KilometerMagazine.com - If you don’t take sides both sides hate you - NY Times profile of Jimmy Fallon
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      2015 VW Passat V6 (mine), 2012 VW Beetle 2.5 (wife's)
      05-19-2017 02:47 PM #1
      I was always more of a Letterman fan but now I might give Fallon another chance. I'm sick of politics from either "side" or from any "source," and I respect Mr. Fallon for staying out of this as well. Politics have made my friends/family/coworkers more unbearable, Facebook even less usable (it was always useless, now even more so), and so much of TV unwatchable.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/05/17/a...iew-trump.html

Mr. Leno, who was both praised and criticized for his evenhanded approach to political comedy, said that kind of centrism was almost impossible today.

“We live in an era now where if you don’t take sides, both sides hate you,” Mr. Leno said.

During the 1990s and 2000s, Mr. Leno said, the stakes seemed somehow lower, the presidential caricatures more harmless. “Bush was dumb, and Clinton was horny,” he said. “When I was doing a monologue, I never questioned anybody’s patriotism — you questioned their judgment.”

As much as the current administration seems to serve up easy laughs on a plate, Mr. Leno wondered whether contemporary late-night hosts were overindulging in this type of comedy.

“I am not a Trump fan at all, not in the slightest, not in the least,” he said. “But this constant pounding does have a tendency to anesthetize your feelings.”

To look across the current late-night spectrum, Mr. Leno said, “It should be called, ‘What Did Trump Do Now?’ That’s basically what everybody’s monologue is. You almost wish for a normal day, just to have a joke.”

< snip >

“I do think there’s some nobility in trying to do a show for more people, as opposed to doing a show for less,” Mr. Meyers said.

He added, “After the hot takes are dead and gone, and the carcasses are strewn about, having fun is pretty undefeated as a way to spend your time.”

Tina Fey, who was Mr. Fallon’s co-anchor on “Weekend Update,” said that a sharp partisan turn was simply not in his character.

“Jimmy is not a political comedian, so it would be very phony of him to go out and do long political joke rants just because that’s what some people want,” Ms. Fey said in an email. “‘The Tonight Show’ has historically been a friendly, light show.”
      "Upgrade with OEM Parts" -- Roger Moore and SVTWEB, you are missed

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Aficionado
      You can measure the power of a car, but you cannot measure the smile it puts on your face.

2. Member
      Vehicles
      97 mv
      05-19-2017 02:57 PM #2
      Tis true about the taking sides thing... Ralph Nader would most whole heartedly agree.

tapped out with a thumb or two...

Vehicles
      '12 Focus SE, '15 Outback Limited
      05-19-2017 03:05 PM #3
      I love Colbert but he needs to slow down. It is getting to be a bit much.

Vehicles
      2015 Fusion Wagon Allroad Turbo
      05-19-2017 03:32 PM #4
      One day, there'll be a day without any Trump news. I think we all look forward to it (as in the lack of Trump news, not necessarily a lack of jokes about it).

In terms of talk shows and late night shows, there's so many to choose from that it's good that some don't get into the political joke fray. You're rarely going to see someone like Ellen make a big deal of political news, just occasionally throw a spontaneous zinger in an interview segment. Someone like Colbert, you expect it (it's kind of his whole shtick). If you don't like the jokes, just watch something else. It's like turning off SportsCenter when the baseball highlights come on... because I don't care

05-19-2017 03:34 PM #5
      Quote Originally Posted by g-man_ae View Post
      ...I'm sick of politics from either "side" or from any "source,"...
      Which means we all know what "side" you're actually on, and what "sources" you like.

Fallon's getting low ratings. Isn't that how the free market is supposed to work?

deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties
      Vehicles
      Gee oh elle eff, Vee oh elle tea
      05-19-2017 03:47 PM #6
      Not funny, is he supposed to be funny?

Wait, is this the popular late night host or is it the other one.

Damn millennials.

Vehicles
      All Mazdas: CX-9, 3, Miata
      05-19-2017 10:11 PM #7
      I like Fallon, but part of his struggle is the "worship" he provides to all things celebrity. He can be very funny, but kissing celeb butt grows tired, when there is little meat to a segment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '15 Fiesta ST; '16 GTI
      05-19-2017 10:14 PM #8
      Fallon ****ed up every sketch he was in in SNL and I hated him. That said, he does a good job on his current show. But I still don't like him that much.

Vehicles
      2015 VW Passat V6 (mine), 2012 VW Beetle 2.5 (wife's)
      05-19-2017 11:11 PM #9
      Quote Originally Posted by vwtool View Post
      Which means we all know what "side" you're actually on, and what "sources" you like.
      No you don't.

Fallon's getting low ratings. Isn't that how the free market is supposed to work?
      Slightly lower ratings. Did you even read the article? Or did you pre-judge to know all about it, like you did me?
      "Upgrade with OEM Parts" -- Roger Moore and SVTWEB, you are missed

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Aficionado
      You can measure the power of a car, but you cannot measure the smile it puts on your face.

10. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-20-2017 12:29 AM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by Mike! View Post
      One day, there'll be a day without any Trump news. I think we all look forward to it (as in the lack of Trump news, not necessarily a lack of jokes about it).
      No Trump news means the man's been dead a very long time, every skeleton has been brought to light, and all his buddies have been driven from public life. So yes I agree, I think we all look forward to it.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

11. Whine Connoisseur WhineMCABasket2.0t's Avatar
      Vehicles
      Lighten up Francis
      05-20-2017 12:31 AM #11
      I think the best position is to take both sides. Find the thing that rallies Dems but doesn't do much to disturb GOP and vice versa. Then you have yourself a winning position. Not sure what that is though.
      I'm just a regular Joe, with a regular job. I'm your average white, suburbanite slob.

Quote Originally Posted by Rabbit5GTI
      You have cornered the entire 'I hate Ford Fusions' market around here
      Quote Originally Posted by Turbio!
      Pure electric vehicles will never fully replace fueled (pure ICE or PHEV) vehicles.

For advertising information click HERE