the Servo Vents to the Vacuum Distributor, The Vacuum Distributor iself, or one of the 2 servo's inside the car.

You can take the Vacuum Distributor out and clean Take it apart Spring, Clip and pin. Clean the Rubber Maze, and the Plastic pad. Replace the cloth covered hoses with Fresh Vacuum lines, and place a thin film of Vaseline on the rubber maze (i mean thin). There is one rubber hose that goes to the center/Defrost servo, that you will not be able to connect new to, unless you remove the Dash. I would clip the end of the vac line to get a better seal, You can trim or replace the cloth to hard line. Then Spring the Spring out a wee bit to increase tension.

No, you can't get a new Vacuum Distributor, it is part of the controller assembly, no separate pn that I know of. Salvage from the Wrecking yards is a good thing to watch for.

Vehicles
      88 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); 02 Passat NevarLose wagon; '12 Fusion SEL (wife's.) Past: '86 QSW, '87 Golf
      06-07-2017 05:13 PM #10
      Brian,
      Thanks, I'll give the clean & regrease a try.
      It's definitely the selector, not the servo - it leaks (audibly) in 'face', but not in 'normal A/C' (which, as you know, has the air coming out of the same vents.)
      - Cup
      '88 Scirocco 16v, 'tastefully' modified.
      Click here for my Cincy pics
      things currently broken (Scirocco): 4
      things currently broken (Passat): 4

For advertising information click HERE