KilometerMagazine.com - Home Electrical Question - Arc Fault breaker tripping
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      05-19-2017 05:28 PM #1
      We have a guest room in our house that serves as an exercise room for my wife and I. Recently, we bought a NordicTrack treadmill that is now in this room. After a month or two of having and using the treadmill the breaker for that room has been tripping a few times a week and it seems to happen either when when the motor on the treadmill is starting up or even when it's completely powered down and nothing in the room is being used. Also, we just got back from a week out of town and before we left my wife unplugged the treadmill. When we got back, the breaker was tripped.

Besides the treadmill, we also have the following electronics in the room:

46" Samsung LED LCD TV
      ~1 year old Samsung Blu-Ray player
      Nintendo Wii
      Wireless phone handset

The above 4 items have been in that room for years without causing any problems so I'm not convinced any of them are the cause. Also, none of them are used (are powered off) when the treadmill is being used. Obviously the treadmill is the standout since it's the new variable and the fact that the breaker does sometimes trip when the motor starts does point to it, but the breaker did trip while we were gone and the treadmill was unplugged so that makes me wonder if the breaker itself is just going bad.

This is the breaker, since this is a bedroom it has one of those Arc Fault breakers:

The breakers for the other two bedrooms also have them. Here is the entire panel:

I need to call an electrician but I wanted to run it by you guys in here to see what your thoughts are.

Thanks!

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 MDX, '00 rustrunna daily edition
      05-19-2017 05:34 PM #2
      Did you try putting the treadmill on another circuit? I know they are a pain to move but you could do it with an extension cord.

Just to see if the treadmill is the issue or the breaker.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vehicles
      '15 STI & '16 R
      05-19-2017 06:40 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by candy11 View Post
      Did you try putting the treadmill on another circuit? I know they are a pain to move but you could do it with an extension cord.

Just to see if the treadmill is the issue or the breaker.
      I have not and not sure why that didn't occur to me. Probably because it's impossible to move. I'll give that a shot.

4. Member Frank@AntwerpenPerformance's Avatar
      Vehicles
      13 mb c300, 07 tundra, 03 24v gli, 89 e30
      05-20-2017 07:40 AM #4
      I was just about to say the same thing, sounds like too much amps being pulled when that motor starts up or surges with all those other items on the circuit.
      class steppin'

For advertising information click HERE