KilometerMagazine.com - For post #30,000 ,TCL, find me a truck near me!
Username or Email Address
Do you already have an account?
Forgot your password?

The Car Lounge
      Vehicles
      Some American, British, German, and a bunch of Japanese.
      05-19-2017 11:33 PM #1
      Ok, here's the deal. I'm thinking of buying someone a birthday present, but I think it might be impossible. So this is right up your alley TCL.

Budget: $10,000 but would love to get away with less.

This is what I want:

Toyota Tacoma

V6

Manual transmission

Extended cab or 4 door (but I don't know if the 4 door was ever available with a manual)

Less than or about equal to 100,000 miles

4WD

Cruise control

Manual windows

A/C

A real color (not grey, white, or black)

The newer the better (did they stop offering a manual V6 in 2004?)

Clean title (no bent frames)

Stock as stock can be. This might be his last truck.

What say you, oh mighty TCL, can it be done? I have until June 20th.

Lots of VW stuff|Rare Scirocco parts!
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.
      Quote Originally Posted by Crimping Is Easy View Post
      You're always better off with a Citroën.™

2. Member
      Vehicles
      Old German Japanese & American
      05-19-2017 11:42 PM #2
      Double cab was auto only.

Vehicles
      05-19-2017 11:43 PM #3
      Quote Originally Posted by Sonderwunsch View Post
      Double cab was auto only.
      Figures. Ok, extended cab it is.
      The family: '55 Ford 351C, '70 TR6 262Olds, '80 Rabbit AAZ, '84 C30 350, '88 Scirocco 9A, '97 Hardbody KA24E, '01 TJ 150AMC.

Vehicles
      '91 MKIII Scirrocco, '78 SuperCab F-150 Quattro with 460 Cu. In. Of Eco terror.
      05-19-2017 11:49 PM #4
      Good luck with that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

Vehicles
      '16 Golf R, '08 MDX, '00 rustrunna daily edition
      05-20-2017 09:34 AM #5
      It can be done. I sold the exact truck you are looking for last year.

Met all criteria except the weird "roll up window" one. (Seriously the motors don't break, go power, it's 2017....)

Just curious, have you driven one for about an hour? I found it really uncomfortable...

6. 05-20-2017 10:21 AM #6
      That is damn specific for a 15 year old truck.

Vehicles
      It varies.
      05-20-2017 10:35 AM #7
      Do clean 4WD Tacomas with less than 100,000 miles ever sell for less than $10,000?
      Now this was a superior machine. Ten grand worth of gimmicks and high-priced special effects. The rear windows lit up with a touch like frogs in a dynamite pond. The dashboard was full of esoteric lights and dials and meters that I would never understand.

Vehicles
      88 F150, 04 RX8, 96 T&C LXi
      05-20-2017 10:37 AM #8
      "Sometimes, I have a sudden urge to fart on this chair."

Vehicles
      '91 MKIII Scirrocco, '78 SuperCab F-150 Quattro with 460 Cu. In. Of Eco terror.
      05-20-2017 10:44 AM #9
      There is your unicorn, better jump on that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
      We're the middle children of history, man. No purpose or place. We have no Great War. No Great Depression. Our Great War's a spiritual war... our Great Depression is our lives. We've all been raised on television to believe that one day we'd all be millionaires, and movie gods, and rock stars. But we won't. And we're slowly learning that fact. And we're very, very pissed off.

10. Member
      Vehicles
      2009 BMW 328i xDrive Wagon 6MT
      05-20-2017 01:28 PM #10
      Quote Originally Posted by BRealistic View Post
      Yea, that's a $15-16k truck around here.

Make sure the frame doesn't have any holes in it.

I'll echo the comments about the ride...the ride totally sucks on these, and the manual sucks too. The second gen is much better but the ride and shifter still suck, and a V6 6mt 4wd truck is over $20k for something with sub 100k miles on it. They did make a 4 door V6 6mt 4wd in the second generation trucks.

Since the OP is a female, she'd probably fit in the seats better than me, Tacoma seats are made for small people. I'm 6'2" and was really uncomfortable in my second gens, and the first gens are worse.

But I guess reliability and resale trump all, right?

Vehicles
      05-20-2017 01:52 PM #11
      The ad has been pulled already

Quote Originally Posted by mrothwell View Post
      Yea, that's a $15-16k truck around here.

Make sure the frame doesn't have any holes in it.

I'll echo the comments about the ride...the ride totally sucks on these, and the manual sucks too. The second gen is much better but the ride and shifter still suck, and a V6 6mt 4wd truck is over $20k for something with sub 100k miles on it. They did make a 4 door V6 6mt 4wd in the second generation trucks.

Since the OP is a female, she'd probably fit in the seats better than me, Tacoma seats are made for small people. I'm 6'2" and was really uncomfortable in my second gens, and the first gens are worse.

But I guess reliability and resale trump all, right?
      I already have a '98 Tacoma. I use it mainly for trips of 500 miles or more. I find the cabin to be of good size, the seats are comfortable, and the ride is great. Mine is a 2.7, 5 speed, 4WD. The shifter seems just fine? It's all what you're used to I guess.

I daily drive a '92 Toyota pickup. Cadillac ride...but also the classic reverse rake. Worn out springs is probably why the ride is so soft.

I also still have that showroom/low mile Hardbody.

12. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-20-2017 02:02 PM #12
      Quote Originally Posted by Iroczgirl View Post
      The ad has been pulled already
      You need to watch CL, cargurus, Autotrader, Cars.co,, etc daily and be ready to jump with cash in hand.
      I was surprised to find that 117k mile 4x4 nice Taco ad for under 10k.. since it was several days old.
      Not surprised the seller had to take it down.

13. 05-20-2017 03:03 PM #13
      I seriously looked at 2nd gen 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacomas a few years ago. Found a nice one (2010 or something), went and test drove it while it happened to be raining and found out it had 2 speed wipers. My immediate internal reaction was WTF. I understand it is a pretty basic truck, but that was such a joke I couldn't believe it. The manual windows were also a disappointment. My 1986 Jetta was about 4 or 5 cranks from up to down, the Tacoma took about 30 seconds of high speed winding to get the windows up and down...too much reduction.

Go V6 SR5 or better all day everyday. And seriously take a look at the automatics, they drive great and are solid transmissions (both original and second gen Tacoma's). The manuals have really long throws, and are very "truck-like" (shifter rocks around under load/off load). The 6 speed in the 2nd gen Tacoma sounds fun, but really isn't.

Also look on Autotrader and the like in states where 4 wheel drive isn't really needed (Texas for example), the premium on 4x4 trucks and Toyota's in general doesn't seem to be quite as bad there.

Vehicles
      05-20-2017 03:13 PM #14
      You need to watch CL, cargurus, Autotrader, Cars.co,, etc daily and be ready to jump with cash in hand.
      I was surprised to find that 117k mile 4x4 nice Taco ad for under 10k.. since it was several days old.
      Not surprised the seller had to take it down.
      Cash is in hand. Oh, was your link for the blue Tacoma? I contacted that person but never heard back. That must have sold within hours of posting it for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by jaystone View Post
      I seriously looked at 2nd gen 4 cylinder 4x4 Tacomas a few years ago. Found a nice one (2010 or something), went and test drove it while it happened to be raining and found out it had 2 speed wipers. My immediate internal reaction was WTF. I understand it is a pretty basic truck, but that was such a joke I couldn't believe it. The manual windows were also a disappointment. My 1986 Jetta was about 4 or 5 cranks from up to down, the Tacoma took about 30 seconds of high speed winding to get the windows up and down...too much reduction.

Go V6 SR5 or better all day everyday. And seriously take a look at the automatics, they drive great and are solid transmissions (both original and second gen Tacoma's). The manuals have really long throws, and are very "truck-like" (shifter rocks around under load/off load). The 6 speed in the 2nd gen Tacoma sounds fun, but really isn't.

Also look on Autotrader and the like in states where 4 wheel drive isn't really needed (Texas for example), the premium on 4x4 trucks and Toyota's in general doesn't seem to be quite as bad there.
      SR5 would be great, and it seems that the vast majority of V6/manuals are SR5's. Manual is a must and so is 4wd. We get snow in Central Oregon and our road does not get plowed. We drive over the mountain passes on a regular basis as well.

Two years ago I found a red '96 Tacoma with one owner and super low miles for $7k. I should've bought it.

15. Geriatric Member BRealistic's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-20-2017 03:16 PM #15
      Cash is in hand. Oh, was your link for the blue Tacoma? I contacted that person but never heard back. That must have sold within hours of posting it for sale.
      Yep.
      What about a T-100?

Vehicles
      05-20-2017 05:09 PM #16
      Yep.
      What about a T-100?
      A combination of not new enough to find a low mile specimen and super rare in manual/4wd. I quit looking at the T-100 a while ago. But I am open to it, should there be one for sale in the specs I want.

Also, I can live with power windows.

17. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      2013 C300 4M, 2004 TRD Tacoma
      05-20-2017 06:09 PM #17
      I'll sell you my 2004 for $12K with an ARB bull bar and a color matching fiberglas top. Has @133k miles, 4x4, 5spd, replaced the exhaust, timing belt, acc belts, water pump, and did a full tune up within the past year. The ultra rare Lunar Mist, too.

Only problem is you'll have to fly to Maryland to retrieve it.

Now, the question is: If I dump the Benz and take the $12K that I get from this sale as a downpayment, would my clients mind looking at houses in a Raptor?

The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Vehicles
      05-20-2017 06:39 PM #18
      Quote Originally Posted by DeeJoker View Post
      I'll sell you my 2004 for $12K with an ARB bull bar and a color matching fiberglas top. Has @133k miles, 4x4, 5spd, replaced the exhaust, timing belt, acc belts, water pump, and did a full tune up within the past year. The ultra rare Lunar Mist, too.

Now, the question is: If I dump the Benz and take the $12K that I get from this sale as a downpayment, would my clients mind looking at houses in a Raptor?

Sadly I can't take time off from work right now...and a Maryland truck is probably rusty. On my '92, you can still read the assembly line marks on the frame.

19. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-21-2017 04:04 PM #19

Sadly I can't take time off from work right now...and a Maryland truck is probably rusty. On my '92, you can still read the assembly line marks on the frame.
      Toyota sprayed mine. I will neither confirm nor deny the presence of any other Toyota cancer.
      The above post may contain opinions, coarse language, offensive terms, spelling mistakes, and/or improper grammar. You have been warned.

Vehicles
      05-21-2017 04:17 PM #20
      Toyota sprayed mine. I will neither confirm nor deny the presence of any other Toyota cancer.

21. 05-21-2017 07:39 PM #21

Do want. The best color too.

22. Feels Like the First Time DeeJoker's Avatar
      Vehicles
      05-22-2017 11:21 AM #22
      Quote Originally Posted by Overland1 View Post
      Do want. The best color too.
      Lunar Mist : Tacomas :: Reflex Silver : MkIV VWs

For advertising information click HERE